More woe for nintendo

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

pantal00ns

Re: More woe for nintendo

Post by pantal00ns » Thu May 15, 2014 9:04 am

gman72 wrote:
sscott wrote: In saying all that, the enjoyment a small amount of forum members have got in seeing Nintendo stumble is bizzare to me. :?
Its disgusting, mate. Unfortunately its not just limited to Nintendo. The hatred for new games and consoles on here from a small minority is baffling, so much so that I combat it where ever I find it in these pages.
I am probably worse than the haters as I am currently apathetic to gaming as a whole.

Don't have much useful to contribute (as this post probably clarifies), but its still nice to read peoples opinions/enthusiasm on the hobby.

Your comment made me chuckle in a nice way, as I am trying to picture a "Current Gen Vigilante".

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu May 15, 2014 9:40 am

I don't mind the Xbox 360/Wii/PS3 generation, as there is a great library of videogames on offer, and very affordable with plenty of support even today despite new gen consoles being around. Theres never been a better time to own a PS3/360.

The issue with the NEW generation is lack of software and cost of the hardware (and some games). They do not reflect value for money or a huge shift in gaming. Its not like going from a SNES to a PS1/N64. Maybe in 12-18 months we will really notice games improving, but at the moment, none of the 3 consoles have a great library of games.

There will always be "early adopters" with consoles, and good for them, we need those people around. But personally, i think they're NUTS and have far too much dispoable cash to splash on technology which is only going to get cheaper, and usually more refined/reliable as the generation goes on. The Wii U for me is the only one of the current crop i'm at least considering, but I still think it needs to be below £200. (for premium pack + game)

I hope all 3 consoles succeed, although it looks like Nintendo will probably end up in 3rd place this generation. Sony look to have got back to "winning ways" of sorts, although their grasp of the handheld market is weaker than ever before. You can't have it all....

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu May 15, 2014 10:12 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
RetroBob wrote:The amount of ideas in 3D world is amazing. I am guessing that some of the people slating Nintendo in this thread have not actually played it.
Agreed it's probably Nintendo's best game in terms of innovation. We've just reviewed Mario Kart and it's a great game, but it's just more of the same. Needless to say we've not given it a 9 or a 10.
Don't mean to dredge up an old debate here, but it's why I fly off the handle when reviewers give games like The Last Of Us gushing 10/10 reviews even though the gameplay is barely evolved from Uncharted and (a bit further back) even Manhunt and then say that it's ridiculous to expect all new games to offer something genuinely 'new' so long as they refine things.

Perhaps Mario Kart 8 would have benefited from a stock post apocalyptic storyline featuring one plumber's angsty struggle to come to terms with never being able to see his old girlfriend Pauline again and a strained relationship with his brother, and bond with a young princess who may or may not hold the key to saving the lives of everybody in the Mushroom Kingdom on an epic journey through a series of increasingly dangerous racing tournaments? :lol:
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu May 15, 2014 10:18 am

Yeah, but it's Mario Kart. As long as it's not hideously broken - and that'll usually revolve around the presence and effectiveness of the dreaded blue shell - who gives a monkeys what the review scores are?

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Thu May 15, 2014 10:24 am

Matt_B wrote:Yeah, but it's Mario Kart. As long as it's not hideously broken - and that'll usually revolve around the presence and effectiveness of the dreaded blue shell - who gives a monkeys what the review scores are?
And the happy ending to this is the review scores are great :)

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu May 15, 2014 10:44 am

pantal00ns wrote:
gman72 wrote:
sscott wrote: In saying all that, the enjoyment a small amount of forum members have got in seeing Nintendo stumble is bizzare to me. :?
Its disgusting, mate. Unfortunately its not just limited to Nintendo. The hatred for new games and consoles on here from a small minority is baffling, so much so that I combat it where ever I find it in these pages.
I am probably worse than the haters as I am currently apathetic to gaming as a whole.

Don't have much useful to contribute (as this post probably clarifies), but its still nice to read peoples opinions/enthusiasm on the hobby.

Your comment made me chuckle in a nice way, as I am trying to picture a "Current Gen Vigilante".
I'm glad you get my sense of humour :wink:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

killbot

Post by killbot » Thu May 15, 2014 11:03 am

Regardless of whether people want to buy a Wii U, lack of games is no longer a reason to slate the system. Even if they aren't the kind of games you want to play, it obviously has a large slate of good games now. That's even if you only include Nintendo's first-party output, but some of the third party games are good too (the console even has what I consider the definitive versions of certain multi-format games, notably NFS: Most Wanted and Rayman Legends). It's a very good system with a large selection of good titles and the off-TV play feature is a godsend.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu May 15, 2014 11:37 am

killbot wrote:Regardless of whether people want to buy a Wii U, lack of games is no longer a reason to slate the system. Even if they aren't the kind of games you want to play, it obviously has a large slate of good games now. That's even if you only include Nintendo's first-party output, but some of the third party games are good too (the console even has what I consider the definitive versions of certain multi-format games, notably NFS: Most Wanted and Rayman Legends). It's a very good system with a large selection of good titles and the off-TV play feature is a godsend.
Absolutely, and it had a reasonable collect very early in its life span too.

I popped into Argos again today - the broken Wii U demo unit is still there and has been broken for a number of MONTHS. Stuff like that doesn't help.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Thu May 15, 2014 1:27 pm

killbot wrote:Regardless of whether people want to buy a Wii U, lack of games is no longer a reason to slate the system. Even if they aren't the kind of games you want to play, it obviously has a large slate of good games now. That's even if you only include Nintendo's first-party output, but some of the third party games are good too (the console even has what I consider the definitive versions of certain multi-format games, notably NFS: Most Wanted and Rayman Legends). It's a very good system with a large selection of good titles and the off-TV play feature is a godsend.
This.

I've got over 20 retail games now for the Wii U, all top games, and even more than that downloaded to the console itself, it certainly isn't short of games, if Nintendo dropped it today id still have more than enough to last me :D
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu May 15, 2014 1:39 pm

To me having issues with Xbox One or PS4 over a lack of software is strange. The consoles have been out marginally less than 6 months... what do you expect???
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu May 15, 2014 2:01 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:I don't mind the Xbox 360/Wii/PS3 generation, as there is a great library of videogames on offer, and very affordable with plenty of support even today despite new gen consoles being around. Theres never been a better time to own a PS3/360.

The issue with the NEW generation is lack of software and cost of the hardware (and some games). They do not reflect value for money or a huge shift in gaming. Its not like going from a SNES to a PS1/N64. Maybe in 12-18 months we will really notice games improving, but at the moment, none of the 3 consoles have a great library of games.
Isn't this pretty much always the case? Seems unfair to compare directly to last gen and say the 360/PS3/Wii have more games and everything's cheaper, this gen has barely started. It's probably not wrong to say it's a better time to own those consoles, at least if you're not concerned with online modes that no longer function, but I don't think we can really expect this gen to immediately offer now what last gen has taken years to provide.

Not saying people should be into this gen (I'm not yet, still have a Wii and retro backlog), by all means play whatever you want :) , just seems an unrealistic expection to compare generations now and expect them to be similar.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu May 15, 2014 6:04 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
RetroBob wrote:The amount of ideas in 3D world is amazing. I am guessing that some of the people slating Nintendo in this thread have not actually played it.
Agreed it's probably Nintendo's best game in terms of innovation. We've just reviewed Mario Kart and it's a great game, but it's just more of the same. Needless to say we've not given it a 9 or a 10.
Don't mean to dredge up an old debate here, but it's why I fly off the handle when reviewers give games like The Last Of Us gushing 10/10 reviews even though the gameplay is barely evolved from Uncharted and (a bit further back) even Manhunt and then say that it's ridiculous to expect all new games to offer something genuinely 'new' so long as they refine things.

Perhaps Mario Kart 8 would have benefited from a stock post apocalyptic storyline featuring one plumber's angsty struggle to come to terms with never being able to see his old girlfriend Pauline again and a strained relationship with his brother, and bond with a young princess who may or may not hold the key to saving the lives of everybody in the Mushroom Kingdom on an epic journey through a series of increasingly dangerous racing tournaments? :lol:
Hardly. Nintendo just need to stop making games based on checklists. Mario 3d world is a great example of them pushing the template of a genre. Mario kart isn't. That's not to say it's not a great game though. It's just nintendo on autopilot again.

Misery

Post by Misery » Thu May 15, 2014 8:24 pm

gman72 wrote:

It just depends on the individual. I doubt most people do it "because new = bad, zomg!!!"

Me, I simply dont like alot (most) of the trends that many major games, or just console games in general, are using these days. Cutscenes for instance.... I cant freaking stand the damn things. Or reliance on motion controls of any sort (and that goes for everyone, not just Nintendo). Or extreme grinding, extreme linearity, super low difficulty, lack of creativity.... the list goes on, and on, and on, and the number of games that have these issues is so high, that in the end, I dumped the consoles entirely, and probably will never return to them. There's just no reason to. Something like Dark Souls 2 is a step in the right direction at least.... except that I can just buy the PC version, so there's no need to deal with the consoles there. The same for quite a number of games... it's amazing how many get ported these days, either from or to consoles.

But disliking something simply because it's new? No. I wouldnt HAVE this blasted PC at all if that were the case. It exists in the form that it does specifically to play very high-end games (even if much of what I play is indie titles 50% of the time). Hell, I even bought freaking Titanfall. Age of Wonders 3 was another major purchase recently, that game took bloody forever to come out... seems worth it though.

As for the consoles, the actual machines themselves? I really.... just dont care. Not a matter of hate, just a matter of not really giving a damn. Nintendo's gizmo I at least thought had potential, squandered though it may have been. The others.... *shrugs*. They're normal, I guess? I've no interest beyond that.

I suspect that others might be thinking along similar lines. If it were a matter of hating anything at all new, then the individual in question probably hasnt bought any games at all in a LONG time, I'd guess. Console or otherwise.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu May 15, 2014 8:37 pm

I agree with Sephiroth in many ways regarding the Wii U. I too see it as too expensive for the hardware inside (if it were modern hardware it would be ok but it's about on-par with a almost decade old PC) and the games, while fun and polished, are more of the same. It's not really doing anything trully new and revolutionary outside of maybe The Wonderful 101 and the four-player mode in SM3DW. But even here I find it feels more "tacked on" and the fact that it means compromised (read: constrained) levels. The way I see things the 3D Marios should mainly be single-player oriented experiences, including the exploration aspect and a sense of scale and freedom.

Ironically enough, I think Lego Undercover (and even the supposedly flawed Sonic Lost World) might be more ambitious in concept than Nintendo's own offerings. What's saving Nintendo's own games is their non-arguable attention to detail and polish and the good, creative level design. But the abitiousness kinda isn't there anymore, imo. We more or less see proven concepts and "safe" ideas comming from that house these days.

With that said, I don't doubt I'd enjoy the system if I was given one. :wink:

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri May 16, 2014 3:52 am

John Lewis were clearing Wii U basic stock for £112 this morning... by the time I went to get my credit card, 900+ units gone.

Guess ebay will be flooded next week!!
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.