More woe for nintendo

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Scratch_Porkings

Re: More woe for nintendo

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:49 am

binaryRooster wrote:
sscott wrote: My son is absolutely loving MK8 but I have to limit him to an hour a day at his age. In fact, he's got approx. 17 mins on it left tonight! :D
Does he wonder why when he wakes up a bunch of new tracks and characters have been unlocked? "Ummm...that'll be the Nintendo fairy son".
:idea:

Lol, I'm my daughters Nintendo fairy, Christ some of the dross I've had to play!
Scott me up beamie!

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:11 pm

nakamura wrote:Patch it and ship it.

After all, it may use the Gamepad but in 95% of cases or more, it doesn't NEED it.
Are you suggesting that Nintendo should just 'patch' the entirety of the Wii U's operating system and Miiverse?

I don't like that they relied too heavily on the GamePad as much as a lot of other people don't, but to just completely axe it now at this late stage in the Wii U's life because a few people on the internet claim they'll buy a Wii U without a GamePad makes no sense, none at all.

It would create massive headaches for pretty much every existing game. The developers would have to patch the games, not Nintendo themselves (or do you expect Nintendo to do all of that as well?) and in some cases, some parts of the game would need to be completely reworked to accommodate not having the GamePad there. Just because you don't have to use the Gamepad in a lot of cases, the games have already been developed with the Gamepad in mind as their primary option.

It's just not viable at all.

Microsoft did the right thing with Kinect by not heavily supporting it to begin with and making it's use pretty much optional, so that they were able to get rid of it if needs be (like they have done). That's not the case with the GamePad.
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:19 pm

The gamepad is a joy to use I maintain that the gamepad is not the WiiUs problem. A pad style controller has been available since the machines launch anyway.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Son_of_Shinobi

Post by Son_of_Shinobi » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:53 pm

Taken from The Washington Post

"Sony ascendent. Sony may not be in a great place as an overall company, but it is killing it in the gaming world right now. Not only has the PlayStation 4 consistently beat out the Xbox One in worldwide sales, but the firm has also recently passed Nintendo as the most successful gaming hardware company in the world. As reported by the Nikkei Asian Review, a Japanese business publication, Sony's combined sales for the PlayStation and Vita lines passed Nintendo's combined handset and console sales for the first time in eight years".

Nintendo must be smarting over losing the No.1 position after so many years

zapiy

Post by zapiy » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:20 am

From my experience running a multiplatform gaming site, the members including me think the gamepad is awesome.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:52 am

zapiy wrote:From my experience running a multiplatform gaming site, the members including me think the gamepad is awesome.
I own one now, and while the concept is good and unique, its standard battery life could be improved (which i believe you can upgrade the battery....but should really be included by Nintendo now), and the range of the wireless isn't THAT good pending on walls and interference.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:58 am

Nintendo still knows how to make good games but they're pretty lost when it comes to business these days, imo. They're cornered by the "big boys" (i.e. PlayStation and Xbox) in the home console area and they have some fierce competition from the smartphones and tablets in the portable area.

It's ironic seeing the same leadership that gave Nintendo the much-desired success in the previous gen now also almost (almost because handhelds are still something they can currently rely on) completely blowing it away.

I'm not sure what exactly is the reason for this but I do think if they don't make some drastic changes their traditional console business may not carry them for very long and they could be forced to go the "Sega way".

Although we have to keep in mind that they still are a multi-billion gaming company with very recognizable mascots and game franchises and that "turn-arounds" are always possible.

I mean look at the PS3 - started out very last but eventually established itself as a very strong system. That's just the way the gaming market is - unpredictable. One gen you're first and the other you're the last. It happend to almost every big console maker.

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:16 am

32GB Wii-U with Nintendoland, £179.

http://direct.asda.com/Nintendo-Wii-U-3 ... html?awc=2

Not bad, very temepted myself but still trying to resist. :|

If it was bundled with a more tempting game like Mario I think I'd probably cave.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823