More woe for nintendo

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Shinobi

Re: More woe for nintendo

Post by Shinobi » Tue May 20, 2014 12:56 pm

Besides it seems to be the in thing seems to be bashing Nintendo on this forum, in the not so distance past there was constant threads about crap the 3DS and it would be the next Gizmondo and that Vita would beat it.. Look at the 3dS now!!

Same now its how crap the Wii U is and its got no good exclusives only Bayonetta 2 and Mario Kart 8.. I was told in Game that the Wii U is now selling really well and I could miss out on Mario Kart if I don't pre-order..

Regarding the PC being better for gaming as Mean Yob said A PC PRANNET: "You're a baboon, sir and I recommend you take your PC, sit your large red monkey ass on it and scratch your armpits while making loud whooping noises if you can't see that both the Megadrive and Super NES are better games machines than it." (MM, Iss.19, p.26).
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue May 20, 2014 1:05 pm

Shinobi wrote:I was told in Game that the Wii U is now selling really well and I could miss out on Mario Kart if I don't pre-order.

Yes, best pay us now. No ulterior motive there.............

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue May 20, 2014 1:08 pm

Negative Creep wrote:
Shinobi wrote:I was told in Game that the Wii U is now selling really well and I could miss out on Mario Kart if I don't pre-order.
Yes, best pay us now. No ulterior motive there.............
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I was really interested in the Wii U after getting in on the extended press playing session at Play a couple of years ago. Especially as a big fan of the Wii who could still play all his games on it.

However nearly 2 years on there is isn't a single game on it that makes me want to buy one. There are only 2 games on the console I am vaguely interested in and that isn't anywhere near good enough to make me even consider one, I will stick with the 360 for now and get a Xbox One when the price has come down.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue May 20, 2014 1:21 pm

Matt_B wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:Also, it was the first time a Nintendo system was seen as "too weak" by the general audience, which was backed by various tear-downs revealing last-gen level hardware, empty promises (the POWER7 CPU fiasco - it turned out it used a slightly improved Wii CPU core), complaints from several 3rd party devs about the CPU, ect. Nintendo probably thought the gamepad alone would motivate developers to make games for it, but in actuality there was both, a lack of muscle as well as audience that 3rd parties had to face on the Wii U.
I don't think it's the first time that's happened. The SNES and the Wii also copped a lot of criticism for having relatively weak CPUs compared to the competition, and it's not as if the NES and the N64 were seen as computational powerhouses either. The Cube is the only Nintendo console that anyone would say had a particularly good CPU for its time, and we all know what happened to that in the marketplace.
Well you have to put things into context - when the NES came out, it could do colorful and fast 2D graphics and smooth parallax scrolling (a feat back then). Sure, it was no Master System (let alone Amiga or Arcade), but it was still sufficient for good Arcade ports (yes you read that correctly :wink: ) and appealing exclusives. SNES had a weak CPU, true, but it made up for it with it's advanced graphics and sound capabilties and special, "in-cartridge" enhancement chips. The N64 was de facto the strongest 5th gen console, it simply had some bottle-necks (the cartridges being the most notable) and NGC was, over-all, a very "balanced" system (if out-muscled by the Xbox). Wii was a different story since it was, more or less, a over-clocked GameCube, but it played on other tune and that was the motion-controller and family appeal. But with Wii U, we can see that Nintendo wanted to bring back the "core" gamers by giving it better 3rd party support, HD capabilties, a more "traditional" controller, ect. But the issue is, a lot of older Nintendo fans abandoned them over time. For example I stopped buying Nintendo stuff after the GameCube and some others stopped already after the SNES. So we older guys aren't actually the demographic Nintendo can count on, as our tastes changed over time and although we can appreciate a good game, we might be more into other experiences (I for one am into older and more niche games in general). So that leaves the demographic that was buying the Wii en-mass. But even here we can see that many of those didn't migrate onto the Wii U. I honestly think the Wii U is more of a "niche" system, in the sense that it will get it's share of classic Nintendo games and a handful of unique exclusives, but won't actually break any sales records.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue May 20, 2014 1:26 pm

Shinobi wrote: Regarding the PC being better for gaming as Mean Yob said A PC PRANNET: "You're a baboon, sir and I recommend you take your PC, sit your large red monkey ass on it and scratch your armpits while making loud whooping noises if you can't see that both the Megadrive and Super NES are better games machines than it." (MM, Iss.19, p.26).
Good thing that all PC gamers have access to SNES and MD games, then. :wink:

But let's not turn this into another "PC vs consoles" kinda thread, eh? :wink:

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue May 20, 2014 1:39 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
Shinobi wrote: Regarding the PC being better for gaming as Mean Yob said A PC PRANNET: "You're a baboon, sir and I recommend you take your PC, sit your large red monkey ass on it and scratch your armpits while making loud whooping noises if you can't see that both the Megadrive and Super NES are better games machines than it." (MM, Iss.19, p.26).
Good thing that all PC gamers have access to SNES and MD games, then. :wink:

But let's not turn this into another "PC vs consoles" kinda thread, eh? :wink:
What are these PC's that you can plug original cartridges into and use original controllers with then? Not seen them myself.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Tue May 20, 2014 1:55 pm

You've never seen the Amstrad one then Laird :)

Anyway, who needs a PC to play console games? I can do that on my phone...
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue May 20, 2014 1:58 pm

slacey1070 wrote:You've never seen the Amstrad one then Laird :)
Touche! :lol:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue May 20, 2014 2:30 pm

The Laird wrote:What are these PC's that you can plug original cartridges into and use original controllers with then? Not seen them myself.
http://www.retrocollect.com/News/retrod ... gress.html
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue May 20, 2014 2:42 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
The Laird wrote:What are these PC's that you can plug original cartridges into and use original controllers with then? Not seen them myself.
http://www.retrocollect.com/News/retrod ... gress.html
1. Isn't a PC.
2. Still uses emulation.
3. Only takes a SNES pad.
4. Only supports 2 consoles.
5. Don't care.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue May 20, 2014 2:51 pm

If Nintendo put their old games on Steam, they'd make a fortune, imo (given they would be priced fairly). Because that's where a lot of those who were growing up on NES, SNES, GB, ect. now are on.

But I'll refrain from mentioning the PC when discussing consoles in the future since it seems it can casue some "emotional outbursts" on here... :wink:

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue May 20, 2014 4:10 pm

I think that would be a great idea. But I doubt it would happen. (Steam)

Eat your nans pants

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue May 20, 2014 6:22 pm

crusto wrote:I think that would be a great idea. But I doubt it would happen. (Steam)
That'll only happen when Nintendo stop making their own hardware, and I doubt that's going to be any time soon.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue May 20, 2014 7:12 pm

slacey1070 wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:Just think about how many people wish(ed) for a "full-blown" Pokemon game on a home Nintendo system - why is Nintendo refusing to acknowledge what their fan base actually wants? It seems all they care about it pumping out more Mario and Zelda. Nothing bad about those franchises, but how about giving some other, "forgotten" franchises a shot? Maybe that's what people actually want now, as opposed to simply more Mario (and a handful of unique, niche games the system has going for it).
I don't think Pokémon can be called a forgotten franchise :)

Geist... give me a reworked Geist... a clever game, with great ideas....
This.
Geist was class and I'd love a sequel.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue May 20, 2014 7:14 pm

:lol: spot on
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD