More woe for nintendo

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Antiriad2097

Re: More woe for nintendo

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri May 16, 2014 4:07 am

Out of stock within an hour or so, missed it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri May 16, 2014 4:16 am

me too - gutted.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri May 16, 2014 4:41 am

I'd guess that you'll only have to wait so long before there's another similar offer. Although they're still doing good business in some territories, particularly Japan, Nintendo seem to be flatlining particularly hard in the UK at the moment.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri May 16, 2014 4:51 am

And they are already appearing on ebay as newly listed! I hope they sell for £15.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Fri May 16, 2014 4:57 am

ToxieDogg wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
RetroBob wrote:The amount of ideas in 3D world is amazing. I am guessing that some of the people slating Nintendo in this thread have not actually played it.
Agreed it's probably Nintendo's best game in terms of innovation. We've just reviewed Mario Kart and it's a great game, but it's just more of the same. Needless to say we've not given it a 9 or a 10.
Don't mean to dredge up an old debate here, but it's why I fly off the handle when reviewers give games like The Last Of Us gushing 10/10 reviews even though the gameplay is barely evolved from Uncharted and (a bit further back) even Manhunt and then say that it's ridiculous to expect all new games to offer something genuinely 'new' so long as they refine things.

Perhaps Mario Kart 8 would have benefited from a stock post apocalyptic storyline featuring one plumber's angsty struggle to come to terms with never being able to see his old girlfriend Pauline again and a strained relationship with his brother, and bond with a young princess who may or may not hold the key to saving the lives of everybody in the Mushroom Kingdom on an epic journey through a series of increasingly dangerous racing tournaments? :lol:
I think Nintendo sometimes get judged more harshly because they have more to live up to... When you've made as many mind-blowingly good games as Nintendo merely making great games isn't enough... I've been absolutley loving everything they've been putting out in the wiiU, (I think Pikmin3 may be one of my favourite games of all time) but I can't help but notice my brain is still firmly placed inside my skull... Its a compliment really.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri May 16, 2014 8:18 am

Misery wrote:

As for the consoles, the actual machines themselves? I really.... just dont care. Not a matter of hate, just a matter of not really giving a damn. Nintendo's gizmo I at least thought had potential, squandered though it may have been. The others.... *shrugs*. They're normal, I guess? I've no interest beyond that.
I feel the same about PCs mate, but dont plaster it over every post i make.
To be completely fair to you, you've always had your stall set out with regards to consoles and have never changed your tune, and i do get that. Its those that hate for the sake of hating - and they are a minority - that get my goat.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri May 16, 2014 9:00 am

slacey1070 wrote:And they are already appearing on ebay as newly listed! I hope they sell for £15.
The bloke on Ebay has already gone beyond what he paid for the Wii U earlier this morning... this has not improved my mood much!

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri May 16, 2014 9:53 am

Still, that's 900 new Wii U owners in the UK, which can hardly be a bad thing.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri May 16, 2014 9:55 am

killbot wrote:Still, that's 900 new Wii U owners in the UK, which can hardly be a bad thing.
It is when I'm not one of them :)

Clever by JL with MK8 out today...

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri May 16, 2014 10:39 am

gman72 wrote:
Misery wrote:

As for the consoles, the actual machines themselves? I really.... just dont care. Not a matter of hate, just a matter of not really giving a damn. Nintendo's gizmo I at least thought had potential, squandered though it may have been. The others.... *shrugs*. They're normal, I guess? I've no interest beyond that.
But PC is hardly competition for the consoles, is it? :wink:

PC = multi-purpose computational device

console = cost-reduced entertainment computer

Gaming is just one aspect of the PC. And games get made on the PC. So it's not nearly as limited in it's functionality as a video game console is. A console is basically a regulated, cost-effective entertainment PC, but without the functionality of a home PC.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri May 16, 2014 10:46 am

Why are you telling me what a PC is?
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri May 16, 2014 10:51 am

gman72 wrote:Why are you telling me what a PC is?
Why the distaste for the system? It's basically "all consoles in one" and much more than that... :wink:

Misery

Post by Misery » Fri May 16, 2014 11:00 am

gman72 wrote:
Misery wrote:

To be completely fair to you, you've always had your stall set out with regards to consoles and have never changed your tune, and i do get that. Its those that hate for the sake of hating - and they are a minority - that get my goat.
*shrugs* I'm spacey, airheaded, and generally a bit strange. As a result I tend to repeat myself fairly often or say whatever I happen to be thinking at the time. And then sometimes forget that I did so 2 minutes later. Cant really make apologies for that stuff, 'tis just the way I am. Though, it's not like anyone HAS to read the things I say. Simply ignore me if I'm somehow being annoying.

That being said, I agree with you. I tend to hate lots of things myself, but it's my nature to do so and typically I have reasons for each. But I cant stand those who simply hate on things for troll-ish reasons, such as the lack of actually having a reason, or sometimes just "because". Or the worst one, hating something just to stir up anger. Pretty loathsome, as I see it.

Though, I dont think we really have any of that sort in this place. Probably.

outdated_gamer wrote:
Why the distaste for the system? It's basically "all consoles in one" and much more than that... :wink:

There's plenty of reasons though. Some hate them simply because they're so blasted annoying.

For as much as I'll ramble on about PC gaming and whatever, I still hate the accursed things half the time. At times it feels like they exist only to break down and cause trouble. Which is made worse by the price.
Last edited by Misery on Fri May 16, 2014 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri May 16, 2014 11:02 am

outdated_gamer wrote:
I'm not a big PC fan either. Lots of games, many of them great, most of them cheap... but they're so bloody fiddly to make work, too. There are so many PC games I just cannot get to run properly, or they run but the graphics glitch, or there are sound problems, or they keep crashing...

They've definitely become easier to use and more stable but still aren't brilliant. When I finally got an Xbox 360 recently one of my first acts was to clear my PC shelf of any game I could buy for the Xbox instead since it's almost certain to be less of a ball-ache to own it on console. Most of the games I now have for the PC are strategy or adventure titles that are only available on that format.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Misery

Post by Misery » Fri May 16, 2014 11:08 am

killbot wrote: I'm not a big PC fan either. Lots of games, many of them great, most of them cheap... but they're so bloody fiddly to make work, too. There are so many PC games I just cannot get to run properly, or they run but the graphics glitch, or there are sound problems, or they keep crashing...

Yep.

The only real way to avoid that stuff is to have a machine like mine, built from the ground up for sheer power and compatibility, meant solely for gaming in an overall sense.... but a machine like that costs a fortune. Many cannot afford that. And so the problems begin, and never seem to stop....

Or at least that's how it feels, anyway. I get tired of fixing the damned things whenever someone I know has theirs break down or go insane, which seems to happen every 5 minutes or so. Such frequency with the problems.