More woe for nintendo

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

outdated_gamer

Re: More woe for nintendo

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri May 16, 2014 3:21 pm

killbot wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:
gman72 wrote:Why are you telling me what a PC is?
Why the distaste for the system? It's basically "all consoles in one" and much more than that... :wink:
I'm not a big PC fan either. Lots of games, many of them great, most of them cheap... but they're so bloody fiddly to make work, too. There are so many PC games I just cannot get to run properly, or they run but the graphics glitch, or there are sound problems, or they keep crashing...

They've definitely become easier to use and more stable but still aren't brilliant. When I finally got an Xbox 360 recently one of my first acts was to clear my PC shelf of any game I could buy for the Xbox instead since it's almost certain to be less of a ball-ache to own it on console. Most of the games I now have for the PC are strategy or adventure titles that are only available on that format.
What I meant was that the new consoles have no advantages over the mid/high range PCs of today, hardware-wise (outside of maybe a bit lower power consumption and a bit smaller form factor). The reason why there are no PC versions of their games is simply a business decision (i.e. exclusives drive console sales).

Sure, if you seek convinience and lower initial price and are interested into the console exlcusives you can't go wrong with a console. But as far as functionality and usability is concerned, the PC is far above anything a console can offer. Like I said prior, it's not simply a "games machine". That's just one of the many aspects of the device.

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri May 16, 2014 4:19 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:It's basically "all consoles in one" and much more than that... :wink:
Obviously that's not literally true though. I refer you to a point I made recently in another thread:

I can't play say Kinect Sports Rivals, Super Mario 3D World or Killzone Shadow Fall on a PC, for example. Consoles have a place, between the 3 consoles there's just too many exclusive worthwhile games to instantly dismiss by saying a PC is all anybody would need, as though the actual games are inconsequential.

Just to be clear I do prefer the relative simplicity of consoles, but I don't hate PC, there seems to be a bit of an us vs them developing here and I don't think it's necessary. In an ideal world I'd have all consoles, all handhelds and a gaming PC, but as it isn't I prioritise the various platforms based on my specific needs, which for me is Mario and Zelda as they are always must haves, a PC isn't much help to me there.

And before anyone says you can just emulate the Wii and other past Nintendo systems on a PC, while possible and perhaps even quite practical, it's hardly much of an argument, as if to say the optimal way to game is to get into legally murky territory on a PC, otherwise if we're going down that route instead of deciding between systems we might as well just own all of them by just stealing them. :lol:
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri May 16, 2014 4:54 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:But as far as functionality and usability is concerned, the PC is far above anything a console can offer.
Well obviously it has more functionality than a console... ... ... Because it's a PC :lol:
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by usability if you mean PCs are easier to use than consoles then... no... that clearly is not the case.
Last edited by gman72 on Fri May 16, 2014 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri May 16, 2014 5:08 pm

pratty wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:It's basically "all consoles in one" and much more than that... :wink:
Obviously that's not literally true though. I refer you to a point I made recently in another thread:

I can't play say Kinect Sports Rivals, Super Mario 3D World or Killzone Shadow Fall on a PC, for example. Consoles have a place, between the 3 consoles there's just too many exclusive worthwhile games to instantly dismiss by saying a PC is all anybody would need, as though the actual games are inconsequential.

Just to be clear I do prefer the relative simplicity of consoles, but I don't hate PC, there seems to be a bit of an us vs them developing here and I don't think it's necessary. In an ideal world I'd have all consoles, all handhelds and a gaming PC, but as it isn't I prioritise the various platforms based on my specific needs, which for me is Mario and Zelda as they are always must haves, a PC isn't much help to me there.

And before anyone says you can just emulate the Wii and other past Nintendo systems on a PC, while possible and perhaps even quite practical, it's hardly much of an argument, as if to say the optimal way to game is to get into legally murky territory on a PC, otherwise if we're going down that route instead of deciding between systems we might as well just own all of them by just stealing them. :lol:
Exclusives are a fair argument for consoles but like I already said - the reason why they aren't on PC is business, not hardware.

Last gen was a little different - when the 360 came out, it gave the PC a run for it's money. You got a system that could rival high-end PC machines but without the required investment. When Gears of War came out, it was the most impressive game around. Although it was dethroned pretty fast by Crysis, it still was impressive for the time and system. And the PS3 might have been expensive and the Wii weak, but the PS3 had the exotic Cell tech and blu-ray player going for it and the Wii had the unique controller. But this gen is different - both competing systems (i.e. PS4 & XO) are basically mid-range PCs with no exotic tech or unique stuff going for them. And the Wii U is basically a low-end/laptop PC with a tablet-like controller. So outside of the exclusives and "gimmicks", they really got no arguments against a decently powered modern PC. Infact, you could build a comparable PC for a very similar sum of money.

You can play your original Wii games on PC emulators, btw. Only ones you can't emulate "clean" are the cartridge-based systems, but those are age-old anyway.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri May 16, 2014 5:20 pm

outdated_gamer wrote: Infact, you could build a comparable PC for a very similar sum of money.
So? For the price of a loaf of bread I could buy some flour and dough and my make my own.... I'm not going to though.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri May 16, 2014 5:25 pm

gman72 wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote: Infact, you could build a comparable PC for a very similar sum of money.
So? For the price of a loaf of bread I could buy some flour and dough and my make my own.... I'm not going to though.
If you account free online play and discounts of games on Stream, PC gaming is actually cheaper in the long run. :wink:

You don't need to upgrade it every few months either. That's just a myth or something overtly-enthusiastic PC gamers are doing.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri May 16, 2014 5:38 pm

I have a PC and consoles. I win ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri May 16, 2014 5:39 pm

I do get the advantages of PCs as you are explaining them and as a gamer obviously there would be games I would enjoy but for my personal tastes I prefer my gaming in a small box under my TV just next to my Sky + box. I can emulate many older systems with my consoles if I wish. For me it's just a matter of personal taste, I always have and will be a console gamer. I don't

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri May 16, 2014 5:44 pm

gman72 wrote:I prefer my gaming in a small box under my TV just next to my Sky + box.
Like a PC?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri May 16, 2014 6:13 pm

like a console, silly.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri May 16, 2014 6:35 pm

I used to love Pc gaming around the mid 90's, but soon got bored of lazy PC developers.

Instead of squeezing the best out of hardware and making the game available to the average user, it was just easier for them to up the specs needed to run the game rather than optimise the game to run with the hardware most people had.

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri May 16, 2014 7:11 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:Exclusives are a fair argument for consoles but like I already said - the reason why they aren't on PC is business, not hardware.
Well now you're talking about which is best which I think is a whole other discussion, ie which has the most grunt, obviously a maxed out PC could probably run any console's software in a hypothetical situation where it was asked to. However the fact is exlcusives are on consoles, so if we're talking is it worth owning a console in reality, sure it is, if you want to play it's games, just the same as a PC is also certainly worth owning if you want to play it's games.

As for the hardware of a PC, it's not the be all and end all, to my knowlege there is no PC controler with a 6-inch touchscreen in it. A typical PC set up isn't equipped to run games like Nintendoland, Zombie U and Wii-Party U that use the Wii-U's controller considerably. Now some clever people have already got wii-U controllers working on their PCs, but the point is are PC games being made to take advantage of that controller's many features? No, so for those sorts of gaming experiences you'd have to look beyond the PC.
outdated_gamer wrote:You can play your original Wii games on PC emulators, btw.
That's true, but what about the Wii-mote and Nunchuck, they hardly come as standard with your typical gaming PC. You can try to map them to a regular controller or keyboard and mouse but it's not the same. You could make do, or just play the Wii games that support regular controllers but you'd be making compromises, compromises you wouldn't have to make with the Wii hardware.

On this point perhaps we can see why Nintendo consoles come with such 'gimmickery', not only do they offer fairly unique and different experiences, but they are also difficult to emulate. The irony is that these 'gimmicks' will just put some people off, but at least those who do want to play Nintendo's games will be less likely to pirate via PC's, even if they pirate the software they will at least have to buy the hardware for the most part, or at least that's the idea.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

spuggybridge

Post by spuggybridge » Fri May 16, 2014 9:51 pm

Sel Feena wrote:Recently saw Kotaku trying to stir the pot with Ninty - http://kotaku.com/nintendo-responds-ter ... 1572973952 - those guys really are professional trolls.
outdated_gamer wrote:A realistic-looking Zelda or Metroid game could get a lot of attention too.
Metroid I could get behind, but I think a realistic-looking Zelda would just put me right off. It'd feel wrong to me somehow.
Got to agree on the realistic Zelda point as I have much the same complaints about Serious Sam in Hd, it's just not the same.

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri May 16, 2014 10:27 pm

spuggybridge wrote:
Sel Feena wrote:Recently saw Kotaku trying to stir the pot with Ninty - http://kotaku.com/nintendo-responds-ter ... 1572973952 - those guys really are professional trolls.
outdated_gamer wrote:A realistic-looking Zelda or Metroid game could get a lot of attention too.
Metroid I could get behind, but I think a realistic-looking Zelda would just put me right off. It'd feel wrong to me somehow.
Got to agree on the realistic Zelda point as I have much the same complaints about Serious Sam in Hd, it's just not the same.
I much prefer Wind Waker's art style to Twilight Princess's. Zelda is fundamentally a fairy story about a young boy rescuing a princess from an evil magician, why does it need to look like Skyrim?

Besides, LTTP looks cartoony and bright too and I don't remember anyone complaining about that.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Misery

Post by Misery » Sat May 17, 2014 1:49 am

outdated_gamer wrote:
gman72 wrote:
If you account free online play and discounts of games on Stream, PC gaming is actually cheaper in the long run. :wink:

You don't need to upgrade it every few months either. That's just a myth or something overtly-enthusiastic PC gamers are doing.

Indeed, these things are true.

I dunno why everyone thinks you need to buy new PC parts every other day or so, when that's.... never been true. I never upgrade mine, it's too annoying and I dont care enough to do so. Not to mention I'd probably end up destroying the thing out of anger halfway through the process. Me and hardware do not get along.

On the note of exclusives though.... that's one of the core reasons I dropped the consoles in the first place. There just werent even close to enough interesting ones on the consoles.... particularly not for someone that buys new stuff with the extreme frequency that I do. Alot of the biggest games already get ported to PC as it is, and half the time it seems like there just aint much other than those. Nintendo's stuff obviously being the exception. it's a bit more dramatic the other way around though. I have hundreds of games on this machine of mine. And I dont mean roms (as the number would then jump to about 7000+), I mean full games that were paid for. Of the entire archive of stuff on here, probably about..... 8 of them, if that, can be found anywhere on consoles. Not counting MMOs here, either, because those are a bit too obvious. Every genre except MMOs, sports (argh, hate), and JRPGs, which I wont touch. Other types of RPGs are fine though.

There's one thing, and ONLY one thing, that I HAVE to use the consoles for, which is fighting games. The vast majority of them never hit PC. A very few have, but I dont care about those. Fortunately I dont have to actually OWN the consoles in question though, I just play them at friends' houses. Fortunately for the sanity of everyone involved, this does not require the next-gen consoles yet.

Though again, all of that PC stuff comes with the price of "ARGH WHY WONT THIS DAMN THING WORK?!?!? DIE, YOU WRETCHED HEAP!!!" followed probably by more yelling and smashy sounds. None of that on consoles, in theory anyway. There's always the matter of the RROD or stuff like that, but those are at least very simple "send it in, get fixed/replaced, done" solutions. Though I could probably find a few reasons to punt one of them down a flight of stairs.

Also, the bit about the Wii emulator, yes, it IS actually possible to use the Wii-mote and it's various connected bits on a PC with that emulator. I'm not going to try to explain the process here. Too many four-letter words. Hardware is involved.