A period of time when you didn't own a console?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Kilb

Re: A period of time when you didn't own a console?

Post by Kilb » Thu May 08, 2014 2:25 am

Up until 1994(?) with the release of the Atari Jagwaaar

Yep, I always back a winner

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Thu May 08, 2014 4:03 am

when i went off to university in 1996, i left my c64/amiga etc at my parents house, and just took the pc. luckily, one house mate had a ps1, and the other had a snes. then in the next shared student house, i found an amiga with a few hundred games in the brick built out-house. it was meant to be... 8)

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Thu May 08, 2014 4:09 am

I must have been 5 when my dad picked up a second hand Atari 2600 and I've had a console ever since so there wasn't much of a period when I didn't have a console

merman

Post by merman » Thu May 08, 2014 6:30 am

The first console I owned was the SNES (bought in 1994 from someone upgrading to the newly released Sony Playatation...). Before that all I owned was the C64, but played other consoles and computers at friends' houses.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Thu May 08, 2014 1:30 pm

Prior to getting my Master System (so, 90 I think) it was just a Speccy.
After that all consoles until 97 when I got my PC. Completely missed the PS1/Saturn/N64 console age.
Got a DC in 2000, but was still very much PC only at heart. Which stayed the same until 2006 or 2007 when I got the 360.
To an extent, post-DC I did have consoles as well (PS2 early on, xbox late on 2005 ish) but they were pretty much glorified DVD players most of the time.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Thu May 08, 2014 1:52 pm

For a brief period in 2012 I didn't own any. Then I bought some stuff and sold it again. Last year I bought a PS3 in March. Since then, well, check my signature.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu May 08, 2014 2:44 pm

Thinking back on the question, I've always owned a console. I still have the old VCS clone I acquired in the 70s. Never played it as I had much better games, but it was still there. The games on that thing were awful. The only decent cart I had was 2 player (a Combat clone), so mostly I played blackjack or did the maths puzzles on it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Thu May 08, 2014 2:59 pm

born in 81
family got a pc in 89
got an md in 93
got a gg in 94?
family got another pc in 97
md sold in 98
gg sold in 01?
pc gaming was near impossible on the pc too by then

ps2 bought when vice city came out, still have it
bought a snes sometime around 03, sold it at some point before moving out in 09

these days i own 11 consoles :shock:

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Thu May 08, 2014 4:43 pm

I dont remember any point in my life where i haven't had a console. We had a NES when I was about 2 I think, and have always had consoles since through each generation. The only time I've really slowed down gaming was around the age of 16-18 due to a heavy obsession with anime and asian cinema. Oh, and drink :D

killbot

Post by killbot » Thu May 08, 2014 6:18 pm

Our first home consoles were a Saturn and a PlayStation, Christmas '95. My brother got the PS and I got the Saturn.

Prior to that we'd had an Acorn Electron and then an Amiga, so we'd always had games in the house but never a dedicated console. I can't recall a time after that when I didn't have a console. Maybe for a few months after I first went to uni in '98, but I quickly blew my student loan on a second hand N64.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Misery

Post by Misery » Thu May 08, 2014 6:59 pm

Always had one myself.

Parents had bought a 2600 before I was born, which then quickly became mine.

Always had new consoles each generation from then onward.

Though, now is the first generation where I wont have the CURRENT consoles, so that's very different for me. Dont need, dont want. And I no longer have even a single bit of anything from the PS2/GCN/Xbox era, as while I thought the Xbox was okay, the GCN only existed for Phantasy Star, and the PS2 I loathed, so all of those got sold. Barely have much from the last generation either... only a JP 360 unit for imports, and a PS3 somewhere, also kept only because of the one import game I have for it.

Everything else though.... still got all of them even all these years later.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri May 09, 2014 5:28 pm

Yep, since my first early console with a 'sports' cartridge (bat/ball pong games) always had a console going, trading up each time and selling or giving away the previous.

There was times it'd sit away for a while unused, but always there :)

Roo

Post by Roo » Sat May 10, 2014 5:22 am

I might as well have not had any consoles between early 2005 and late 2006 - I was more interested in being a teenager, partying and getting wrecked than playing GameCube and PS2. Think I bought one game in that entire time. I don't know if I'd be gaming today if the Wii didn't come along.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Sat May 10, 2014 11:39 am

Got a pong machine in 78 and have never been without a console since, because I've still got my original 2600. Good thread I've never really thought about that.
Scott me up beamie!

stevenhowlett

Post by stevenhowlett » Sun May 11, 2014 6:58 am

I've owned a computer/console since 1982. There has never been a period after this time when I haven't been able to play games.

As I've grown older, my choice of games has changed a lot. In the beginning, I would pretty much play anything. Now, I tend to steer towards stratagy games and avoid anything that requires razor sharp reflexes. The only exception to this rule is Mario Kart.

I can't imagine a time when I will never own a console of some form, but I'm sure the day will eventually come.
NEW RETRO BOOK - DIARY OF AN 80s COMPUTER GEEK
A Decade Of Micro Computers, Video Games and Cassette Tape
Available from Amazon Books (£3.50) and Amazon Kindle (79p)