A period of time when you didn't own a console?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

MattyC64c

A period of time when you didn't own a console?

Post by MattyC64c » Wed May 07, 2014 3:00 pm

Hello peeps!

So anyone ever had a period of time where they didn't own a games console?

Between about 1999 to 2005 I owned no consoles. I was a pure PC gamer. During that period, the only time I ever used a controller was for retro gaming on emulators. In 2005 I purchased the original Xbox, mainly for racing games like Burnout, Outrun and fighting games such as Soul calibur. Then I had an Xbox 360 and soon I hope to own a PS4 - after a rather poor start with a certain Xbox One console.

What's your story?

DPrinny

Re: A period of time when you didn't own a console?

Post by DPrinny » Wed May 07, 2014 3:04 pm

I dont think this has ever happened to me

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed May 07, 2014 3:05 pm

Think we had this thread fairly recently (maybe?) but still...
After buying a Gamecube, PS2 and Xbox and then not using them much, I stopped playing games between about 2003 (year I was married, make of that what you will) and 2007 when I got back into retro and joined the forum, then the money spending began.... :D

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed May 07, 2014 3:09 pm

1973 - 1996
(Unless I can include a Binatone TV Master)
Last edited by Bub&Bob on Wed May 07, 2014 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed May 07, 2014 3:11 pm

I had a Pong system in the 70s. After that, it was computers all the way for a couple of decades. I owned a Mega Drive for a few months, and a SNES for maybe a year in the early 90s, but those weren't completely mine (MD was my stepsons', SNES was co-owned with my little sis, we had maybe half a dozen games), but other than that I went from the 70s to the late 90s playing on computers, (Oric > Spectrum & C64 > Atari ST being the route) not properly owning a console of my own until I bought a Playstation following the first big price cut (£250 bundled with 3 games from Dixons iirc, with extended warranty that I made full use of - my £40 warranty granted me 3 new Playstations in as many years).

I can't comprehend a kid during the cartridge period owning a console and not a computer. Games cost a quarter of the price and were easy to copy on computers. Why would you pass up that unlimited game supply in the playground for a marginally prettier twice a year game?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed May 07, 2014 3:19 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:Birth to six years old.
Presumably also the 13.8 billion years before that when you were a collection of random atoms following the big bang?

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed May 07, 2014 3:22 pm

I was growing-up on Game & Watch clone, ZX Spectrum, Atari 2600, Famiclone, Game Boy, MD, SNES, missed-out on the 32-bit CD consoles like the Sega Saturn and Sony PlayStation, lost interest in video games circa 1996-1997 then got a N64, then PC, missed-out on Sega Dreamcast and Sony PS2, then got a GameCube, then Xbox 360. Now I'm PC-only player and intend to be so for the time being. Not that I have anything against the new consoles, I just decided to stick to this system.
Last edited by outdated_gamer on Wed May 07, 2014 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Wed May 07, 2014 3:29 pm

I can't comprehend a kid during the cartridge period owning a console and not a computer. Games cost a quarter of the price and were easy to copy on computers. Why would you pass up that unlimited game supply in the playground for a marginally prettier twice a year game?[/quote]

Yeah, although for a period I went the other way, as I suppose many gaming teens did during the launch of the 16-bit consoles in the early 90's. In 1992 I went from owning a C64 with 100+ games to a Sega Mega Drive with only about 7 games for about 18 months. Although there was a few video rental stores near my house that did MD rentals, so I probably played most of the top games that came out, even if I didn't own them.

Then in the later part of 1994 my older brothers friend was selling his Amiga 500+ with about 40 odd games, so I sold the MD for a computer. In 1996 I purchased my first PC a 100MHz 486. I played games on that for a few years without owning a games console, until I bought a PS1 in 1997.

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed May 07, 2014 4:00 pm

I briefly had a VCS around 1980/81, but because of the massively overpriced games I immediately went to computers (getting games for nothing/£1.99/£7 was much better) until 1999 when I got a PS1. I've had Playstations ever since.

In this room at the moment there are 10 computers (plus one broken one) and 4 consoles (I got a VCS again recently, with a composite video mod on it's way as I type). There are another 2 computers in the house (plus some half working PCs in the loft I think). So I'm massively biased towards computers for a lot of reasons.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Wed May 07, 2014 4:17 pm

YES definitely - I fell out of love with gaming when I was in my late teens starting university. Think I'd been turned off by the failure of the Mega CD and didn't like the move to CDs* and must have found other things to do. I did a bit of PC gaming but basically had no console in my 6th forum until maybe middle of first year uni. So maybe a two and a half year stretch? I left uni and got in to retro gaming and got back in firstly with an Xbox, then GameCube (and GBA SP on the same day!).

*Fast forward to now and I'm desparately holding on to the damn things!
Xbox Live: RetroBob

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Wed May 07, 2014 4:26 pm

I never owned a console until Modern Warfare 2 was released in 2009 i think.
Some of my workmates talked me into getting an Xbox 360 and it was fun. We occasionally boot up for a quick game of Black Ops but otherwise I never use the thing.

I have been home computers all the way - Commodore Plus/4, Speccy, Amiga 500 (which it is rumoured was created by God himself) and PC ever since.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Wed May 07, 2014 5:56 pm

I played on my Spectrum until 1987 or thereabouts, then when I started work, I gave up gaming save for a bit of time on my parents PC. It wasn't until mid 1997 that I bought a Playstation & got back into gaming.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Wed May 07, 2014 7:35 pm

When the 3DO, CDi and all that s**t was out, I basically stopped buying new games and just played SNES and went Skateboarding. I was proper down on games for a few years, all that junk FMV rubbish. Thank god for Sega Saturn, PS1 and N64.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed May 07, 2014 8:23 pm

Well, ZX81 - C64 - Amiga - PC

But also I had a Sega Master system at launch that was sold very quickly when I realised how horrible it was. Then I used that cash to buy a NES and sold that very quickly due to it being horrible. After that I lost all interest in consoles until I got a free Xbox 360 - still got it. Then I got a Wii. Now have a Wii-U. But 95% of gaming is done on the PC :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/