Best "New Super Mario Bros" game.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Flint

Re: Best "New Super Mario Bros" game.

Post by Flint » Wed May 07, 2014 11:19 am

NSMB - It was pretty good at the time but after going back to it I think a lot of that is due to how long it had been since a 2D Mario,.

NSMBW - It really shined with two veteran Mario palyers and it's a shame most didn't get to experience it that way, it was more of a challenge than the first one too.

NSMB2 - Such a missed oppurtunity, if the main game wasn't so easy and they'd just put a bit more effort into the coin rush mode (leaderboards, daily challenges, pre-set levels so ghost houses don't ruin it etc ) it would probably have been at least my third favourite Mario game, as it was only a few of the DLC packs showed what could have been. Shame as I doubt they'll ever return to the concept.

I get the feeling NSMBU will be my favourite but I haven't got a WiiU yet so the Wii incarnation gets my vote.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed May 07, 2014 4:10 pm

Analog wrote:I thought nsmb for the ds wasn't all that great personally.
Same here. It definitely wasn't a bad game but the 2.5d visual style seemed a bit soulless and everything was a just a bit too 'standard' to excite me. I think I played a fair few worlds before just selling it.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Wed May 07, 2014 5:23 pm

Currently working my way through the 'New' series right now as it happens. Completed the DS one a couple of weeks ago, and now at about world 7 or so on NSMB Wii. I really love the Wii version, looks HD through my component on my lcd. Can't wait to boot up NSMB WiiU in full 1080p glory, as soon as I clock the original

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Wed May 07, 2014 7:32 pm

Yeah the Wii U one is defo the best, the world map really reminds me of Mario World too, which is lovely.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu May 08, 2014 4:14 am

Wii U version for me. The new powerup was great, the inclusion of a challenge mode was a great idea, the graphics had some really, really nice touches and the level design was top notch. Add on Super Luigi U and you have one of my favourite recent platformers. The Wii version is fantastic as well, not quite as great as the Wii U version but its really close.

The DS version has aged a bit in my opinion. Its solid but not one of my favourite Mario platformers. NSMB2 while there was nothing wrong with it, it just felt like a completely phoned in sequel with next to nothing to offer. The best part of the game were the free levels that were based on other Mario games which pretty much says it all.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu May 08, 2014 8:00 am

Megamixer wrote:
Analog wrote:I thought nsmb for the ds wasn't all that great personally.
Same here. It definitely wasn't a bad game but the 2.5d visual style seemed a bit soulless and everything was a just a bit too 'standard' to excite me. I think I played a fair few worlds before just selling it.
Agreed with that (and 2.5D games in general). A friend made me play New Super Mario Bros. Wii with him, after ten minutes I was nearly bored to tears.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Roo

Post by Roo » Thu May 08, 2014 8:28 am

I like them all - old tricks, but they're all simple and varied enough. I think the HD adds a lot in the Wii U version; it's got the same great animation of the previous versions, but somehow seems much more colourful.

The Sane Psycho

Post by The Sane Psycho » Sun May 18, 2014 5:02 am

I've only played a little bit of NSMBU and none of NSMB2. So, when it comes to NSMBDS vs. NSMBWii, I think the DS game has better boss battles, but the Wii version has better level design. Multiplayer can be fun, but it also pisses me off a lot.