Best "New Super Mario Bros" game.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Sephiroth81

Best "New Super Mario Bros" game.

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue May 06, 2014 11:17 am

Whats everyones opinions on this series of 2D Mario platformers, and which is your favourite?

I kind of love them. I have 3 out of the 4, just missing New Super Mario Bros U, its tempting to get a Wii U for that game alone.

My favourite is New Super Mario Bros Wii, so far. I like the DS versions, but I miss the spin jump so end up shaking my DS/3DS when i want to extend my jump!

killbot

Re: Best "New Super Mario Bros" game.

Post by killbot » Tue May 06, 2014 11:40 am

NSMB U probably had the best level design and controls, so I'll go for that.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue May 06, 2014 11:48 am

killbot wrote:NSMB U probably had the best level design and controls, so I'll go for that.
Damn you making me consider even strongly into buying a Wii U....... :D

To be fair, its currently the only 3 "next gen" consoles i'm interested in based on price and current catalogue. Even if its a weak console and probably not going to last very long this generation.

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue May 06, 2014 11:58 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
killbot wrote:NSMB U probably had the best level design and controls, so I'll go for that.
Damn you making me consider even strongly into buying a Wii U....... :D

To be fair, its currently the only 3 "next gen" consoles i'm interested in based on price and current catalogue. Even if its a weak console and probably not going to last very long this generation.
Sorry ;)

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue May 06, 2014 1:00 pm

Only played the DS version but I enjoyed it. It was a nice throwback to the classic side-scrolling Marios. Yes, the games look and play very similar, but I think they're well-designed and enjoyable games regardless. The Wii U version is probably the best of the bunch.

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Tue May 06, 2014 4:10 pm

I like the Wii U version best, its so shiney in HD! I find it hard to go back to the Wii version now.
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue May 06, 2014 4:15 pm

Only played the Wii and DS games, loved them both but I'd say the Wii version was the better.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue May 06, 2014 4:38 pm

I love the WiiU version.

What really impresses me about the Wiiu is the way the colors really pop in HD. they justb seem so bright and sharp

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue May 06, 2014 6:17 pm

Thanks for all the replies to this thread, and subsequently the loss of £250 to purchase a Wii U and Mario Bros U.....THANKS! :shock: :evil: :D

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue May 06, 2014 6:32 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:Thanks for all the replies to this thread, and subsequently the loss of £250 to purchase a Wii U and Mario Bros U.....THANKS! :shock: :evil: :D

Dont forget that you also get the luigi add on, on the same disc in that pack.

you are getting one just in time for Mariokart 8, esppecially as if you buy mariokart and register it on Club nintendo you get a free download code for a game of your choice ( ten available INC Windwaker HD, Sonic lost worlds, Wonderfull 101, and pikmona 3 amongst them )

With New Super mario Wii u, Marioland 3D, and now this Mariokart deal plus Donkey kong Tropical freeze looking great, it seems like my Wii U is going to be getting a lot of play time.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Tue May 06, 2014 9:42 pm

New Super Mario Bros U is very easily the pick of the bunch for me as well. It's not just the HD visuals, the level design is also fantastic and it's right up there as a classic with Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World IMHO. Makes me sad when a lot of people just disregard it as 'yet another New Super Mario Bros game' without actually giving it a chance.
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed May 07, 2014 4:00 am

ToxieDogg wrote:New Super Mario Bros U is very easily the pick of the bunch for me as well. It's not just the HD visuals, the level design is also fantastic and it's right up there as a classic with Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World IMHO. Makes me sad when a lot of people just disregard it as 'yet another New Super Mario Bros game' without actually giving it a chance.
Thats not a bad thing - "New Super Mario Bros" games are great.

So, £239 for the 32GB Premium Wii U pack with New Mario Bros U/Luigi a good deal?

P.S Or is there going to be a price drop soon??

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed May 07, 2014 5:26 am

I'd go for the 3DS game as it's the one that I've had the most fun out of. That said, there's not exactly a bad game in the series; it's just that they're generally quite safe and conservatively designed compared to the 3D Mario games, and also things like Rayman Origins/Legends and DKCR.

Should fans of classic Mario give them a look? Of course. However, I don't really think you need all four of them.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Wed May 07, 2014 7:34 am

I've played all but NSMB2 and I'd go with the Wii U version as well, it's best level design. If you buy a console, get the bundle with NSMB U and Luigi U as well.
So, £239 for the 32GB Premium Wii U pack with New Mario Bros U/Luigi a good deal?
I'd be happy with that price for sure.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Analog

Post by Analog » Wed May 07, 2014 10:27 am

I thought nsmb for the ds wasn't all that great personally.