Gears of War

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Shinobi

Re: Gears of War

Post by Shinobi » Mon May 05, 2014 5:02 am

I played Gears 1 co-op with friend and got to the bit where you had to stay in the light(stepping into the dark lead to instant death these things ate you) can't remember much else about it only that boss fight where you had to get her to ram the doors and kill her with the a Hammer of Dawn.. Did seem harder in single player..

I played Gears 3 co-op with Spooky, James and somebody else from here and really enjoyed it, as playing with people who where good on it made it more enjoyable
Last edited by Shinobi on Wed May 07, 2014 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon May 05, 2014 6:14 am

I played co-op on all 4 Gears of War games, and found them pretty enjoyable. Not particularly hard on co-op mode, but thats not the point, it was entertaining.

I don't really play through videogames much these days (to the end), so it was good to complete all 4 of these. Are their better games? Sure. But these are decent enough and warrant their place. Plus they're SO cheap now!

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Tue May 06, 2014 9:20 pm

Like Killbot, I'm a big fan of Nintendo myself (when their customer service isn't trying to screw me over), but I also a huge fan of the Gears games.

They really do come alive in online co-op, if that's an option to you then that's how you should really experience them. But even playing single player I enjoyed the storyline, liked a couple of the characters (but I find silly 1980's action flicks entertaining, maybe that makes a difference?) thought the atmosphere was spot on and also really liked the visual style and never had any major problems distinguishing between friend and foe (and I'm short sighted/near blind in one eye). The controls are also absolutely fine, but then again, I've never, ever had a problem playing any of the Resident Evil games either yet I see people complain about the controls of the earlier games all the time :? Also, nobody should be having any real difficulty playing through Gears, especially on Easy or even Normal....sure, you may day a couple of times but the only real challenge should be General Raam at the end. The gameplay itself isn't varied but the environments you travel through are, and that partly kept things really interesting for me.

Shame if Killbot never plays GoW2, it fixes a fair few niggles with the first game and is even better. but if they aint his thing, they aint his thing. :)

Now Halo 3 and the other Halo games, they really are a pile of (SNIP! Comment censored in order to prevent unnecessary flame war).
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed May 07, 2014 12:28 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:Like Killbot, I'm a big fan of Nintendo myself (when their customer service isn't trying to screw me over), but I also a huge fan of the Gears games.

They really do come alive in online co-op, if that's an option to you then that's how you should really experience them. But even playing single player I enjoyed the storyline, liked a couple of the characters (but I find silly 1980's action flicks entertaining, maybe that makes a difference?) thought the atmosphere was spot on and also really liked the visual style and never had any major problems distinguishing between friend and foe (and I'm short sighted/near blind in one eye). The controls are also absolutely fine, but then again, I've never, ever had a problem playing any of the Resident Evil games either yet I see people complain about the controls of the earlier games all the time :? Also, nobody should be having any real difficulty playing through Gears, especially on Easy or even Normal....sure, you may day a couple of times but the only real challenge should be General Raam at the end. The gameplay itself isn't varied but the environments you travel through are, and that partly kept things really interesting for me.

Shame if Killbot never plays GoW2, it fixes a fair few niggles with the first game and is even better. but if they aint his thing, they aint his thing. :)

Now Halo 3 and the other Halo games, they really are a pile of (SNIP! Comment censored in order to prevent unnecessary flame war).
I've not touched the game for a few days while I finished Wonderful 101. It was interesting to compare the two. W101 was also insanely tough in places and had controls that often bordered on broken... but I could forgive it because it was fun. The characters were charming and funny, the storyline didn't take itself too seriously and it was insanely varied (It's Pikmin! No, it's Bayonetta! No, it's Punch-Out!!! No, it's Viewpoint! No, it's Panzer Dragoon!). And there was a bit at the end where the main character uses a giant hand to pick up a spaceship and shoot it like a handgun. It's that kind of awareness of it's own ridiculousness that I find missing in Gears, which is perhaps why I'm less forgiving of it.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

tux

Post by tux » Wed May 07, 2014 2:04 pm

From my own view, Gears of war was one of my favourite games from the whole of the last gen-360 and Ps3 combined! It always amazes me how taste varies between gamers so much :lol:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed May 07, 2014 2:18 pm

Horses for courses. I can't say I like the look of W101 much at all, but I love the aesthetic of Gears and its short linear gameplay. It sets out to do one thing and does it very well. Going back to it, I still think its one of the most visually pleasing games of its gen, I really like the chunky ott meatheads done in a 'real' style, everything looks so solid and heavy, dark and dirty.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed May 07, 2014 3:46 pm

ToxieDogg wrote: Now Halo 3 and the other Halo games, they really are a pile of (SNIP! Comment censored in order to prevent unnecessary flame war).
I thought Halo 3 was pretty boring, but I'm speaking for the SP solely (I did not touch the MP). But it certainly looked the part. Not on the level of Crysis but was one of the better-looking console shooters. Halo 4 looked pretty impressive for the console too.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Wed May 07, 2014 4:24 pm

Halo 4 Campaign was kind of meh, would rather have the Flood than Prometheans. MP was incredible amount of fun, just mute everyone. :)

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Wed May 07, 2014 4:51 pm

I loved gears, one of the best series of the generation. Playing through in split sreen co-op made the games much more fun. As others have said the game comes alive online, playing as a team watching each others backs is great especially hoarde mode, playing as a group of 4 against the computer really changed online gaming for me. The story is fluff but I always think of it as an 80's action Schwarzenegger film. The sense of weight and feel of the games is just right and I quite like the aesathetics. The original game has aged a little but the sequels added more colour, female characters and multiplayer co-op. You can always try Vanquish for a more single player focused game.

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Wed May 07, 2014 5:07 pm

The gears of war games (bar judgement) are my fave games ever on the 360.I like the first and second but the third was my fave.Hord,beast mode tdm and the campaign 4 player co-op an epic game that hardly came out of the xbox draw for 12 months.Would love to have another crack at doing all 50 waves of horde in one go if we canget a team toghether one night.Althogh i did have a couple of games of tdm recently after a long hiatus.Infact i have had no interest in buyiing an xboxone but if a gears game came out tomorrow and was made by the developers who done the first 3 games i would buy a xboxone just for that game.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed May 07, 2014 5:19 pm

This is better than Gears:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tifv7qh_hmY

I had to, sorry. :P

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Wed May 07, 2014 5:27 pm

I don't agree with Halo being naff

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Fri May 09, 2014 10:27 am

Gears 2 game of the year ed now £1 delivered at game website.gears 3 £2.50 delivered. Bargain if you aint got em grab em.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

merman

Post by merman » Fri May 09, 2014 12:52 pm

aztecca wrote:Gears 2 game of the year ed now £1 delivered at game website.gears 3 £2.50 delivered. Bargain if you aint got em grab em.

Play.com have the Classic version of Gears 2 at a higher price than the original release, which is mad.

Have to say, I downloaded the original Gears as part of Games With Gold and I had mixed feelings about it. Didn't get on with the controls or the gritty graphic style - spent a lot of time unable to spot what was attacking me. But there is some interesting ideas and a good plot in there. Guess you had to be there at launch to really appreciate the impact it had.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube