Your big misses that you regret.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

GigaPepsiMan

Your big misses that you regret.

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Fri May 02, 2014 1:34 pm

7 years ago I go on a trip to Liverpool. I walk into CEX, Conkers Bad Fur Day, boxed, £35. I left it. I got pokemon snap boxed for £5 instead.
3 years ago, carboot, Nes with like 10 games, £8. I left it because I had recently given up retro collecting.
Last summer PSP slim with gta vice city stories umd only. No power supply. £5. I left it because I got burned a few weeks earlier on a dodgy DS Lite.
2 or so years ago. I had £5 to my name. NGamer magazines, 40 of them, 10p each. I left them and just bought the super smash bros melee official guide instead for 10p and kept the rest of the money.

What are your big misses or deal turn downs when collecting?

Roo

Re: Your big misses that you regret.

Post by Roo » Fri May 02, 2014 1:50 pm

I'm sure I've told this a few times, but leaving a minty-mint copy of Paper Mario in St Enoch Centre's Electronics Boutique (on the understanding that 'I'd get it next time') and buying a used copy of Gex: Deep Cover Gecko on the PSone instead was a poor decision. What made it poorer was remembering that I already had Gex by the time I'd reached home.

big mean bunny

Post by big mean bunny » Fri May 02, 2014 2:39 pm

I saw Panzer Dragoon Saga in a place in Leicester when they were selling all the Saturn stuff off as "it was dead". Was about £40 quid still but is a game I have always wanted to play having played the demo that was around, although wasn't really a retro buy as it was during the consoles life.

Not something I neglected to buy, but we had R.O.B or whatever it was called as kids and sold it at a car boot years after selling the console on, we kept him as we thought he was cool, god I regret that and miss him! :(
Episode 14 now out 14th of Sept - Sega Mega drive £25 games challenge

Invert Y gaming podcast - the only way to play, news, chat and challenges, by gamers, for gamers.

http://invertypodcast.podomatic.com or Invert Y on iTunes

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Fri May 02, 2014 6:01 pm

I've got vague memories of seeing NGPC displays/games in GAME & not paying them any attention as I'd only recently got back into gaming. Now that I think about it though, did GAME sell NGPC or is it my active imagination?

Analog

Post by Analog » Fri May 02, 2014 9:47 pm

saw a gameboy player on amazon marketplace cib for £20ish, should have snapped that up, needless to say it wasn't around for long! they often go for £40-60

Kilb

Post by Kilb » Sat May 03, 2014 2:24 am

About 5 years ago in my local Gamestation (Sittingbourne), when they used to stock retro games, they had for £30 Steel Battalion complete...
£30...
Didn't have enough money with me and next time I visited, it had gone. :(

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Sat May 03, 2014 2:50 am

When I was younger and on holiday I bought a Gameboy Advance with Pokemon Silver, Super Mario Advance, Super Mario Bros DX...and then I was mulling over what other game to get. I contemplated Tombi for £20 on the PS1. I chose The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror on the Gameboy instead. One of the worst games I've ever played, ugh.

davyK

Post by davyK » Sat May 03, 2014 4:18 am

Returned an immaculate and complete copy of SNES Secret of Mana after trying it for a few hours and getting annoyed with the combat. I had picked it up for something like £7 preowned.

Put a CIB copy of The Firemen for SNES back on the shelf at a game rental shop clearance that was going for a tenner. Hadn't heard of it and didn't want to take a chance.

Sold my boxed 2600 and boxed 20-odd games in the late-80s. Got an OK amount but not nearly enough now looking back.

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Sat May 03, 2014 4:58 am

Kilb wrote:About 5 years ago in my local Gamestation (Sittingbourne), when they used to stock retro games, they had for £30 Steel Battalion complete...
£30...
Didn't have enough money with me and next time I visited, it had gone. :(
That happened to me once with a Wavebird gamestation had priced at £5. I didn't bring any money with me and then it was gone.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat May 03, 2014 5:57 am

My work mate's girlfriend, soon to be wife, a Sam Fox wannabe with massive knockers, low cut tops, rah rah skirts, cowboy boots and big hair.

Saw them out, they had a fight, she spent the night at mine flirting like mad and I 'did the right thing' by just chatting through the night knowing she was at least safe.

The only regret I've ever really had in my life, more so since shortly after he changed jobs and I never saw him again, and she ditched him shortly after the wedding. Utter filoth she was and hot with it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sat May 03, 2014 7:13 am

Morkin wrote:I've got vague memories of seeing NGPC displays/games in GAME & not paying them any attention as I'd only recently got back into gaming. Now that I think about it though, did GAME sell NGPC or is it my active imagination?
I believe so, I think that's where I bought my first unit and some games just as the stock was starting to be cleared out (following the pull of the system in Europe). HMV certainly stocked games too as I bought some there as well. Pretty sure Pocket Reversi was sold, and I didn't pick up a copy because... you know... Othello! One to go back in time for. Got it later for a much higher price...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat May 03, 2014 8:30 am

Game station sold NGPC in blister packs with a game.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Post by 3703 » Sat May 03, 2014 10:34 am

Not a miss per se, but I lent my copy of Paper Mario: TTYD to a friend, lost contact with him, never got it back. Its value skyrocketed by the time I went looking for another copy.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Sat May 03, 2014 1:06 pm

No big misses per se, but I have intentionally left stuff because its not my main interest. I.e let someone else find and enjoy that moment.
Last edited by RetroBob on Sat May 03, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

JoeNTMY

Post by JoeNTMY » Sat May 03, 2014 6:01 pm

Not picking up the Mega Drive/Super NES bookazine in WH Smith!