Top N64 games vote

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

imaxeroker85

Re: Top N64 games vote

Post by imaxeroker85 » Wed May 14, 2014 5:16 am

1. Virtual Pro Wrestling 2
2. WWF No Mercy
3. Mario Kart 64
4. San Francisco Rush
5.WCW/NWO revenge

spuggybridge

Post by spuggybridge » Fri May 16, 2014 9:43 pm

Sorry if I'm a bit late

1. Quake (just loved the gothic atmosphere)
2. Doom 64 (best version of Doom that i have ever played)
3. Turok 2 (best of the Turok games for me)
4. Perfect Dark (Rare pushed it to the limit)
5. Banjo Tooie (improved on the first version)

shakeyournoggin

Post by shakeyournoggin » Sat May 17, 2014 4:03 pm

Picking only 5 games is going to be to tough but I'll give it a go.

1. Lylatwars/Starfox 64- A brilliant on-rails shooter that improves upon the SNES original in every way. There's a ton of replay value thanks to the varying pathways to take throughout the game, the alternate endings and simply playing to achieve the highest score. Not to mention the task of winning medals on each level to unlock the hard mode. There's also a great cast of memorable characters and multiplayer fun to be had as a bonus.

2. Super Mario 64- The game that set the standard for 3D platform games for generations to come. The level design is fantastic in that it's simply fun just to explore each level down it's last detail, and there's so many memorable moments to be discovered e.g. defeating Bowser in 3D for the first time. Mario himself was equipped with a wide variety of new skills to traverse his terrain and battle his enemies, along with some new power ups such as the Metal and Pixel caps. I feel I should also mention that Super Mario 64 has one of the best soundtracks of all time, my own personal favourite being the Dire Dire Docks theme.

3. WWF No Mercy- I think I played this none stop for about a year when it was first released thanks to the wealth of content that's available. There's a number of story modes based on the various titles that were around at the time, a survival mode where you have to eliminate as many wrestlers as you can and the exhibition mode where you can customise matches as you want. The create-a-wrestler feature was quite in-depth; setting a template for future titles in the series, and this alongside the wide selection of wrestlers from WWF/WWE's attitude era you really were spoiled for choice.

4. Goldeneye 007- Another title I couldn't stop playing once I got my hands on it. The single player mode follows the movie in great detail, with graphics that were quite brilliant for the time, and a soundtrack that kept you immersed in the James Bond universe from start to finish. The wealth of replay value is enormous thanks to the 'cheats' that you can unlock by finishing a level in a certain time, along with the another two hidden levels based on previous Bond movies. And if all this wasn't enough you had what was arguably the greatest multiplayer experience on the Nintendo 64.

5. Conker's Bad Fur Day- It was rude, crude, even violent, but still the funniest game on the system. After getting drunk at his local one night Conker the Squirrel wakes up in a field next to a scarecrow, and your job is to guide him back home while making some cash along the way. The game takes on a variety of genres and does them all surprisingly well, even making fun of other games and movies such as Resident Evil, Saving Private Ryan and the Matrix. The hilarious cast of characters will make you want to keep playing through the story until the very end, with Rareware thoughtfully including a menu so you can jump to a certain chapter whenever you want to revisit your favourite moments. The multiplayer is also superb with a seven different modes to choose from (I like Raptor the most), and support for four players plus AI controlled enemies.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sat May 17, 2014 6:23 pm

Hard to pick even 5 to be fair as its a console I hardly ever found any game that made me want to go back to them. The few that did lie herein.

1. Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time. Even then I only really played it on the Gamecube - good as it was when I eventually came to try it on the actual console I preferred the control on the GC Controller.

2. Goldeneye - seems to get a lot of love and I can see why. Played quite a bit and did enjoy it. Not reason alone enough to own a console though.

3. Super Mario 64 - hard not to like it and still plenty of charm.

4. Mario Party - not seeing many votes and only in here because had quite a few drunken games with friends.

5. Mario Party 2 - for the same reason.

Actually thats about it. Never really found that killer app and time hasnt been kind to the remaining ones. Paper Mario is probably my favourite game on the system but I never actually played it on a real console only as a wii download.

Guitar_Geek

Post by Guitar_Geek » Thu May 22, 2014 7:00 am

1. Goldeneye - It hasn't aged well, but it's still the definitive console FPS experience
2. Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time - Do I really need to explain why this game is good?
3. Mario Kart 64 - Countless hours have been spent with this game, some friends and a big pile of junk food
4. Banjo Kazooie - Easily the best 3D platforming collect-a-thon available at the time
5. Paper Mario - Don't let it's flat look fool you, it's easily the deepest RPG available on the N64

mlucifersam

Post by mlucifersam » Thu May 22, 2014 5:13 pm

Here's mine:
Mark R. Jones

Ocean Software Ltd FB page: http://www.facebook.com/OceanSoftwareLtd
Ultimate Play The Game FB page: https://www.facebook.com/ultimateptg

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Thu May 22, 2014 10:51 pm

Goldeneye - obvious choice but theres a good reason for that. It rules!

Banjo Kazooie - love this collectathon with its subtle humour and good level design.

Zelda: Majoras Mask - better (but odder) of the two zelda games on the N64, lovely music though and great game!

Donkey Kong 64 - odd choice but i liked RAREs platformers of the time and Diddy Kong is ace!

Banjo Tooie - upgrade to the original but a little bit TOOOOOO much in areas is what prevents it scoring higher!

PSN username - MartinPhantom