Top N64 games vote

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

NickThorpe

Top N64 games vote

Post by NickThorpe » Thu May 01, 2014 10:46 am

Hello, hello and thrice hello!

It looks as though we shall be doing a top 25 N64 games shortly - though it's not an anniversary year like with the Playstation and Saturn, it's very much part of that era so we're going to run with it.

If you've not done this before, we're after your top five games for the system, with your favourite at the top. If you write a little something about them, you might even get quoted in the magazine! Here's an example:

1/ F-Zero X - not much to look at but so smooth, easily the best racer on the system
2/ The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - more interesting than Ocarina due to the three day disaster gimmick
3/ Super Mario 64 - I'd have a hard time not including the game that revolutionised 3D platformers
4/ WWF No Mercy - best wrestling game ever? Possible, it's certainly one of the most fun
5/ Mario Kart 64 - not my favourite in the series, but Mario Kart is usually better than most games on its system and it's no different here

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: Top N64 games vote

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu May 01, 2014 11:18 am

Hello yourself!

Okay, I'll try:

01-F-Zero X - Easily and definitely the best game on the thing, even in single player! Someone who I know longer speak to once cleared the Death Race mode (or whatever it's called) in 13 seconds. It's almost worth tracking him down just to get proof of this.

02-Cruis'n USA - Loved it in the arcades, loved it on the N64 and love it on the Wii. It's too silly to not enjoy.

Here's where it gets tricky... I don't like 3D platformers or RPG games or GoldenEye or kart games, so not sure about the rest. Give it a go though.

03-Buck Bumble - You play as a robot bumblebee, so at least there's that.

04-1080* - Never played it, but I like every other snowboarding game I've played so I'll have to assume it's great.

05-Williams Arcade Classics - Because it's got SiniStar and Robotron and Joust.

I'm sorry :oops:

It's obvious what'll be in the top 3 anyway.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

BEARD!

Post by BEARD! » Thu May 01, 2014 12:10 pm

(1) Conker's Bad Fur Day
(2) Zelda: Ocarina Of Time
(3) Goldeneye
(4) Perfect Dark
(5) Wipeout 64

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Thu May 01, 2014 12:12 pm

1) 1080º Snowboarding. The best snowboarding game ever made. I love the way it concentrates on racing rather than tricks, the sunsets and reflections look great, even the menu system was fun. You also get to play as a giant panda.

2) Banjo Kazooie. Better than boring old mario.

3) Zelda OoT. It goes without saying really, the best game of it's generation.

4) F Zero X. You got to race on a giant hand with cheesy guitar music.

5) Lylat Wars. The only good starfox game.

heartbreakkid

Post by heartbreakkid » Thu May 01, 2014 12:35 pm

First post here ok

1) Mario 64 - Quite simply loads of fun to play

2) Zelda OOT - Epic adventure that at the time nothing came close to it

3) Mario Kart 64 - Great multiplayer

4)Wave Race 64 - The water effects still look good and so unique

5)WWF No Mercy - If you liked wrestling at the time this was perfect (bit of a niche I realise :D )

A tough list to narrow down as for me there were so many classics on this system

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu May 01, 2014 1:48 pm

1- ISS 2000
You could argue there's not really enough to separate it from its previous iterations but it does have the insanely brilliant Career mode - yes, you too can have team-mates lose faith in you when they find a nudie magazine in your bedroom!

2- Tetrisphere
Dares to mess with the classic formula but actually makes it work!

3- Beetle Adventure Racing
Never has such a hateful car (well, the original one anyway, I'm reasonably sure the new-ish one was not in any way endorsed by fascists! :mrgreen: ) starred in such a good game. Looks good, plenty to discover and not without a sense of humour.

4- Mario Kart 64
It says something that my least favourite MK is still more than good enough to get into my choices.

5- Ridge Racer 64
Indeed another racer but it's my #1 genre and there are plenty of good 'uns on the system. Fixed many of the old problems the earlier Ridges had (i.e. a lack of lifespan).

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu May 01, 2014 2:24 pm

1. Donkey Kong 64. An amazing "collect-a-thon" with tons of collectibles (a good thing in my book :wink: ) and mini-games, large levels and shiny colored lighting (all the more impressive on the limited N64 hardware), adventure elements, nice boss battles, high difficulty in the mini-games, ect. For me the best 3D Donkey Kong game.

2. Jet Force Gemini. An epic 3rd person shooter/platformer hybrid. Very nice levels, cool weapons, nice boss battles, funny story, re-play value. The downsides were the framerate drops and quirky control and camera, but over-all a very nice game that I would like to see a remake or continuation of.

3. Majora's Mask. Not really a "hardcore" Zelda fan, but this game has grown to my heart with it's interesting plot, it's diverse world, it's time-based gameplay, it's usage of masks (which actually give you new abilities) and so on. The "darkest" Zelda game and one of the more interesting too.

4. Wave Race 64. A really nice "jet-ski" racer that was better than any Arcade jet-ski racer at the time. Diverse courses, enjoyable physics (more on the arcade side), impressive wave simulation effects for the time and lots of re-play value were the characteristics of this game.

5. Although I consider Mario 64 a classic, I have to give the last place to 1080 Snowboarding. The reason for that is that I really enjoyed this snowboarding/racing game. And this is comming from someone who usually doesn't care about "sports" games.

Of course there's a plethora of other nice games that didn't make it into the list, however I must say that the FPS games on this system aged really badly, imo. Nothing bad about Turok, GoldenEye and Perfect Dark, but they just don't hold up at all these days, imo.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu May 01, 2014 3:01 pm

When I owned a N64 I only ever bought 4 games for it:

Turok - still the only FPS I actually like and full of foggy atmosphere
ISS 64 - the most fun ive had from a footy game with mates post pub
Star Wars Shadow Of The Empire - not great (except the first level) but I still like it
Mario Kart 64 - not the best MK but not the worst either
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Thu May 01, 2014 3:28 pm

1. Goldeneye - I bought the N64 to play this game. It did not, in any way, disappoint!
2. LoZ Ocarina of Time - Epic is an over used word. When it comes to this game epic is an understatement.
3. ISS64 - My favourite footy game of the generation. Realistic, without trying to be a simulation, and the most fun I ever had with a footy game.
4. Conker's Bad Fur Day - A superb platform adventure that has a Swearing, drinking squirrel as the lead. What's not to like?
5. Top Gear Rally - A racer that really engaged me thanks to it's depth of gameplay, handling, short cuts, varied surfaces to name a few elements, and superb graphics. Customising the paint job on the vehicles was cool but a nice white paint job wouldn't last long out on the courses.

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu May 01, 2014 3:36 pm

1. Pokemon Stadium 2- Too everything good about the first game and added much much more.
2. Zelda OOT- You can't have a top N64 without this one. Great back then, just as great-ish now.
3. Conker/Banjo Kazooie/Mario 64- I could not decide, lol.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Thu May 01, 2014 3:47 pm

5 Pilotwings 64
Overshadowed massively by Mario 64 on launch, this game is - to this very day - still plugged into my N64. With its music that wouldn't sound out of place in a 1970s adult movie, varied (and sometimes comical) tasks - not to mention the sheer amount of things that can be discovered just by completely ignoring the task at hand and going for a wander round the islands. Not to mention that at the end of it all, there's something just so inherently relaxing about flying around with Birdman...

4 Conker's Bad Fur Day
Drinking, dinosaurs, squirrels - and by far the best recreation of the beach landing from Saving Private Ryan to ever grace a videogame. The game is too full of iconic moments to pick just one or two, but the beach landing, sloprano and Haystack sections are all brilliantly executed.

3 Legend Of Zelda Majora's Mask
Yes, I know most people will prefer Ocarina, but MM proved that the series could take a turn to the dark side, and do it so well. Heck, the way they've set things up is that the player will never get a "perfect" 3-day run where everyone has been helped out and is happy. You save one person from being mugged and you doom an entire family...

2 Beetle Adventure Racing
As stated above, this was a brilliant game. Granted, all the cars were a variation of the new VW beetle, but the tracks were widely varied and had so many alternate routes that you could go all 3 laps and never go the same way twice except for where the alternate routes converged. The Metro Mayhem track had some of the most widely varying alternate routes of all.

1 Goldeneye
What can I say about this that hasn't been said before. Not too much. I do admit that I played this to death, eventually reaching the point where multiplayer was no longer an option because I was simply too good for anyone locally. While Perfect Dark is technically superior, this is by far the most iconic Console FPS of all time.
Where logic won't work, I will

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Thu May 01, 2014 5:45 pm

5 - Mario Tennis - Wavered between this and Mario Kart or the number 5 slot but this won out, in part because it introduces Waluigi. Initially I hated the character thinking he was just a bad idea, then I came to appreciate his ridiculousness. One of the most underrated Nintendo characters in my opinion. Seriously.

4 - Ocarina of Time - I wanted to avoid two games from the same series (see below...) but I wouldn't be listing my 5 favorite N64 games if I didn't include this. It's more flawed than people care to admit to, but it's still a great game - and probably one of the first to create a real sense of place in the world it was trying to create.

3 - Pokemon Snap - I honestly have no idea why this concept hasn't been revisited. It's crying out for a sequel. The Wii U would support the game perfectly, it's the ideal game to make use of the pad. It's a game I like to revisit every now and then, and it's always great fun to play.

2 - Majora's Mask - Dares to be different. Takes a classic formula, and turns it on its head. Easily the most compelling Zelda storyline, and it's also the most atmospheric Zelda game too. The bleak sense of despair, the feeling of impending doom and dark overtones, it's sublime. I hope it gets a remake on the 3DS, I'd love to play this gem on the move.

1 - Super Mario 64 - If this game was released in its current form today it would still be just as well received as it was on release day, and that's the biggest compliment I can give it. I'm not sure you could say the same about any other N64 game. That's not to say they're bad - it's just that Mario is THAT good. The best N64 game, and in general one of the best games ever.

rednoggy

Post by rednoggy » Thu May 01, 2014 6:44 pm

1-Majoras mask- The 3 day mechanic annoyed some but I liked the challenge.
2-Ocarina of time- May have been superseded by it's remake but I still prefer the original with the N64 pad.
3-Banjo kazooie- More variation and better looking than sm64.
4-Mario kart 64- Played constabtly with my mates until double dash came out.
5- F-zero X- Random track generator? Kept me going for years.

HisNHer_LP

Post by HisNHer_LP » Thu May 01, 2014 6:46 pm

5 - Pokemon Stadium
Was big into Pokemon Red at the time, and to have MY pokemon on screen, in 3D fighting my Brothers or Friends pokemon was amazing to me, plus, I loved the fact it allowed you to play the game on the TV too, I know this was nothing new (Super Game Boy) but I though it was great.

4 - Super Smash Brothers
This game was very hit and miss for me, I loved the idea of it, it played well, but I was never a fan of playing it single player, to me, this was always best with 2 or more people (the more the better) plus, the fact my brother played it non stop, Day and night, and even to this day, it really puts me off it.

3 - Ocarina of Time
Im not going to write anything about this (as im ashamed im still yet to complete it, but have it on the 3DS now until I get it back on my 64 again)

2 - Mario 64
When I first got my hands on the N64, I remember thinking how strange and very "star trek" like the controller was, then I played this, and I was blown away, and the controller didnt matter anymore, this game blew me away

1 - WWF Wrestlemaina 200 / No Mercy
first of all, let me just say, you cant forget the WCW games THQ made for the 64 aswell, some great great great games, Wrestlemania 2000 took it to the next level though, the story mode was AMAZING! No matter if you won or lost, doing a full years wrestling in the WWF was great! the fights getting harder as you got higher up the card, sitting there for hours straight to win the royal rumble, only to be eliminated right at the end!! it was amazing! No Mercy improved on the gameplay I think, the match types, backstage and everything, but I wasnt a fan of the story, I loved the year calender thing WrestleMaina did..

Plus, I was one of the unlucky ones with the game breaking bug..... this upset me greatly.

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu May 01, 2014 6:55 pm

Majora's Mask - A gaming masterpiece, top notch in every aspect.
Ocarina of Time - Nintendo took Zelda from 2D to 3D and hit a homerun at the first time of trying.
WWF No Mercy - Still regarded by many as the best wrestling game ever, that says a lot.
007 Goldeneye - Multiplayer gold, and one of the best movie games ever.
Super Mario 64 - See Ocarina Of Time above.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823