90's Gaming Adverts (c/o Izismile)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Fishsta

90's Gaming Adverts (c/o Izismile)

Post by Fishsta » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:40 am

38 90's Gaming adverts

This is why I love Izismile. A sudden burst of gaming nostalgia.

Love it.
ImageImage

killbot

Re: 90's Gaming Adverts (c/o Izismile)

Post by killbot » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:02 am

Cool. 90s videogame ads had a really distinctive look - lots of bright colours, extreme close-ups, extensive use of fish-eye lenses and an overabundance of 'attitude'. Very evocative, I remember many of them from issues of GameFan that I used to get from a mate (he had somehow won a subscription to the US-based mag and would give me every issue after he'd read it).

One thing I can distinctly recall is the brief fad for 'smell-o-vision' ads with scratch and sniff panels. I think Earthbound was one example (or was it Secret of Evermore?). It stunk my house out for a week, anyway.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:25 pm

I still remember the adverts from the late 80s for games like Desolator, Turbo OutRun, etc. They don't do ads like that any more. They don't do cover art that really strikes you like back then either.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:27 pm

Does anytone else always find the American ads somewhat obnoxious? They all seemed to use the same font as well.

That said, props to the Virtual Boy for showing its games without a single screenshot