Franchises you've given up on(& how they could win you back)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SpockIOM

Re: Franchises you've given up on(& how they could win you b

Post by SpockIOM » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:11 am

I couldn't get into Final Fantasy 10 and upwards. Don't know why for sure, but maybe they just weren't as good as 6-9. I've also not been blown away by many of the more recent Mario games. I loved the classics on NES, SNES and N64, and I thought Super Paper Mario had it's moments too. But I thought that Super Mario Wii could've been so much better than it was. It wasn't a bad game, but as (pretty much) a remake of SMB3 it should've been so much better. Plus having the enemies dancing to the music just got irritating, particularly when they landed a cheap hit as a result!
Oh, and Phantom Hourglass just annoyed me - going through the same dungeon over and over against the clock was unzelda-ish to me. Didn't finish it and didn't bother with Spirit Tracks as a result. Might give the new one a blast though.

Edit - When I wrote this I completely forgot about Super Mario Galaxy which is a great game, but generally I still stand by what I said about the more recent Mario games.
Last edited by SpockIOM on Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:31 am

Weirdly enough - Megaman. Capcom has pretty much indirectly confirmed they no longer care about the series at all (through canceling several games, ignoring him in Marvel Vs Capcom 3 and not announcing any kind of new game in years) and so I've no hope that they'll ever release a new game in the series again - let alone a decent game seeing as all the former talent that worked on those games is long gone. I'm super hyped for Mighty Number 9 though which is a new evolved Megaman in everything except for the name (and its made by the same people that made the series great).
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:27 am

Pro Evolution Soccer & Resident Evil.
They could both win me back by making decent games.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:30 am

great shout on Pro Evo, really sad to see what were easily the best football games ever made fall so badly. Would love the series to return to form, every year I hope they rediscover the magic.

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:44 pm

I didn't mind 2006 on the 360 but the following 2 turned me off the series.
I haven't even looked at any since then. For all I know the current one might be great.
But I doubt it.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:28 pm

I think it's natural that franchises go stale, market forces over gameplay... How many times have we seen that. Assassin's creed has had a good re-imagining and turned a stale formula round, so it's doable. Maybe other franchises will take note.
Scott me up beamie!

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:47 am

Street Fighter 2. Release champ edition of the SF4 engine, I mean gamewise an EXACT version of CE but on the engine, I pay 100 pound for that.

Champ manager 01/02 with current teams ..... oh wait *patch patch patch* :wink:

Combo-Breaker

Post by Combo-Breaker » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:16 pm

Anything to do with James Bond.

ANY developer who is thinking of doing a Bond game MUST take inspiration from the Bond titles on the PS2.

They were fantastic games.