So, how is new gen going for everyone?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

RodimusPrime

Re: So, how is new gen going for everyone?

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:16 pm

Got an Xbox at launch and really enjoyed Dead rising 3 and Forza. Also got Killer instinct for free which I spent much more time playing than I thought I would.

I am happy with the purchase, and for me its nice to know the machine is already there if a game comes out.

Also just recently got a Wiiu, and I have to say that the Super mario games look lovely in HD, the colours really stand out and have a really nice look to them.

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:24 pm

I'm thoroughly enjoying my Wii U - great Nintendo exclusives and a chance to sample some of the treats (Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, Arkham series) that us Nintendo fans missed out on last gen. Yep, so far the next gen is shaping up well for me.

Not currently interested in Xbox One or PS4, but if forced to choose I'd go for the PS4. More grunt under the bonnet and the list of exclusives is more appealing to me than MS's.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:08 pm

Its not for me at the moment, im still good with the 360 and I suspect I will be for a while to come, maybe!? Truth is I am still waiting for a game(s) to come out that says buy me and a new system as there has always been a game that has made me go and buy a new system, im still waiting though sadly. Still considering the PC route tbh.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:11 pm

RetroBob wrote:censored, how did I post this thread on the RG forum? I meant to post it on another one! This is not a retro topic, mods please delete this thread or move to off topic.

edit: felt weird reporting my own thread.
It seems to be getting a fair amount of answers! Do you mind if it stays??!!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:28 pm

I'll probably get an XB1 in a couple of months. There are too many good games on the 360 to upgrade just yet, once I've gone next gen I'll probably want to pack up the old consoles for a while. PS4 doesn't interest me at all, designed by committee and terrible exclusives.

Neither console has a great line up this year. The problem is so many games are cross gen there isn't a need to upgrade.

Wii U is nice enough but Nintendo are barely supporting it.

crotea

Post by crotea » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:52 pm

I think it's stupid to get an xbox one or a next ps4 at the moment, has almost no games. Plus most of the sales are from kids tgat only play cod and fifa anyway, and the the fact that theyre paying that much for the graphics to be slightly updated annoys me greatly. Ive got a wii u though which I use all the time and has great games.

If we're talking handles I have both 3ds an Vita which are both awesome but the edge goes to the vita.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:53 pm

markopoloman wrote:
RetroBob wrote:censored, how did I post this thread on the RG forum? I meant to post it on another one! This is not a retro topic, mods please delete this thread or move to off topic.

Sure, why not - can you stick it in Off Topic since it's not retro?
Xbox Live: RetroBob

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:00 pm

it's not, the 360 is still sh1tting all over the latest machines, no question about that.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:29 pm

Please sir, can I have some games,

Ports dont count

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:03 pm

RetroBob wrote:
markopoloman wrote:

Sure, why not - can you stick it in Off Topic since it's not retro?

Don't worry about it, the Forum is calle " All about the games " and there was a thread that cleared all this up. The site is called retro gamers, its for Retro gamers and we still talk about modern games but from a retro gamers point of view.

If it was only for retro games the site would be called retro games. Its somewhere where we can talk about modern games while mentioning retro games without blinkered idiots saying ignorant things when retro games are mentioned.

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:13 pm

Yup, going good, Xboxone is excellent, PS4 is decent enough. Haven't set the Wii U up for a few weeks, but before that I was enjoying that too. Doesn't really bother me that the 360 is still going strong - last time I checked, I have one of those too. Far as i'm concerned, when everyone else jumps on the wagon and decides the PS4 or One are worth getting, I may not be in a position to afford either. Could when they came out, and haven't regretted it.

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:56 pm

I'm loving my PS4, but the lack of games is affecting my playtime, as is dark souls 2. It's a huge improvement on the PS3 and PSN is another big plus. Granted, not much on there either as it stands but there will be at some point. The last of us is also coming out, that's a system seller to anyone who hasn't played it before. Fantastic game.

I will get a xbone too at some point, and would love to get a vita too.

Eat your nans pants

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:44 pm

Mario and to a much lesser extent pikmin 3 on wii u are worth anyones time but that's about it I reckon. I've got rayman legends on it too, but that's really an old gen game.

I also have an xbox one and I kind of like the new killer instinct, but I end up playing the emulated arcade version that came with the download more. played crimson dragon for about 45 minutes but the controls are horrific.

I've played a couple of ps4 games - killzone and knack and thought they were both a bit dull.

other than some select wii u games this gen is a bit of a write-off so far. if I were to recommend a console to someone out of the three it would have to be wii u for the games, but i'd recommend a xbox360 or ps3 over any of them for this year at least.

xboxone might get some working unique features and games eventually, I have no idea where sony are heading with ps4 apart from bumping up the pixel counts, which for me isn't that interesting.

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:56 pm

In 3 weeks time I will own an XBOXone completing the trilogy with the PS4 and Wii U. The Wii U is our kids machine (though not officially), they play both Skylanders games, Disney Infinity and Wii Dance (mock you may but the machine still gets a lot of use because of it!). Mario Kart 8 will be picked up in May. The PS4 has been a mixed bag, Amazon had to replace mine after 2 months from launch date due to a resetting error (!, I've played nearly every launch release and enjoyed Battlefield 4, Resogun, Killzone and I am currently playing Second Son and MGSV: Ground Zeroes, not blowing me away yet but who cares? Only a few months in, I have plenty of back catalogue to play on PS3 too (located in another room in the house). No-one should feel they are missing out yet but I have still enjoyed owning them so far. Thing is, you get so used to improved graphics quickly and think we get harder and harder to impress...

Post by 3703 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:54 am

Yet to buy any of the new gen consoles or handhelds, and I'm not sure when that will change. I can't justify the purchases when I've barely used the predecessors, which are similar.

End of the day, my most wanted device is a definitive portable for emulation. Something that fits in your pocket, great control layout, and excellent emulation of everything up to and including the SNES/GBA. I've been on the hunt for this for years, and a bought a few things to . The PSP can't do it. The GP2X can't do it. I bought a Nexus 7 (2012) which absolutely handles the emulation but isn't that portable, and less so when you attach a physical controller. The Pandora was too bloody expensive. I've looked into those JXD Chinese things but only the lower end ones have the handheld form factor, don't know how they handle things.

Maybe the Vita.
Last edited by 3703 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.