So, how is new gen going for everyone?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

RetroBob

So, how is new gen going for everyone?

Post by RetroBob » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:42 am

We're a few months in, who has jumped on board so far, what are you playing?

I've not got a XBO or PS4 yet for two reasons, 1) there's no game out now that's really selling me the system. 2) My games room isn't near set up yet so it would be a waste to play these games without decent sound and tele. I am sufficing with my Wii U which is getting a lot of play now, currently on Arkham Origins but got a bit of a backlog for it tbh.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

big mean bunny

Re: So, how is new gen going for everyone?

Post by big mean bunny » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:03 am

I am thinking about getting a Xbox one this week, predominantly due to the super market prices and Titanfall, which is the only "next gen" game that I have had any desire to buy/play, the reason I am not getting it on the 360 instead is the price, it seems madness to spend £45 quid on a game when I could shovel that towards a new system.

I had been set to get a ps4 as my first foray into the new gen, however as you say both system's seem really light to me on killer apps to me, the main reason I want the x1 instead is to just plonk it in the living room the way I have with the ps3, which I have barely used as a games machine, so I plan on trading that in or selling it.

The issue that both machines have, is that I currently have 20 games sat on my desk upstairs that I really want to play for the older machines.
Episode 14 now out 14th of Sept - Sega Mega drive £25 games challenge

Invert Y gaming podcast - the only way to play, news, chat and challenges, by gamers, for gamers.

http://invertypodcast.podomatic.com or Invert Y on iTunes

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:06 am

I love my XO and hate it in equal measure. I'm glad I got it at launch but only because I didn't pay for it. In hindsight? I couldn't argue a point where there is any reason to get one at launch (or from what I hear a PS4 for that matter).

It needs more games and deffo more app stuff.

It does have the mighty BF4 which is my game of last year (and this years so far).

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:09 am

At this point I rarely use my PS4 and only own one physical game (Injustice, which is decent but I don't need a PS4 to play it) but I use my Wii U all the time. I love the single player games, it's great multi-player too - a number of my friends have gone on to buy a Wii U of their own based on playing mine. Game & Wario's pictionary type minigame is a real winner with groups, a great laugh. Nintendo Land and Wii Party U also make great use of the console's features. I'm a massive fan of Rayman Legends, Super Mario 3D World is one of the most creative Nintendo platformers ever, Pikimin 3 is good fun, Wind Waker HD is actually better than the original, Earthbound is a great RPG, The Wonderful 101 is a real gem, Assassin's Creed IV is possibly my favourite game of last year...a really underrated console.

However, if handhelds count, my PS Vita gets the most use out of my 'current gen' machines. I love it. One of my all time favourite consoles. It's just superb.

big mean bunny

Post by big mean bunny » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:19 am

I am with you on the Ps Vita love, I dread to think how much time I have plugged into that little beauty. The only blemish it has is the terrible memory storage prices that accompany it. It feels like what they hoped they wanted the PSP Go to be, but implemented so much better, about from a 16gb memory card costing moon than if you were to try and buy the moon, I would have so many more games if it had the capacity to house them all.

Invert Y gaming podcast - the only way to play, news, chat and challenges, by gamers, for gamers.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:31 am

I have none of the three 8th generation consoles yet.

I'm currently most tempted by the Wii U in terms of software, but I'd want the Premium pack with New Mario Bros, Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8 and a couple of other games, it would set me back nearly £400 - I think I can wait for a bit longer for the price to come down, as I have hundreds of games that need playing first!

The PS4/Xbox One can also wait. I think i got the 360 in 2008, and PS3 in 2009 (and Wii in 2007), so 2-3 years after their initial launch. Usually by that time, the library of games is decent, and the price has come down by £50-100, plus used games are flooding the market and cheaper to obtain.

So I reckon i'll wait till 2015 for now.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:41 am

I haven't stepped in this generation yet for console. Never have I been so sure in saying that I won't be anytime soon either.

However, if you count the Vita as this generation, then I am having an amazing time

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:48 am

I'm in the process of redundancy, yet even with a little wind fall, I don't feel moved to get an Xbone or PS4 - because there simply aren't any games that interest me, beyond perhaps BF4 (which I now dislike on the 360, because its simply not much fun)

If I was in the market for a new console, I'd get a Wii U or a Vita, both of which interest me - and now I have reading glasses, I can use handhelds again!

For me, the "next gen" has been so utterly underwhelming, perhaps more so than any gen launched to date. They all look so dull and lifeless.

The console I'm playing most at the moment? Gamecube... and that probably says it all.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:49 am

I got a PS4 on launch day and so far, so meh. I've played through Killzone, which was ok. Had a blast with Resogun for a while. Contrast was ok. Really enjoying Tomb Raider at the moment. I suppose it helps that my PS3 died recently, so I'm spending most of my console time on the PS4.

As others have pointed out, there really isn't much on the PS4 that justifies the price. All the games look nice, sure, but there's nothing on the system you can't get elsewhere.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:57 am

censored, how did I post this thread on the RG forum? I meant to post it on another one! This is not a retro topic, mods please delete this thread or move to off topic.

edit: felt weird reporting my own thread.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:00 pm

Does it need moving? As long as it's game related I'm sure most people don't mind, it is generating some replies.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:05 pm

theantmeister wrote:I got a PS4 on launch day and so far, so meh. I've played through Killzone, which was ok. Had a blast with Resogun for a while. Contrast was ok. Really enjoying Tomb Raider at the moment. I suppose it helps that my PS3 died recently, so I'm spending most of my console time on the PS4.

As others have pointed out, there really isn't much on the PS4 that justifies the price. All the games look nice, sure, but there's nothing on the system you can't get elsewhere.
Did Infamous not tickle your fancy?

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:11 pm

samhain81 wrote:
theantmeister wrote:I got a PS4 on launch day and so far, so meh. I've played through Killzone, which was ok. Had a blast with Resogun for a while. Contrast was ok. Really enjoying Tomb Raider at the moment. I suppose it helps that my PS3 died recently, so I'm spending most of my console time on the PS4.

Did Infamous not tickle your fancy?
It does look nice, but I had a go on it and I didn't like the combat at all. The enemies seem crazily over-powered, at least at the start of the game.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:18 pm

I got an XO at Xmas with three disc games and three digital games. I completed Dead Rising, couldn't get into Black Flag and now only play the mighty Battlefield (what a game) I really was indifferent to Killer Instict. It has been a bit of a games drought for the last few weeks but there are a few on the horizon now. As for the console itself I think it's excellent I'm looking forward to Watchdogs and Wolfenstein.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

big mean bunny

Post by big mean bunny » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:26 pm

I think when the likes of destiny, watchdogs, the division (although think that has slipped till 2015?) start to come out then you may notice more and more differences or reasons to want the 8th gen version, however publishers at the minute are never going to leave the old consoles behind and not develop for them as they have massive install bases/potential customers.

I looked it up the other day when discussing this with a friend, but they made Fifa 14 for the ps2 so I can see the 360 and ps3 having long "end of lives". There is just so much good stuff for each now!