The Dreamcast is Overrated

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

learnedrobb

Re: The Dreamcast is Overrated

Post by learnedrobb » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:53 am

Overrated? Not to me it isn't.

But defining something as 'overrated'underrated' is a personal thing. I know loads of guys who think that the PS2 was the greatest console ever. Me? I feel it was overrated. But thats just my opinion, not a world defining statement.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

Scooby1970

Post by Scooby1970 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:45 am

I sold my original Dreamcast with around 200 games a few months ago for £100, and although it's my favourite console of all time, I now have all the games I played a lot of on my PC or PS3. It was a great console, with a great controller and some amazing features. Things just seemed so much better on the Dreamcast, and of course, it was one super-sexy console.

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

GameOverYeah

Post by GameOverYeah » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:59 am

It's just one of those consoles you had to play at the time to understand why so many people go crazy over it. It's got a lot of great games and hidden gems if you are willing to look.

But the main reason it is so highly regarded by many is how ahead of its time it was. Offering online play when that was solely a PC thing. Online chat (text) and browsing was a big deal for me at the time. Also the graphics were just so much better that anything at the time. There are so many exclusives that have aged really well. That's not something that can be said about the PS2 which only achieved that at the end of its life cycle.

It's debatable whether its better on paper than the PS2 but its highly regarded by many for good reason.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:03 am

GameOverYeah wrote:It's just one of those consoles you had to play at the time to understand why so many people go crazy over it. It's got a lot of great games and hidden gems if you are willing to look.

But the main reason it is so highly regarded by many is how ahead of its time it was. Offering online play when that was solely a PC thing. Online chat (text) and browsing was a big deal for me at the time. Also the graphics were just so much better that anything at the time. There are so many exclusives that have aged really well. That's not something that can be said about the PS2 which only achieved that at the end of its life cycle.

It's debatable whether its better on paper than the PS2 but its highly regarded by many for good reason.
Well said.

People forget most of the time about the DC's browser. I used it all the time when my family were using the PC.

Did anyone else use the website booyaka.com? It was a website were users could upload their vmu game saves to a database via PC, and anyone could download them directly to their vmu's via the DC browser. It was basically the best Action Replay ever lol

Nautical Rudie

Post by Nautical Rudie » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:03 am

I agree that you had to use it at the time, but a lot of its best games still hold up today and have never been better than they were DC. I'm a big fan of the controller myself, and the chunky colourful graphics are ace and have aged ok, at least stylistically. Maybe it gets overrated a little due to nostalgia, bit i guess that's cos of 'Firefly' syndrome - its was snatched away early before it hit its full potential.

One interesting thing I read the other day was an article on Den of Geek, that the Wii U has now been out as long as the DC was when it got canned. I like the Wii U a lot, but catalogue and potential-wise the DC looks pretty good in comparison.
3DS Friend Code: 0130-1873-6926. Give me a shout if you add me!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:54 am

GameOverYeah wrote:It's just one of those consoles you had to play at the time
Sorry, but I can't agree with this. DC had been dead at retail and out of production for years before I even saw one in person, and for me it was a wtf moment. It easily holds up against many PS2 releases.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:40 am

I had mine after a PS1 and never had an internet connection to use with it. What I did have were some great arcade games that got played way more then and still do. There are good games on the DC and I think as a short lived console it still had enough good stuff to be comparitively strong against the PS2. The PS2 outlasted it and had a vast library, if the DC had lasted as long it may have had a strong library too.

So no not overrated but worth owning with some strong titles , just (as with the PS2 and most others) avoid the plethora of shovelware and filler.

Personally I enjoy Soul Calibur , Grandia 2 , Dynamite Cop , Zombie Revenge , Crazy Taxi and they alone are my reasons for keeping mine.