The Dreamcast is Overrated

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Megamixer

Re: The Dreamcast is Overrated

Post by Megamixer » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:50 pm

HEAVYface wrote:interesting...but I've still not seen a ps2 game that blows me away graphically.
I thought Black was pretty impressive when I first got it on release. I only have the (prettier) Xbox version now but I still think the PS2 version is decent-looking.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:17 pm

^ Gran Turismo 3 was pretty amazing back then, imo. Not so sure why people were so impressed with MGS 2 though. I thought it looked quite blurry and jaggy. Overall, my GeForce 4 MX (rebranded GF2 GTS) was drawing better graphics than the PS2. :wink:

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:20 pm

I dont think the DC is overated at all, i bought one in 08 and its a system that impressed me from the start, although i do lament that it didn't get the scope in its games library as other systems have had. There are a fair few action, action/adventure, RPG's in the western library, but there are not nearly enough tbh, and the lack of a second analog stick was quite an oversight on the designers part.

I have had my DC set up ever since i bought one and there are loads of games worth keeping one hooked up for. Ready 2 Rumbly Boxing 1/2 are the best boxing games ever produced, Silver, RE2, RE: CV, Shenmue 1/2, SR2, PS 1/2, Skies of Arkadia, Headhunter, Ecco etc. I know you can get quite a few of the DC's games on other systems now, but that doesn't mean they are worth getting: Crazy Taxi lack the Offspring music and Sonic Adventure on XBLA was the GC version i believe.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:48 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:^ Gran Turismo 3 was pretty amazing back then, imo. Not so sure why people were so impressed with MGS 2 though. I thought it looked quite blurry and jaggy. Overall, my GeForce 4 MX (rebranded GF2 GTS) was drawing better graphics than the PS2. :wink:
ps2 games in general are a bit blurry texture wise, and a bit jaggy with the poly edges, there are some decent looking games on the system just nothing like panzer dragoon on the xbox or star wars on the cube for instance.

I thought gt3 looked OK in the replays (where they pumped up the reflections to good effect). I thought the intro to MGS2 looked good (the bit with the ship in a storm), but the in game graphics were a bit cheap looking with low resolution and repetitive texturing. gradius v looked ok although i didn't like the game much. i really liked the game zone of the enders, but again the graphics were not great.

sony shot themselves in the foot a bit with all that emotion engine talk, i think people were expecting a lot more.

do you remember when sony networked all those ps2 machines together to render 'a bugs life' in real time to prove something or other? sony are (or more accurately were) really good at bullsh!tting i'll give them that!

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:03 pm

HEAVYface wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:^ Gran Turismo 3 was pretty amazing back then, imo. Not so sure why people were so impressed with MGS 2 though. I thought it looked quite blurry and jaggy. Overall, my GeForce 4 MX (rebranded GF2 GTS) was drawing better graphics than the PS2. :wink:
ps2 games in general are a bit blurry texture wise, and a bit jaggy with the poly edges, there are some decent looking games on the system just nothing like panzer dragoon on the xbox or star wars on the cube for instance.

I thought gt3 looked OK in the replays (where they pumped up the reflections to good effect). I thought the intro to MGS2 looked good (the bit with the ship in a storm), but the in game graphics were a bit cheap looking with low resolution and repetitive texturing. gradius v looked ok although i didn't like the game much. i really liked the game zone of the enders, but again the graphics were not great.

sony shot themselves in the foot a bit with all that emotion engine talk, i think people were expecting a lot more.

do you remember when sony networked all those ps2 machines together to render 'a bugs life' in real time to prove something or other? sony are (or more accurately were) really good at bullsh!tting i'll give them that!
I remember the hype surrounding the "Emotion Engine" and how it got it's name because "it was so strong it could render emotions in real-time".

Turned out Shenmue on the DC did it prior to PS2. :wink:

They also said something along the lines "three times stronger than the best Pentium III PC" but again, how come the P3-based Xbox beat it with ease in things like A.I. and physics? :wink:

There were also sayings of "Toy Story quality graphics" which was also pure bs (even from an artistic standpoint) although apparently it was MS who made that claim and it was taken a bit out of context (basically they said that the new pixel-shader tech would allow for CGI-like GPU effects).

PS2's tech was interesting but claims of a "supercomputer in console form" were largly exaggerated.

Although there was one controversy where thousands of PS2s were bought by the Iraqi regime and the US defense ministry panicked about possible "PS2 supercomputer cluster powered nukes"... :wink:

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:04 pm

outdated_gamer wrote: Turned out Shenmue on the DC did it prior to PS2. :wink:
Re. Conveying emotion
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry, but no.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:31 pm

No PS2 game made my jaw drop in the same way as Soul Calibur did but I suppose that couple of years head start Sega had meant a certain amount of desensitisation to impressive graphical feats by the time the PS2 really got into its stride.

It wasn't until the 360/PS3 came along that I could say I was awestruck by a game's visuals again.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:03 pm

Nemesis wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote: Turned out Shenmue on the DC did it prior to PS2. :wink:
Re. Conveying emotion
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry, but no.
Depends on perspective. I find the N64's Zeldas were pretty good at conveying emotions too, despite the tech limitations. And if we go far back in time - Defender of the Crown on the Amiga.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:01 am

outdated_gamer wrote:I find the N64's Zeldas were pretty good at conveying emotions too
Agreed. I felt pain.

In my eyes.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:16 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:I find the N64's Zeldas were pretty good at conveying emotions too
Agreed. I felt pain.

In my eyes.
Disgrace!

Dam

Post by Dam » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:16 pm

How did I miss this thread? I've been saying this all along!

For me personally, its simply the fact that there aren't really any games I'd want to play that aren't available elsewhere, with the possible exceptions of Border Down and Street Fighter Alpha 3. And that controller? What were they thinking......

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:30 pm

Dam wrote:How did I miss this thread? I've been saying this all along!

For me personally, its simply the fact that there aren't really any games I'd want to play that aren't available elsewhere, with the possible exceptions of Border Down and Street Fighter Alpha 3. And that controller? What were they thinking......

I understand that, but people have to understand that at the time those games were only on DC. its easy to look back and say whats so special, but guess what, there was a reason you can get all of the Dreamcasts great games everywhere else and that is because they were great games and when the DC got discontinued they were so popular thet everyone wanted the games on other machines. Fact is at one point the DC was the only place to play them and at that time owning a DC was truly special.

So, no, for its time period it is most definitely not overrated.

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:40 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:

I understand that, but people have to understand that at the time those games were only on DC. its easy to look back and say whats so special, but guess what, there was a reason you can get all of the Dreamcasts great games everywhere else and that is because they were great games and when the DC got discontinued they were so popular thet everyone wanted the games on other machines. Fact is at one point the DC was the only place to play them and at that time owning a DC was truly special.

So, no, for its time period it is most definitely not overrated.
Spot on. I'm not sure why having lots of DC games on newer consoles has made people think the DC is overrated - surely, an overrated console wouldn't have it's games ported so much? And there's still only one place where you can enjoy all of them.

Dam

Post by Dam » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:19 pm

From my point of view, I wasn't really into gaming that much around the time of the Dreamcast, so I don't have the nostalgia factor, and my tastes in gaming are fairly narrow, and certainly don't include a lot of games some people would consider 'classics' like shenmue or soul calibur.

I still can't get past how bad the controller is though!

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:21 pm

I'm not the biggest fan of the controller, but I'd still rate it higher than any PlayStation controller. Arcade stick is a whole different story though.