The hardest games of all time

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

killbot

Re: The hardest games of all time

Post by killbot » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:18 pm

Scratch_Porkings wrote:
killbot wrote:

Oh, and I'd also give a shout out to Hercules on the Electron. It was the prequel to Yolanda on the ST and Amiga (which has already been mentioned) and plays identically, with unavoidable traps and platforms that seem to turn into spikes at random scattered throughout the 12 screens. The game came with no instructions and each time you die you restart on any one of the 12 levels randomly, meaning you can't practice one over and over until it's perfected. A truly horrible game.

That sounds like a truly enjoyable game, I really must give it a go sometime...
Oh yes. The fact that a few years later someone thought it was a great idea to create a sequel on then-next gen machines is... utterly bizarre. Although no more bizarre than the fact that said person didn't correct a single one of the game's flaws.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:52 pm

Shadow of the Beast 2 on the Amiga. Insanely difficult, unbalanced gameplay, lots of possible dead ends too. Very, very frustrating.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:26 am

In tribute to my avatar, I'd nominate Knightmare on the CPC, Speccy and C64. Insanely difficult due to the constantly decreasing energy bar, puzzles that make NO SENSE and enemies that can only be killed temporarily by throwing rocks at them. But to throw rocks at them you have to go into an inventory system. Select 'pick up'. press fire. Then scroll to the word 'rock'. press fire. Then move to the enemy. Select 'throw' from the inventory. Then press fire. then select 'rock. All while the game is live and the enemies are attacking you and draining your energy bar. I have a complete solution for it, still never finished it.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:19 am

I found Kid Dracula on Game Boy to be pretty tough.

I don't think there is such a thing as a 'hardest game of all time' as most of these games tend to ultimately ask you to remember levels/patterns.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:19 pm

Re-Volt on the Dreamcast was ball-bustingly hard. Great game, but the slightest wrong move and you'd spin out or flip over.

snesfanboy

Post by snesfanboy » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:55 am

Ninja Gaiden (NES)
Ghost 'n Goblins/Ghosts (pretty much any iteration)
Castlevania (NES, 1 + 3)
Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1 + 2

i finished DeS and DaS 1+2, got to level 5-2 on Ninja Gaiden, played some Castlevania on emu and GnG i only got to the 2nd level (with those bats flying out of the window to get you)

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:16 pm

Splatterhouse 2.

I must have tried to smash my TV about 100 times when I owned this game.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb