The hardest games of all time

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

sscott

Re: The hardest games of all time

Post by sscott » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:46 pm

koopa42 wrote:Jet Set Willy. Impossible?
On some systems yes, but not all. I would like retrogamer to expand its impossible to complete mini games review in this month's issue.

Mancman

Post by Mancman » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:50 pm

In recent years, Bayonetta. On later levels it drove me absolutely mental and reluctantly I had to quit.

Don't recall ever doing that before!

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:56 pm

Technician Ted on the Spectrum (and probably all other formats, though I've never attempted any other). Jumping Jiminy Juniper, it's tough. Pixel-perfect jumping and a range of tasks to be performed in a non-determined specific order and with no idea what solving each will do. Strewth.

Any of the Ghosts n Goblins series (though I did reach the very last moment of the game on the Spectrum and defeated one of the two Red Arrers(?) but died myself in the process. Never managed anywhere near that again).

I wouldn't class JSW in this category - impossible, yes, but hard-as-nails it is not. JSW2 on the other hand....

Son of Blagger on the Spectrum. More pixel-perfect jumping. Gah!

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:01 pm

Ikaruga on the DC - I am crap at shooters but blimey charlie.....
Going Solo...................

Gibberish Driftwood

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:10 pm

Game over for the C64. The game is really hard. You get a game over screen before the game has even started. :?
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:35 pm

Doom on Nightmare setting. Especially if your like me that you have to 100% each and every level. Try the first level on 'thy flesh consumed' as a gentle introduction .........

Tycoon Tex on the c16. A brutal moon buggy clone. You'll need the reaction times of a cat on speed just to get to level 5.

Super Empire Strikes on the SNES. Many teeth marks appeared on my joypad after buying this. Can't think why.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:44 pm

TheDude18 wrote:Doom on Nightmare setting. Especially if your like me that you have to 100% each and every level. Try the first level on 'thy flesh consumed' as a gentle introduction .........
I'm a huge Doom fan and I never play Nightmare setting, it offers nothing for me TBH

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:05 pm

Same here Koops. It saps a lot of fun out of the game ( every single shot counts) making the game a chore

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:23 pm

Kid Chameleon on the Mega Drive, I couldn't even finish it with infinite lives using an Action Replay cheat cartridge!
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

Mancman

Post by Mancman » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:27 pm

Green Beret on the CPC, dodgiest collision detection ever!
Still completed it though.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:44 pm

Most Dinamic games on the 8 bits. Freddy Hardest, Army/Navy Moves and Game Over were the main culprits. Airwolf on the Speccy - defeating one regenerating wall on the second screen only to be faced with a second wall on the third screen; I doubt many saw much past this.

Of all games Krazy Kong by C-Tech on the Speccy is both the worst game of all time and possibly also the hardest. It's a real chore just to get the game to load, never mind actually attempt to play it.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:29 pm

Jack and the Beanstalk on the Speccy.

If you watch a Youtube playthrough, it takes three minutes.

In reality, without save states and the like, it takes you FOREVER. Everything kills you in the game. Mostly with no hint that it will.

Touch the floor? Death. The scenery? Death. Touch the wrong part of the beanstalk? Death. Touch a brick in the wrong way? Death.

It's completely insane and devastatingly unfair. Also, every death triggers an awful bit of BEEP music, just to rub it all in.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:34 pm

IO on the C64. You basically have to learn every single move to make, I mean playing that game is somewhat akin to doing calculus maths whilst someone kicks you in the head, I mean what's the point?

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:57 pm

Bluce_Ree wrote:Jack and the Beanstalk on the Speccy.

If you watch a Youtube playthrough, it takes three minutes.

In reality, without save states and the like, it takes you FOREVER. Everything kills you in the game. Mostly with no hint that it will.

Touch the floor? Death. The scenery? Death. Touch the wrong part of the beanstalk? Death. Touch a brick in the wrong way? Death.

It's completely insane and devastatingly unfair. Also, every death triggers an awful bit of BEEP music, just to rub it all in.
The jack and the beanstalk where the second level is when you have to climb on the giants table etc without waking him up? If so, nightmare! I felt like I deserved a medal just for making it up the beanstalk, gave up on the next level. I had it for the CPC btw (for my sins)

Eat your nans pants

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:49 pm

My choices:

Mario Adventure (SMB.3 hack) - may not be the hardest Mario hack out there, still it's pretty hard anyway. A well made one as well, easilly one of the best. The undisputed King of difficulty has to be Kaizo Mario though.

Ghouls n Ghosts - I find this is the hardest Ghosts game. The Arcade version in particular.

Doom 1 & II on Nightmare - pretty easy to explain why. Respawning monsters everywhere, a severe shortage of ammunition and quick deaths make this is a chore to play.

Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting on hardest and fastest setting - the AI in the game may have it's quirks, still it's robotically accurate and tough on hardest settings.

Super Hang On on Expert - Sega knew how to make good Arcade racers. Thisone can be really hard but great nonetheless. Arcade version is the "real deal".

Grand Prix Legends without helpers - this classic race sim still has impressive physics and is a real challenge without any aids. For many the best F1 era.

Ghost Recon 1 on Elite - on higher difficulty settings this tactical shooter can become "hard as nails". They don't make them like this anymore.

Severance: Blade of Darkness - before there was Dark/Demon Souls, there was Severance: Blade of Darkness, a dark, gritty, bloody and tough PC-exclusive hack n slash. Sadly there never was a sequel to this great game but it goes down in history as one of the toughest and deepest hack n slash games out there.