Facebook buys Oculus

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

koopa42

Re: Facebook buys Oculus

Post by koopa42 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:13 am

Youpawn should have bought it. Facebook is fail...... 3D farmvillecrush in one eye and ads in the other then.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:59 pm

As long as you don't need a Facebook account to use it I don't see the issue. :wink:

Enthusiasts already built their very own VR environments (Oculus + Wiimote + Cyberith Virtualizer):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPyqGQYNspk

Looks like you won't even need to join the Army and go through tedious training procedures and risk your life to experience the full combat experience in the near future. :wink:

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:43 pm

not bothered either way but funny to read some of the rants from the oculus fans who are raging about the sale :D

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:17 pm

Go go targeted ads ingame and constant changes every flipping time you think you've got the hang of the way things look...

I do admit I use facebook, but it's only for keeping in touch with certain family members who seemingly change their phone numbers every few weeks.
Where logic won't work, I will

merman

Post by merman » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:02 am

Notch has pulled the Oculus Rift version of Minecraft. He does not want to be part of Facebook, and is annoyed that the people who paid to Kickstart the project effectively gave the company the money to let it grow big enough for Facebook to see it as a good acquisition.

I had started to become interested in the possibilities but this deal is a real turn-off.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:01 pm

Have to have a bit of sympathy for the kickstarter backers. who helped get this off the ground.
While it was always understood that future investment would be needed, this is not what they backed the project for.

It may turn out for the best and finally turn VR into an actual commercially available product but I can't see Facebook focusing on core gaming which is what the Oculus Rift was supposed to be for.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:10 pm

I really don't see what all the fuss is about. OR has just got a MASSIVE boost of cash and stands a far better chance of success with FB buying it. Yeah, the backers will be narked - but they should end up with a better product and they have already funded the project up to this point.
FB have said that OR will stay in the same place with the same team. So what of Mr Minecraft has thrown his dummy out of the pram - I reckon he'll be back at some point with Minecraft OR.

Just becasue FB own the company, it doesn't mean we are going to be getting Farmville VR!! Be positive :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:56 pm

markopoloman wrote: Just becasue FB own the company, it doesn't mean we are going to be getting Farmville VR!! Be positive :D
The most naive post currently available on the internet.

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:05 pm

markopoloman wrote:
Just becasue FB own the company, it doesn't mean we are going to be getting Farmville VR!! Be positive :D
But it means exactly that.

It's crap

Eat your nans pants

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:32 pm

Well, ok, so there maybe Farmville VR at some point, but my point is FB aren't going to kill OR. It is a cash cow that can assist its growth.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:54 am

I don't see why the Kickstarter backers should be up in arms about this. Firstly, they gave their money with no strings attached - and everyone should have figured that out by now - and secondly, if they couldn't find a buyer the whole project would be stone dead and they'd get nothing out of it.

Perhaps someone like Microsoft or Valve would have made a better fit than Facebook, with the latter's current focus on casual gaming, but I'd hardly suspect that Zynga and King will be the totality of the developers that are going to use it.