How does the First Mortal Kombat stand up based on gameplay.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

SpockIOM

Re: How does the First Mortal Kombat stand up based on gamep

Post by SpockIOM » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:17 am

I thought the first one was ok and the second was better. The real fun in MK for me was finding all the special moves and fatalities, usually with my mates in 2P mode - I probably played through the 1P game once with each character just to see their end stories, but as has been said, with the same basic moveset it wasn't overly challenging. So gameplay wise, not brilliant next to other fighting games.
If it wasn't so striking to look at at the time it probably wouldn't have stood up to the competition - the series started to get very boring (and really effing silly) from number 3 onwards, the style was lost on other games (Batman Forever, for example) and the spin-off Sub Zero Chronicles (or whatever it was called) was one of the worst games ever made. I didn't think the transition to 3D wasn't much better either. So, more of a victory for Midway based on half-baked "moral" objections from the Daily Mail than on a properly good game. Kind of a similar story when the first GTA was released, but at least that game had some variety.
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:17 am

MK1's strength was in the speed of the combat. It's like watching the exaggerated combat from Best of the Best. MK2 did it even better.

Both games, like all MK games, were ultimately ruined by the boss fights though.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Bluce_Ree wrote:MK1's strength was in the speed of the combat. It's like watching the exaggerated combat from Best of the Best. MK2 did it even better.
First two MKs are very slow though. Compared to SF II: Hyper Fighting (aka Turbo) they have a snail-like pace. :wink:

They speeded up MK 3 by adding a run button and combo system.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:38 am

I have got to say mortal kombat from day one had fantastic story and has a very rich lore were as street fighter has poor story that is inconsistant between media i.e the anime adds things that arn't part of the games or comics and the movies are utter nonsense, where as mortal kombat has a strict backstory. ok the story got weak from deception onwards and picked up in the sort of reboo, but take the first movie fantastic, the tv show was pretty good as well , the cartoon movie was alright and the cartoon series was so so.
This guy are sick

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:31 pm

stayAwhile wrote:I have got to say mortal kombat from day one had fantastic story and has a very rich lore were as street fighter has poor story that is inconsistant between media i.e the anime adds things that arn't part of the games or comics and the movies are utter nonsense, where as mortal kombat has a strict backstory. ok the story got weak from deception onwards and picked up in the sort of reboo, but take the first movie fantastic, the tv show was pretty good as well , the cartoon movie was alright and the cartoon series was so so.
I was kinda disappointed by the MK movie. But compared to Street Fighter and Double Dragon, it was pretty good... :wink:

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:50 pm

MK 1 and 2 both looked brilliant especially when I first saw it in Barry Island and some guy doing Sub Zero's Spinal Cord rip and getting to the Endurance matches.. Also Sub Zero and Scorpion are awesome Characters, add in also brilliant story and Back History and some really cool speech and endings.. The blood and Finishing moves just made it different to a SF clone

Gameplay MK1 was easy to 1cc as everybody could be beaten with flying kicks from Screen distance followed by spamming Ice, uppercut, slide.. Likewise MK2 could be finished easily by jumping backwards as the computer would always jump after you and you could nail them with a Heavy kick, Scorpions spear etc, or mix it up say Scorpions jumping punch followed by air throw.. So yes they are still fun to play and finish hated MK3 onwards too hard Snes version was decent up till Shao Khan who he was impossible to beat.. The PS2 Mortal where great me though

The main thing about MK3 was all the Liars who could alleged finish it with Cyrax and in his ending he's lying in the sand and his Mask was broken and he had a skeleton face.. I never finished MK 3 too hard but could anybody confirm Cyrax's ending as I doubt its Scorpion?
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:34 am

OH GOD street fighter the movie was crap double dragon was marginly better.

as for the cryax ending SPOILER ALERT

Cyrax is captured by Sub-Zero and reprogrammed with new orders: to destroy Shao Kahn. With Kahn unable to detect this soulless assasin, Cyrax delivers a successful sneak attack.

However, after eliminating Kahn and saving Earth, Cyrax awaits for new orders from his Lin Kuei Headquarters. The orders never come and Cyrax malfunctions. He ends up stranded in the middle of the desert, blindly heading back toward his base.

complete with a picture of cyrax half burried in sand (but no skull face)
This guy are sick

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:40 am

Nothing like a happy ending eh?
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

PlodMadLoon

Post by PlodMadLoon » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:05 am

Nah, they were never all that for the gameplay. I remember thinking even at the time that they didn't hold a candle to the sheer level of variety found in Street Fighter II and it's spin-offs.

I will agree that the MK series had much better movies made about it, though. :)

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:48 am

Mortal Kombat 1 was s h i t.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:20 am

Mootown wrote:Mortal Kombat 1 was s h i t.

Street fighter 1 was worse :P
This guy are sick

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:21 pm

Mootown wrote:Mortal Kombat 1 was s h i t.
It was the "censored" back in 92/93. :wink:

Every kid wanted to rip spines with Sub-Zero and it just seemed so cool and novel, even in spite of SFII's arguably better combat mechanics. I used to be a huge MK fan myself, but there's only so much that it's fighting system can do. I think most of us would agree the older MK games are more interesting for their characters, lore and violence than the gameplay itself.

With that said, I still find the games enjoyable for some nostalgia. Just avoid the SNES version of the first MK which is very censored and very unresponsive.

Also, SF1 is pretty funny with two players. The "brokenness" of the game actually contributes to that. :wink:

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:39 pm

Thanks Stayawhile after all these years I finally get to know the ending :P even with save states Shoa Khan was impossible to beat.. The fake Scorpion ending seems a lot cooler I suppose with Scorpion being a ghost they'd be able to detect his soul

Also on the Snes version when fighting Shao Khan when he pointed and did his taunt it sounded like he was saying "You F(censored swear word"
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:13 am

I didn't find the boss fights that hard tbh. You just needed to use certain patterns to defeat them (i.e. excessive jump kicking or holding a distance + blocking + high kicking at the right time). They werent that much hard as they were cheap. :wink:

I was pretty impressed with the SNES soundtracks in the first two parts btw. They may be of low-quality but I think they actually sound better than the Arcade music. But the Arcade OST is still pretty damn good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=004nop8P ... D1C33C1FE7

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:09 pm

I enjoyed the PC version back in the day, as it was pretty close to a perfect copy of the Arcade version, where the first port of SF2 was an abomination.

Looking back, it's a pretty limited game due to the aforementioned similarity of moves between all the fighters, although at least the specials are all relatively easy to pull off which does throw in a bit of variety.