How does the First Mortal Kombat stand up based on gameplay.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

RodimusPrime

How does the First Mortal Kombat stand up based on gameplay.

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:43 pm

It received a lot of press and attention due to its digitised graphics, gore, and finishing moves. But was it ever that good of a game.

Most fighting games I like are great because they pit different styles against each other ( grappler vs ranged vs speed vs counter etc )

I always disliked MK because apart from th special moves there was noting to seperate the characyers, they all had the same punches kicks and sweeps. I always thought this was incredibly lazy and meant that there was no longterm depth. I know a lot of people love the game, but what does everybody else think.

koopa42

Re: How does the First Mortal Kombat stand up based on gamep

Post by koopa42 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:50 pm

The first 2 were good the rest were varying levels of trash.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:52 pm

koopa42 wrote:The first 2 were good the rest were varying levels of trash.
Did it not bother you that every character had exactly the same moveset, bar 1 or 2 specials each

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:38 pm

They where pants back then, now they are pants with skidmarks

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:39 pm

the fatalities and other special moves were always good fun but as you say it was never the deepest of fighting games, it does have a couple of iconic characters though.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:43 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:It received a lot of press and attention due to its digitised graphics, gore, and finishing moves. But was it ever that good of a game.

Most fighting games I like are great because they pit different styles against each other ( grappler vs ranged vs speed vs counter etc )

I always disliked MK because apart from th special moves there was noting to seperate the characyers, they all had the same punches kicks and sweeps. I always thought this was incredibly lazy and meant that there was no longterm depth. I know a lot of people love the game, but what does everybody else think.
Compared to Street Fighter 2, MK was basic at best. Style over substance really. Parts of the media were so caught up in the hype they proclaimed it better than SF2, basically the best fighter full stop.

Complete gubbins of course but it sold mags at the time. MK2 was a distinct improvement combo wise and was quite fun although still lacking the subtleties of its Capcom produced rival.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:47 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
Did it not bother you that every character had exactly the same moveset, bar 1 or 2 specials each
This is how I like my fighters, with a nice level playing field. 2 opponents, evenly matched, with only their skill to make a difference.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:54 pm

I missed out on the originals and never bothered to play them even when I had Midway Arcade Treasures 2 and I've never really been tempted either. I played one of the later 3D games and it was crap as far as fighters go. I really enjoy MK9 on the PS3 though for some reason.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:22 pm

To be honest slightly above average. Back in the day i'd have rated it 85/100 - but now? 65/100

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:24 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
Nope. Everything was so far below the mighty SFII games it didn't matter to me.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:20 am

It's pretty clunky and stiff control and gameplay-wise but it has a certain charm to it due to the iconic characters, digitized graphics (which still look pretty realistic - would be cool to see HD remakes of the old 2D Kombats), atmospheric stages and music and graphic violence.

If you want to see how MK1 looks like on a competitive level you can see some matches here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY_LZ1TdxUM

I'd say MKII is the better game but it also misses some of the "kung fu feel" of the original (replacing it with more out-worldish themes) and the violence is a bit too "over the top".

Never really liked UMK3 and Trilogy though.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:43 am

outdated_gamer wrote:It's pretty clunky and stiff control and gameplay-wise but it has a certain charm to it due to the iconic characters, digitized graphics (which still look pretty realistic - would be cool to see HD remakes of the old 2D Kombats), atmospheric stages and music and graphic violence.

If you want to see how MK1 looks like on a competitive level you can see some matches here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY_LZ1TdxUM

I'd say MKII is the better game but it also misses some of the "kung fu feel" of the original (replacing it with more out-worldish themes) and the violence is a bit too "over the top".

Never really liked UMK3 and Trilogy though.
Ultimate MK3 I agree with not enough of an improvement over MK3 and for some reason i jsut prefer MK3 but Trilogy was the update Ultimate needed my only gripe is the fact that in should of had the following MK1 or MK 2 sprites but in most case couldnt because of legal reasons johnny cage(mk1) shang tsung(mk2) the ninjas(mk1 with the baggy hoods) and sonya blade(mk1)

but as for mk1 it's fantastic it has a feel that no other mortal kombat has since (unless you play mk1 stage and charicters on trilogy)
This guy are sick

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:45 pm

I enjoyed them back in the day, but if it weren't for the violence and fatalities the franchise would have long since been forgotten. Even though I never progress far beyond button mashing when it comes to fighting games even I can see the SF engine was far superior in terms of moves and characters

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:40 am

I was disappointed when I recently revisited Mortal Kombat 1 via the "Arcade Kollection" on the 360.
The game feels incredibly clunky to me today but back when it was released It never seemed so bad. If I was to hazard a guess I would say being the blood thirsty child that I was, I never noticed how poorly the game controlled :lol:

I will add that MK2 doesn't feel too bad even now and is a huge improvement over the original but it still has it's flaws.

Back in the day I was more of a MK series fan than a Street Fighter 2 fan but upon reflection SF2 has definitely hold up better in terms of playability

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:09 am

I really like MK 1-2 but not for the gameplay. Neither were good even on release, certainly against the CPU. Bother were full of cheap moves and tactics. I just loved the mythology and plot to them. Locations were fantastic.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)