And still no retroinspection part 2!!!!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

kiwimike

Re: And still no retroinspection part 2!!!!

Post by kiwimike » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:28 am

The games themselves were on par with the much loved Colecovision, weren't they? I remember old adverts that had versions of games across multi formats, and the CV and TI ones always looked close to identical.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:35 am

Even the Atari 2600 could do smooth scrolling so this comes as no real surprise to me. :wink:

What I do wonder, though, is how the 16-bit CPU benefited this machine. Could it do some more advanced AI or some simple 3D graphics? I have to say I'm pretty impressed by early 3D games such as Rescue on Fractalus and The Eidolon (using "fractal" technology which I guess was the predecessor to voxel tech - correct me if I'm wrong :wink: ).

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:56 am

The TI graphics chip (TMS9918/28) was amazing for sprite control but when it came to smooth scrolling it was infamously bad, see Zaxxon on the Coleco or a whole raft of MSX games for reference.

It has transpired that it was not as bad as was originally thought and now new games are being developed that scroll smoothly and at speed.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:22 pm

PanzerGeneral wrote:The TI graphics chip (TMS9918/28) was amazing for sprite control but when it came to smooth scrolling it was infamously bad, see Zaxxon on the Coleco or a whole raft of MSX games for reference.

It has transpired that it was not as bad as was originally thought and now new games are being developed that scroll smoothly and at speed.
Just looked up the video chips of the Coleco and SG-1000 and it seems they both used this same TI chip and it appears MSX did too (first generation MSX at least).

Yeah, I saw that Coleco and SG-1000 had issues with smooth scrolling so apparently it does come down to this chip.

Interesting that it took so long for the homebrewers to figure out ways for smooth scrolling on this chip.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:30 pm

It always was possible to get a smooth scroll out of the TMS9918; you've just got to do it in software and rely on repeating patterns to get the most out of the miserly video bandwidth. Just look at games like Circus Charlie and Grog's Revenge on the MSX1 for a couple of obvious examples. Not many TI99 games do it, but that's mainly because the machine was dead in the water by that point and hardly anyone was still writing games for it.

As for the sprite capabilities, I wouldn't say that four monochrome sprites per scanline was that special, but I suppose there were quite a lot of machines that didn't have any hardware sprites at all at the time.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:24 am

Circus Charlie, MSX version

The background plane looks to be moving quite smoothly. Personally, I'm more used to the NES version. :wink:

There is also a homebrew Coleco version.

EDIT: here's another great MSX game that I enjoy playing - Antarctic Adventure [MSX, NES, Coleco]. :wink:

Cripper2

Post by Cripper2 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:37 pm

outdated_gamer wrote: EDIT: here's another great MSX game that I enjoy playing - Antarctic Adventure [MSX, NES, Coleco].
Try the sequel Penguin Adventure on MSX it is a much better game. The first game Hideo Kojima worked on

Yume Penguin Monogatari (famicom) probably is about the same penguin

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:48 pm

Cripper2 wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote: EDIT: here's another great MSX game that I enjoy playing - Antarctic Adventure [MSX, NES, Coleco].
Try the sequel Penguin Adventure on MSX it is a much better game. The first game Hideo Kojima worked on

Yume Penguin Monogatari (famicom) probably is about the same penguin
Personally I prefer Antarctic Adventure. :wink:

But yes, games with Pentarou are all pretty cool. :wink:

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:50 pm

You want to see a great game-check out the link to Road Hunter on the initial post, the game is obviously influenced by Spy Hunter-I would say it compares favourably with the C64 and Atari 8bit versions and if anything-probably runs a bit faster.