Your one favourite game. Any format. Ever.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

User avatar
Liamh1982
Posts: 8297
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:11 pm
Location: Wrexham
Contact:

Re: Your one favourite game. Any format. Ever.

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:55 pm

I think everyone here knows anyway but hey, a GIF! :D
Image

User avatar
outdated_gamer
Posts: 2597
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:14 pm

Re: Your one favourite game. Any format. Ever.

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:54 pm

Yoshi's Island (aka SMW 2) was so much better than SMW, though. :wink:

Not saying one should not like SMW better, but from a pure game design perspective it only topped SMW in every aspect, imo.

Kinda a shame that the most recent YI (New Yoshi's Island) got rather mediocre critical reception. Probably because it was developed by a "2nd rate" dev rather than Nintendo themselves.

User avatar
koopa42
Posts: 5903
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Playing the victim apparently?

Re: Your one favourite game. Any format. Ever.

Post by koopa42 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:04 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:Yoshi's Island (aka SMW 2) was so much better than SMW, though. :wink:
Ha ha! that's a good one that is.

User avatar
Liamh1982
Posts: 8297
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:11 pm
Location: Wrexham
Contact:

Re: Your one favourite game. Any format. Ever.

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:04 am

Not disputing for one second the greatness of Yoshi's Island - I still badly want the actual SNES cartridge - but two words: Baby Mario. ;)

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 4:16 pm

Re: Your one favourite game. Any format. Ever.

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:22 am

outdated_gamer wrote:Yoshi's Island (aka SMW 2) was so much better than SMW, though. :wink:

Not saying one should not like SMW better, but from a pure game design perspective it only topped SMW in every aspect, imo.

Kinda a shame that the most recent YI (New Yoshi's Island) got rather mediocre critical reception. Probably because it was developed by a "2nd rate" dev rather than Nintendo themselves.

:shock: I like Yoshis island, I really do, but IMO its not even in the same league as the original SMW.

User avatar
koopa42
Posts: 5903
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Playing the victim apparently?

Re: Your one favourite game. Any format. Ever.

Post by koopa42 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:26 am

RodimusPrime wrote: :shock: I like Yoshis island, I really do, but IMO its not even in the same league as the original SMW.
This.

User avatar
SoupDragon
Posts: 2087
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Carmarthenshire, Wales

Re: Your one favourite game. Any format. Ever.

Post by SoupDragon » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:54 am

Easy ~ Resident Evil 2 :D I was going to write Last Of Us or Morrowind but nope, RE2 8)
Image

User avatar
themightymartin
Posts: 1486
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:08 am
Location: Aldershot, UK
Contact:

Re: Your one favourite game. Any format. Ever.

Post by themightymartin » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:09 am

The arcade version of Smash TV, for the memories. Brutal Doom follows a close second.
Image
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

User avatar
SNESdrunk
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Your one favourite game. Any format. Ever.

Post by SNESdrunk » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:50 pm

Chrono Trigger. I even made a video explaining why. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB-KcAIg3Qw
SNESdrunk
Is ____ Worth Playing Today?
Why the Hype for _____?
https://www.youtube.com/user/1SNESdrunk

User avatar
outdated_gamer
Posts: 2597
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:14 pm

Re: Your one favourite game. Any format. Ever.

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:52 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:Yoshi's Island (aka SMW 2) was so much better than SMW, though. :wink:

Not saying one should not like SMW better, but from a pure game design perspective it only topped SMW in every aspect, imo.

Kinda a shame that the most recent YI (New Yoshi's Island) got rather mediocre critical reception. Probably because it was developed by a "2nd rate" dev rather than Nintendo themselves.

:shock: I like Yoshis island, I really do, but IMO its not even in the same league as the original SMW.
Well let's compare them then. :wink:

Visuals - YI is the clear winner here, with it's unique "crayon" style and lots of detail. The simplistic style in SMW may be appealing to some, there's still no denying YI has a more interesting artistic direction (if childish in some eyes).

Boss battles - YI has clearly the better bosses and boss fights. They may not be very tough but they're all imaginative and cool (especially the one on the moon).

Content - while SMW has lots of levels and secrets, it still doesn't have as many as YI has. When you beat all the main levels, there's more to unlock and there's many cool mini-games too, giving the game a great re-playablity factor (although SMW is good here too, especially for speedrunners and user-made new levels and hacks if we take PC/homebrew into equation).

Level diversity - YI wins here once again, with much more varied levels than SMW and a lot of cool things to do. The level design in general is much more appealing in YI, although SMW may have the edge in the difficulty.

Control - YI plays a bit different to SMW since 95% of the time we play with Yoshi and throw eggs, float, transform into Yoshi-vehicles and stuff like that. I would say SMW is better from a "traditionalist" Super Mario standpoint with it's tight and responsive controls, but YI's gameplay is still unique in it's own right.

Plot - both games have a typical "someone gets kidnapped, needs to be rescued" kind of story but I find the plot in YI a bit more interesting as it doesn't revolve around saving the princess for the n-th time again (instead we're saving Mario's baby brother Luigi this time around :wink: ). The pre-rendered cut-scenes and dialogue is also more interesting in YI.

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 4:16 pm

Re: Your one favourite game. Any format. Ever.

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:30 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:Yoshi's Island (aka SMW 2) was so much better than SMW, though. :wink:

Not saying one should not like SMW better, but from a pure game design perspective it only topped SMW in every aspect, imo.

Kinda a shame that the most recent YI (New Yoshi's Island) got rather mediocre critical reception. Probably because it was developed by a "2nd rate" dev rather than Nintendo themselves.

:shock: I like Yoshis island, I really do, but IMO its not even in the same league as the original SMW.
Well let's compare them then. :wink:

Visuals - YI is the clear winner here, with it's unique "crayon" style and lots of detail. The simplistic style in SMW may be appealing to some, there's still no denying YI has a more interesting artistic direction (if childish in some eyes).

Boss battles - YI has clearly the better bosses and boss fights. They may not be very tough but they're all imaginative and cool (especially the one on the moon).

Content - while SMW has lots of levels and secrets, it still doesn't have as many as YI has. When you beat all the main levels, there's more to unlock and there's many cool mini-games too, giving the game a great re-playablity factor (although SMW is good here too, especially for speedrunners and user-made new levels and hacks if we take PC/homebrew into equation).

Level diversity - YI wins here once again, with much more varied levels than SMW and a lot of cool things to do. The level design in general is much more appealing in YI, although SMW may have the edge in the difficulty.

Control - YI plays a bit different to SMW since 95% of the time we play with Yoshi and throw eggs, float, transform into Yoshi-vehicles and stuff like that. I would say SMW is better from a "traditionalist" Super Mario standpoint with it's tight and responsive controls, but YI's gameplay is still unique in it's own right.

Plot - both games have a typical "someone gets kidnapped, needs to be rescued" kind of story but I find the plot in YI a bit more interesting as it doesn't revolve around saving the princess for the n-th time again (instead we're saving Mario's baby brother Luigi this time around :wink: ). The pre-rendered cut-scenes and dialogue is also more interesting in YI.

All based on opinions, so in reality you have done nothing to actually prove Yoshis island is the better game. I prefer SMW, I think it has better graphics, and better playability and that is my opinion. Listing all the reasons YOU prefer YI is pointless because I am not all of a sudden going to agree with you just because you told me all the reasons you like Yoshis island, which is in fact, all you have done.

User avatar
outdated_gamer
Posts: 2597
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:14 pm

Re: Your one favourite game. Any format. Ever.

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:08 pm

RodimusPrime wrote: All based on opinions, so in reality you have done nothing to actually prove Yoshis island is the better game. I prefer SMW, I think it has better graphics, and better playability and that is my opinion. Listing all the reasons YOU prefer YI is pointless because I am not all of a sudden going to agree with you just because you told me all the reasons you like Yoshis island, which is in fact, all you have done.
Well, isn't everything an opinion? :wink:

I think YI is the better game while you think SMW is the better game. That's fair enough for both of us. :wink:

Difference is only I provided concrete answers as to why I think it's the better game.

User avatar
Sephiroth81
Posts: 4568
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:35 pm

Re: Your one favourite game. Any format. Ever.

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:29 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote: All based on opinions, so in reality you have done nothing to actually prove Yoshis island is the better game. I prefer SMW, I think it has better graphics, and better playability and that is my opinion. Listing all the reasons YOU prefer YI is pointless because I am not all of a sudden going to agree with you just because you told me all the reasons you like Yoshis island, which is in fact, all you have done.
Well, isn't everything an opinion? :wink:

I think YI is the better game while you think SMW is the better game. That's fair enough for both of us. :wink:

Difference is only I provided concrete answers as to why I think it's the better game.
No, you pointed out technical superiorities of a 1996(?) game over one from 1990/1, not at why its a better game though.

I prefer Super Mario World - I just prefer the way it plays, the way it looks (its styling), and the way it makes me feel. I can see that YI has some technical enhancements, just as Donkey Kong Country does as well - doesn't make them better videogames. Just as it doesn't make any big budget hollywood remake, better than an old classic.

Both are great games, but I'm with the Super Mario World club. Mario World is technically an advancement over Super Mario Bros 3, but i wouldn't suggest anyone would be wrong to prefer SMB3 over SMW, as I can see merits in both and both are pure works of genius. However, putting opinion to one side, you'd be hard pushed to argue that the platform game on the PS1 "Iznogoud" is better than Mario World.

Sometimes opinions can just be wrong!

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 4:16 pm

Re: Your one favourite game. Any format. Ever.

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:34 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote: All based on opinions, so in reality you have done nothing to actually prove Yoshis island is the better game. I prefer SMW, I think it has better graphics, and better playability and that is my opinion. Listing all the reasons YOU prefer YI is pointless because I am not all of a sudden going to agree with you just because you told me all the reasons you like Yoshis island, which is in fact, all you have done.
Well, isn't everything an opinion? :wink:

I think YI is the better game while you think SMW is the better game. That's fair enough for both of us. :wink:

Difference is only I provided concrete answers as to why I think it's the better game.

I don't need to provide concrete answers as to why its a better game, its enough that I think it is. I have 0 need to justify or validate my preference to you. Sorry.

And besides that, I do believe I actually did mention I preffered the look and playabilty of SMW. So there you go. Plus you said there was no denying the better artistic style of YI, therefore trying to pass your opinion of as fact and saying that no-one was allowed to deny this viewpoint.
Last edited by RodimusPrime on Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
outdated_gamer
Posts: 2597
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:14 pm

Re: Your one favourite game. Any format. Ever.

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:35 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote: All based on opinions, so in reality you have done nothing to actually prove Yoshis island is the better game. I prefer SMW, I think it has better graphics, and better playability and that is my opinion. Listing all the reasons YOU prefer YI is pointless because I am not all of a sudden going to agree with you just because you told me all the reasons you like Yoshis island, which is in fact, all you have done.
Well, isn't everything an opinion? :wink:

I think YI is the better game while you think SMW is the better game. That's fair enough for both of us. :wink:

Difference is only I provided concrete answers as to why I think it's the better game.
No, you pointed out technical superiorities of a 1996(?) game over one from 1990/1, not at why its a better game though.

I prefer Super Mario World - I just prefer the way it plays, the way it looks (its styling), and the way it makes me feel. I can see that YI has some technical enhancements, just as Donkey Kong Country does as well - doesn't make them better videogames. Just as it doesn't make any big budget hollywood remake, better than an old classic.

Both are great games, but I'm with the Super Mario World club. Mario World is technically an advancement over Super Mario Bros 3, but i wouldn't suggest anyone would be wrong to prefer SMB3 over SMW, as I can see merits in both and both are pure works of genius. However, putting opinion to one side, you'd be hard pushed to argue that the platform game on the PS1 "Iznogoud" is better than Mario World.

Sometimes opinions can just be wrong!
How can a subjective opinion about which game is better be wrong? :wink:

I consider SMB.3 to be better than SMW too. :wink:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests