Your one favourite game. Any format. Ever.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

ncf1

Your one favourite game. Any format. Ever.

Post by ncf1 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:25 am

Yes, this is a cruel, cruel question. But I am curious. You have a gun put to your head, and you have to name your ONE favourite game, ever, from any computer system or console, handheld, arcade, whatever, any era, any genre. One game that pips the others to the post that you might favour just a bit more than all the others.

I'm really curious as to whether most people's choices would be a newer or older game, and what system it is from, or what genre might stand above others in terms of favouritism.

Mine would have to be Resident Evil 4 simply because Ive beaten it so many times yet will still come back to it, almost a decade on. And yes, I did simulate this experiment by holding a gun to my head and sweating profusely before finally submitting my response*

*no I didn't.

markopoloman

Re: Your one favourite game. Any format. Ever.

Post by markopoloman » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:34 am

That gun really hurts when pushed hard against the side of my head!

I didn't have to think too hard though....

Total Annihilation (PC) - I just love it. I can't stop playing it. Awesome graphics, sound and gameplay. The best RTS ever created.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:03 am

That's an evil question. But today, for whatever reason, it would be The Last of Us.

Eat your nans pants

Mentski

Post by Mentski » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:47 am

Streets of Rage 2. Boosh.

No question about it.
A beard with an idiot hanging off it, Writes about videogames when the apathy isn't kicking in.
http://www.rosetintedgamers.com - http://www.youtube.com/mentski

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:53 am

GP2 - PC. A game I ploughed countless hours into. The subtle skills required to shave fractions of seconds off. The thrill of an overtake, rather following another driver for several laps.

Upon realise, this game was simply sensational and quite possibly the most game changing game of all time, it was so far ahead of anything else out there.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Kilb

Post by Kilb » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:58 am

Avalon by Steve Turner on the Speccy.
All the stars were correctly aligned when I played this game. The music (I know), the graphics, the control/menu system, the setting. It all just clicked for me.
I was one of those pen and paper role players at the time, heavily influenced by British Myths.
I never, ever completed it (and didn't even come close).
For me it was the zenith of pure computer gaming, and one I look back to fondly.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:02 am

Tough Q, of course. I think with a gun to the head...I would say the Doom/Doom 2 PS1. Can't think of one I loved more than that. Unless we include arcade machines to confuse the issue more! :wink:

Nope, has to be Doom then, although it's hard to stick to one

playzooki

Post by playzooki » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:04 am

Robot arena 2 (PC) - Its an obscure game, but very good. Its themed around shows like Robot Wars and Battlebots, which i am a fan of. Its got amazing customization, and isvery moddable. I recommend it for anybody who ever saw robot wars or battlebots, and my favourite mod is DSL 2.1 A good websitefor the game is gametechmods.com. People host tournaments for it and the best thung? Its abandonware, so its free.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:33 am

Tough question, but I would have to say Super Mario Kart on the SNES. The game has the perfect balance, infinite replayability (still playing it in 2014, 22 years after its release) and is a wonderful party/multiplayer game. The controls are so tight and feel absolutely perfect (unless perhaps you use Yoshi or Princess!), sliding around Ghost Valley 1 at full pelt for me has never been matched in any game.

Nintendo never managed to re-capture the gameplay in their sequels to SMK (all have been worth playing though).

I urge anyone who's not played this game yet (a rarity), to download it for the Virtual Console*, and with a couple of classic controllers and a mate, spend a few hours on. It will blow you away.

*or buy the actual game, or get the ROM....etc

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:02 am

Doom. It's a perfect game. It's one of the only perfect games. It is responsible for modern gaming IMO.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:12 am

Very tough vote, got so many favourites, Commando, Star Wars, Quake II, GTA Vice City, Madden, C&C Red Alert, but my vote has to go to...

Doom

Agree with Koops. This game blew me away when i first saw it, much more than any other 'blow me away games' (Eg Knight Lore, GTA). When i first saw Doom it seemed like a movie. Remember going round my mates to see him play it on his old 66 mhz PC, just incredible back then and lots of jump out moments.

I got into PC gaming a bit later so i missed out on Wolfenstein. So Doom was my first real look at PC gaming. Still loving playing it to this day, a classic

Combo-Breaker

Post by Combo-Breaker » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:13 am

SF II Championship Edition.

NOTHING has gave me a buzz like when this hit the Arcades back in the day.

My favourite game ever; and it probably always will be.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:50 am

Not such a hard question. Super Mario World (SNES) - totally awesome game and endlessly expandable with Lunar Magic.

ivortheinjun

Post by ivortheinjun » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:35 pm

The original Link's Awakening on the Game Boy.

Gaming with soul.

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:49 pm

Cliched answer I know, but for me it's Final Fantasy 7 on PS1. The gameplay was so immersive and every time I play through I find something new.

Honorable mentions to Super Mario World, Symphony of the Night, Ocarina of Time, Super Metroid and Shadow of the Colossus.
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.