Cheats!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

NickThorpe

Cheats!

Post by NickThorpe » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:09 am

It's something that tends to be forgotten, especially now that companies have realised that they can sell extra costumes and items as DLC, but cheating has always been a big part of our gaming lives. What are your favourites from over the years?

Also, were you ever suckered in by any of the infamous fake cheats out there?

spike_pkh

Re: Cheats!

Post by spike_pkh » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:12 am

I always said to myself i wouldnt use cheats on games until i had completed them or it would ruin the fun. Sadly as the years passed the amount of games i have time to complete has dwindled a bit. but still dont use cheats now.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:04 am

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I did write it on the wall of The Lass on the closing down party, it didnt do anything

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:10 am

I might use cheats once I've completed a game, but it all depends on what the cheat is. Sometimes if I really struggled with a game I might have used a code for extra lives - Contra and The Addams Family spring to mind for that. But usually I wouldn't use "game killer" cheats like invincibility or unlimited ammo.

But what about hidden areas full of power ups such as below the final staircase before Dracula in Super Castlevania 4 - is that a cheat or just evening out the challenge? Or maybe a glitch in the game like in Faxanadu on NES where you can go back to the king when you run out of money to get 1500 gold for free? How about items such as the Crissaegrim from Symphony of the Night which just make the game too easy (the first playthrough I did of this game I got this item almost immediately, without knowing about it to look for it). And I've seen speed runs of games such as Metroid where the environment is manipulated in one way or another to access areas and items earlier than intended. Do you count these as cheating?

And I do remember that the level select code from Tomb Raider made Lara explode in Tomb Raider 2!
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:01 am

The classic level select code from that game with the blue hedgehog... What was his name again?

Up, Down, Left, Right, A + Start

I was much more partial to using the debug code though as I loved the havoc that would ensue as you printed as many Piranha badniks as possible causing the game to grind to a near halt as you then proceed to kill em all! :twisted:

Up, C, Down, C, Left, C, Right, C, A + Start

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:04 am

IDDQD.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:18 am

Most games by the Oliver twins - 6+A+P

Theme Park (SNES) - Password : TH.L.RCH.....
Where logic won't work, I will

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:26 pm

Has to be on the SNES, Street Fighter 2's cheat code during the Capcom logo to be able to use the "Champion" colours and also fight against the same character.

Down, R, Up, L, y, b, x, a.

You hear a chime, and the intro page turns blue! You're there!

Also, in Super Cars on the Amiga, if your name happened to be "Rich", you were going to always find it an easy game :D

ZeroCipher

Post by ZeroCipher » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:04 pm

Striker THREESHREDDEDWHEAT

always made a good high scoring game between friends
Check my radio show every Tuesday 11pm (GMT) on TotalRock.com & every Saturday 8pm ET on FullFreqRadio.com & 11pm EST on TheMixx.FM also via the TuneIn App. On Demand www.mixcloud.com/djforcex

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:36 pm

DULLARD MK blood code (MD) I also remember trying to get the fake super fatality SNES code to work (ONM April fools) and trying to get the play as Goro code to work on the Game Boy - never could. Apparently that ones genuine though.

sebadude

Post by sebadude » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:28 pm

The cheat mode for the fantastic Creatures 2 on the C64 required you to wet your finger and rub it on the unused joystick port for a minute or so... and I'm not even joking! Was scary, but worth it when it worked! They'd never do anything like that these days :)

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:20 pm

Shift and G on Kung Fu Master on the C64, gave you a gun to blow away the bad guys! only worked on level 1 though sadly.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:15 pm

Some of the cheats for Alien Breed on the Amiga, I'm not sure how they got away with the wording on them.
Checking my little blue book you log on to the intex computer on level two then type in some of the following codes:

MANCHESTER UNITED CANT FLY AIRPLANES - level 6
I EAT PITBULLS FOR F**KING BREAKFAST MATE - player one gets 7 lives
ALIENS ARE F***OTS - unlimited health

I censored the cheats here for obvious reasons.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:22 pm

A B B A C A B B :wink:

Although I didn't actually have MK on the MD as I played the "wimpy" SNES version (didn't have a PC back then to enjoy the best home port). :wink:

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:09 am

Used to enjoy accessing the cheats menu in Medievil to get all weapons and also to replenish everything for free.

Also, some of the crazy cheats in Driver such as having the car on stilts (utterly useless when corners were involved), the display upside-down etc. The invincibility code was pretty much standard if you wanted to enjoy the 'Take a Ride' mode for any length of time.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.