Why did the Game Boy "kill" the competition?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

outdated_gamer

Re: Why did the Game Boy "kill" the competition?

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:34 pm

Lost Dragon wrote::? Is'nt there a bit of a side-story to GB Tetris?

Home computer rights to Tetris going to Andromeda who divided them between Spectrum Holobyte and Mirrorsoft, Mirrorsoft then selling USA Coin-Op rights to Atari and Jap.Coin-Op rights to Sega etc.Nintendo realising that console rights, technically remained up for grabs and thought Tetris would be an ideal 'Killer-App' for GB and signed a deal?.

Atari then priduced a NES version of Tetris (under the Tengen label) and was sued, Atari defending itself in court by claiming NES was in reality a home computer as Nintendo had said it'd be bringing a keyboard and disk drive out for the NES, Nintendo countering NES was nothing but a console.Nintendo winning...

Atari then forced to warehouse then destroy it's version of the game, some 263,000 carts.

Or is this just another urban myth?
Dunno. What I heard was that some Dutch business man saw the appeal the "Soviet block game" had and sold the rights for it to Nintendo who then made the highly successful Game Boy and NES versions (there was also the un-official Tengen version for the NES). But the copy rights for the game were somewhat problematic since technically there were no copy rights in the former Soviet Union and the original author (i.e. Alexey Pajitnov) didn't see a dime from it. :wink:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:20 pm

Has anyone watched Tetris: From Russia With Love lately? That might cover those shenanigans if they happened. I've not seen it since it first aired so I forget how much detail it went into.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:44 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:Here's some of those hilarious Sega's old commercials which you might have already seen but they're worth looking again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cieXjddmpUY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVQ1fP7dNEE

And here's Game Boy's "evil twin" and it's box, sadly never released in Europe:

All three deceased challengers:

And a few other, later "pretenders to the throne":

Plus some "small fishes" that tried to ride on GB's success (I remember wanting one of those :P ):

:? Swear i once heard there was a TV Tuner for the Supervision, but US only, but on that screen? yikes.Also, rumour went Atari was looking into TV Tuner for Lynx.....

Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:49 pm

For me as a kid it was purely the games. When you have Nintendo, Capcom and Konami supporting it you can't fail. The battery life was also just as important. As a kid the Gamegear was only really useful if you were at home within 2 meters of a plug socket which sorta defeats the object of a 'mobile handheld'
My Arcade Videogame Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:11 am

Ref Neo-Geo Pocket:Saw a picture of a 'SNK Neogeo Pocket Wireless Communication Unit' that allowed upto 63 other players link up, via radio-waves.

Was this ever released? and if so..Japan only? and which games used it.

Sounded bloody smart!.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:59 pm

http://ultimateconsoledatabase.com/portables/bingo.htm

Don't think this ever made it out, not that the N-Gage needed any competition...

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:24 pm

Lost Dragon wrote:Ref Neo-Geo Pocket:Saw a picture of a 'SNK Neogeo Pocket Wireless Communication Unit' that allowed upto 63 other players link up, via radio-waves.

Sounded bloody smart!.
It was designed to be used with Dive Alert, for 64-player submarine battles (wow!).

Think I've got nearly every handheld that's been made now, save for the PC-Engine GT, Microvision, N-Gage, 3DS and Vita.

There's a fair amount of playable, even "fun" games on the Gamate, Portable Game Master, Mega Duck and Supervision, but none of them could ever realistically have beaten the Game Boy (although I prefer the Supervision's Block Buster to the Game Boy's Tetris).
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:36 pm

Lost Dragon wrote:Ref Neo-Geo Pocket:Saw a picture of a 'SNK Neogeo Pocket Wireless Communication Unit' that allowed upto 63 other players link up, via radio-waves.

Yeah, it was released, I've got one on my shelf. As far as I can tell, it just replaced the standard link-up cable for most games, although using it could confer bonus cards from using it in Card Fighter Clash 2.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:30 pm

:D @Mayhem and 2Headedboy:see, now this is why i love this forum.You ask a question on something rather niche and get a polite, informative answer pronto.

64 player submarine battles on a colour handheld less powerful than a PSP and here's modern gaming sticking it to us with 6 VS 6 players on flagship console titles.... :wink:

Thanks for the info guys, very much appreciated.