Why did the Game Boy "kill" the competition?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

koopa42

Re: Why did the Game Boy "kill" the competition?

Post by koopa42 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:46 am

What are you all gauging it all on? I just wiki'd NES/SMS and if it's on sales? The NES looks to have destroyed the SMS but for me? I've never owned or wanted a NES, I think they are chaff .... however I like the SMS and have owned several and still play SMS games via emulation so for me? The SMS crushed the NES? It's all down to opinion.

The same with the GB, I've owned 2 ...... and only ever played (or wanted to play) Tetris on them but I have hammered the Lynx and GG because I much prefer the ...... that's right .... you guessed it ....... GAMES!!!! the reason I buy any console ..... well except for the XO which has about 3 games LOL

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:08 am

Easy, as others have said, battery life and games. Plus your mates all seemed to have Gameboys so you could swap/borrow games easily

The library of games were far superior. To me it was a bit like the 8 bit battles, on paper the C64 was 'technically' better with better sound and more colourful graphics, but if all your mates had a Speccy then you went that way. Same for the Gameboy, i personally knew tons of people who had a gameboy, one kid had a Lynx

I tried the Lynx, wasnt a fan of that crazy wide long design, games may have had colour but they were 'so so' and the Gameboy arrived with two killer titles, Tetris and Super Mario Land. Easy win there for Nintendo.

Years later i'm sure people analyse it to say how great the Lynx was technically but again its a case of Betamax vs VHS, Betamax was better than VHS but no one cared as everyone had VHS. Same for the Gameboy, a great huge set of games just won the war, well wasnt even a war, the Gameboy was the clear winner.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:08 am

I won a Gameboy in a Quavers competition.

For that alone ill always love it... Even if I did stupidly give it away.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:11 am

psj3809 wrote: the Gameboy was the clear winner.
Not to me though and I'm certainly not a fanboy of any of the others either, I just prefer (and always have) the Lynx .... and as such is is a clear winner to me.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:19 am

koopa42 wrote:
Not to me though and I'm certainly not a fanboy of any of the others either, I just prefer (and always have) the Lynx .... and as such is is a clear winner to me.
Thats the thing, people are often devoted to the machines they had as a kid, even in 'best 8 bit computer' polls there'll be the odd vote for the BBC/Amstrad.

Did your mates have gameboys or lynx's ? Just curious.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:24 am

I had all three (not rich, just obsessed with handhelds)

The Lynx was far far superior to the other two.

Anyone who played Awesome Golf, Chips Challenge, Blue Lightening, Klax, STUN Runner, Xenophobe, Roadblasters & Ninja Gaiden and then said the monochrome mariofest is better is a big fat fibber.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:52 am

Pokèmon helped too. As for the Lynx I just wish it had s bigger screen.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:34 am

the_hawk wrote:I had all three (not rich, just obsessed with handhelds)

Anyone who played Awesome Golf, Chips Challenge, Blue Lightening, Klax, STUN Runner, Xenophobe, Roadblasters & Ninja Gaiden and then said the monochrome mariofest is better is a big fat fibber.
They're better looking for sure, but I wouldn't say that they play any better than the best GB games and there's a heck of a lot more of those.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:48 am

Matt_B wrote:

They're better looking for sure, but I wouldn't say that they play any better than the best GB games and there's a heck of a lot more of those.
Lynx played host to some stunning arcade conversions plus original titles like Dracula, but did the GB have more games that were designed for quick bursts/handheld play?.

Only ask as i've never bought more than a mere handful of titles for my GB.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:51 am

That's a point, how much did each cost back in the day? I bet the Lynx cost a fortune, compared to the GameBoy anyway.

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:27 am

The Laird wrote:
SpockIOM wrote:. And the GameGear was, basically, a portable Master System. Now, I loved the Master System and I think there are some incredible games in its library. The problems I see were that a) it had already lost it's race vs the NES which was competing strongly against the mega Drive,
In the US yes, certainly not in Europe and definitely not in the UK where the Master System outsold the NES by nearly 4:1.
SpockIOM wrote:and b) there weren't enough unique games available for it to make the expense justified for those who already had the SMS, whereas the GameBoy was producing games that you had to have a GameBoy to play (until the SGB came out, of course).
Funny you say this because one of the key criticisms leveled at the Game Gear back in the day was that "it was just a portable Master System". This was reflected by the mediocre sales in the UK/Europe where a lot of people already owned a Master System and had no wish to play the same games all over again on another system with a terrible screen. On the flip side the Game Gear sold really well in the US, where the Master System had bombed because to them all these games were new and most were totally unaware of the SMS versions.

The Game Boy won because of 2 things - battery life (most important) and secondly games, Nintendo had by far the best support.
Re your reply to point a I'm not so sure. When I was younger (I started playing games 1989/90ish) the most popular systems seemed to be NES and Commodore 64. I knew a few people with Master Systems, but nowhere near as many as the other 2. I suppose these could've been the kids who got the Mega Drive when it came out, but like I said nobody really talked about the Master System anywhere near as much. Maybe in the mid-late 80s what you said was true, but in my experience I always saw SMS brushed aside by NES.
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:33 am

c0nfu53d wrote:Pokèmon helped too. As for the Lynx I just wish it had s bigger screen.
Thing is, Pokemon didn't come out for quite some time until things for the Game Boy were slowing down. It did give the Game Boys life-span one heck of a jumpstart though and kept it in circulation for a few more years.

Personally, I love the Game Boy - battery life & gameplay are the 2 biggest reasons for me. There's no point to a handheld console if you're carrying round a bandolier of batteries just to keep it running for a journey.

Yes, the technology was there in the early 90s for full colour handhelds, but the technology at the time had a massively detrimental effect on power consumption and the lifespan of batteries at the time. Nintendo simply waited for the technology to evolve to the point where it wouldn't be such a massive drain on batteries before moving on, while keeping the unit costs low enough to be affordable to the widest possible audience.
Where logic won't work, I will

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:33 am

Lost Dragon wrote:
Matt_B wrote:

Lynx played host to some stunning arcade conversions plus original titles like Dracula, but did the GB have more games that were designed for quick bursts/handheld play?.

Only ask as i've never bought more than a mere handful of titles for my GB.
Yes, I'd think that while the GG and Lynx tended to try to re-create the experience of a home console or arcade machine, the better GB games seem much more designed from the ground up for playing on the hop. I'd guess that developers were forced down that route by the rather primitive nature of the hardware, but you could also say that the substantial battery life contributed towards the possibility of games that could be massive time sinks like Pokemon and Link's Awakening.

Still, my main point was that the GB got more of everything. Its catalogue is comparable in size to the NES and SNES, whereas the Lynx has only slightly more games than the Atari 5200. The GG is somewhere in between but, as has been mentioned, rather a lot of those are straight ports of SMS games.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:42 am

I feel like I've gone back in time to 1990!

Either way I preferred the Game Gear. Shinobi, World Class Leaderboard, F1, Columns and Sonic. Lovely stuff.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:59 am

psj3809 wrote:
koopa42 wrote:
Thats the thing, people are often devoted to the machines they had as a kid, even in 'best 8 bit computer' polls there'll be the odd vote for the BBC/Amstrad.

Did your mates have gameboys or lynx's ? Just curious.
Being totally honest? I had a Game Gear (I didn't own a Lynx until years later) and my best mate had a Lynx, one other mate had a GB and that was about it. It was all SMS and/or MDs then Amiga/SNES.

Much like the NES stuff ...... as a kid I never knew anyone who owned a NES until the final year of secondary school, I wagged it once at some pot heads house and he had one LOL and that was the only NES I saw at all.