Why did the Game Boy "kill" the competition?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Lost Dragon

Re: Why did the Game Boy "kill" the competition?

Post by Lost Dragon » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:23 pm

@Antiriad2097:that's great for you 'Townies' we country folk had long bus journey into school, walking to the village was a 2 mile trip, the town 9....them rechargeables would have been little use to us. :lol:

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:42 pm

SpockIOM wrote:. And the GameGear was, basically, a portable Master System. Now, I loved the Master System and I think there are some incredible games in its library. The problems I see were that a) it had already lost it's race vs the NES which was competing strongly against the mega Drive,
In the US yes, certainly not in Europe and definitely not in the UK where the Master System outsold the NES by nearly 4:1.
SpockIOM wrote:and b) there weren't enough unique games available for it to make the expense justified for those who already had the SMS, whereas the GameBoy was producing games that you had to have a GameBoy to play (until the SGB came out, of course).
Funny you say this because one of the key criticisms leveled at the Game Gear back in the day was that "it was just a portable Master System". This was reflected by the mediocre sales in the UK/Europe where a lot of people already owned a Master System and had no wish to play the same games all over again on another system with a terrible screen. On the flip side the Game Gear sold really well in the US, where the Master System had bombed because to them all these games were new and most were totally unaware of the SMS versions.

The Game Boy won because of 2 things - battery life (most important) and secondly games, Nintendo had by far the best support.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:37 pm

Nintendo went into the GB era with the massive support it had from the NES, Sega were mopping up what they could and hadsupport from likes of Acclaim, Infogrames, Titus, Codemasters, Domark, Virgin, activision etc, meanwhile Atari were really struggling, not least to convince publishers they could market/support the Lynx well enough to make it worth backing.

The rival ads were great though, mocking the GB's screen, it just needed a lot more than promised games....

I loved the Lynx, but at times it felt like it should have been in the hands of someone like Sega....

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:37 pm

Here's some of those hilarious Sega's old commercials which you might have already seen but they're worth looking again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cieXjddmpUY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVQ1fP7dNEE

And here's Game Boy's "evil twin" and it's box, sadly never released in Europe:

All three deceased challengers:

And a few other, later "pretenders to the throne":

Plus some "small fishes" that tried to ride on GB's success (I remember wanting one of those :P ):

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:58 pm

The mighty Gameboy had by far the best games and was genuinely portable, the game gear (as has been mentioned) was just a portable version of a machine that was crushed by the NES, the shoddy lynx was portable only for those people with pockets like Guybrush, had a poor battery and average games.

the Gameboy deserved to win, but lets be honest, the competition wasn't really up to much.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:20 pm

Wasn't the GB the first portable on the scene as well.
For me it was battery life, I could not afford big packs of batteries (still can't) first thing I went and bought once I had my GB and Tetris was the power supply regargable battery and Super Mario Land.

I also think the mothersize games library went along way.

Whilst I don't play on my brick anymore, I still play the games pretty much daily on my commute on my GBA SP.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:21 pm

The Laird wrote:The Game Boy won because of 2 things - battery life (most important) and secondly games, Nintendo had by far the best support.
This (in this order).

Also, the Gameboy fit in a blazer pocket - neither the Lynx nor the GameGear could claim that! :lol:

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:30 pm

bensonrad wrote:Wasn't the GB the first portable on the scene as well.
Yes by a few months, Lynx was not far behind.
theantmeister wrote:Also, the Gameboy fit in a blazer pocket - neither the Lynx nor the GameGear could claim that! :lol:
I took my Lynx to school every single day, in my blazer pocket!

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:46 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:Here's some of those hilarious Sega's old commercials which you might have already seen but they're worth looking again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cieXjddmpUY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVQ1fP7dNEE

And here's Game Boy's "evil twin" and it's box, sadly never released in Europe:

All three deceased challengers:

And a few other, later "pretenders to the throne":

Plus some "small fishes" that tried to ride on GB's success (I remember wanting one of those :P ):

I actually loved the NGage more than i did the GB, at least it was powerful, i could see the screen and had games i wanted to play (Pathway To Glory was superb).

Also, to my shame, despite owning 1 for years with handful of games, i've never even switched on my Neo-Geo Pocket Colour. :oops:

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:51 pm

bensonrad wrote:Wasn't the GB the first portable on the scene as well.
For me it was battery life, I could not afford big packs of batteries (still can't) first thing I went and bought once I had my GB and Tetris was the power supply regargable battery and Super Mario Land.

I also think the mothersize games library went along way.

Whilst I don't play on my brick anymore, I still play the games pretty much daily on my commute on my GBA SP.
Think it was, UK at least as i recal various UK software houses/coders talking about GB:

Peter Molyneux-was'nt impressed as whilst he loved idea of a games console that fitted in yer pocket, he did'nt think it fully realised the potential the concept offered.

Bitmap Bros loved it, said Lynx would be no competition.

Andrew Braybrook was impressed, but rather puzzled, as gamers always seemed to demand more power from new hardware, then this primitive little device appears, people go crazy for it, but said maybe it was due to being such an 'oddball' device, it had become so successful...

Special FX comment on sheer number of playable games, how it would go far with Nintendo's muscle behind it etc.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:53 pm

The Laird wrote:I took my Lynx to school every single day, in my blazer pocket!
No way! It was too tall/wide, wasn't it? Or was that only the first version?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:01 am

I guess it depends how's stupid your blazer was. Some of us went to sensible vschools that didn't require fancy dress.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:31 am

The Lynx was the best by a country mile, It's the only one I would happily play now. The Game Gear will always have a place in my heart but it was terribly designed and broke ..... a lot! The Gameboy? As always, it should just be called The Tetrisboy ..... for me anyway, It does have the greatest version of Tetris mind you.

edit:

I missed the whole Turbo Grafix gubbins things but I know they were rated
Last edited by koopa42 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:31 am

It all came down to a number of things, the Gameboy hit the market first, but the battery life and price were the biggest factors even before the games, in the UK the GB was £69, the Lynx was £179 ( yes it was reduced later but the damage and momentium was already done) the GB hit the ground running, games were cheaper on average, and the size was alot smaller, and a year later the software support blew the others away, Nintendo just got it right with the GB.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:35 am

Ahhhh.... Another thread that rewrites history for the NES. If didn't crush the Master System in the UK or Europe... I have no idea where this comes from.

The Gameboy was the right thing at the right time. It's battery life and library helped but sometimes timing plays a massive part.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.