If you could turn one tv show/movie into an 8/16-bit game?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Antiriad2097

Re: If you could turn one tv show/movie into an 8/16-bit gam

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:42 pm

Sel Feena wrote:
ipmarks wrote:Quincy
It's all getting a bit silly now!
Quincy isn't that unreasonable. There's a number of CSI games for PC, most of them aren't doing anything that the ST or Amiga couldn't have done in a similar point n click/puzzle game combo. Ocean or Lucasarts could have made a good turn of it, the latter especially with the humour.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:54 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Sel Feena wrote:
ipmarks wrote:Quincy
It's all getting a bit silly now!
Quincy isn't that unreasonable. There's a number of CSI games for PC, most of them aren't doing anything that the ST or Amiga couldn't have done in a similar point n click/puzzle game combo. Ocean or Lucasarts could have made a good turn of it, the latter especially with the humour.
It was a serious suggestion... I love Quincy, it's my favourite 70's/80's American cop type show. I think a great game could have been made out of it. Either a text adventure, or as Antiriad2097 says a Point and Click... I'm thinking a bit like the Star Trek 25th Anniversary style game. You could be Quincy and have a hunch as to what has happened. Your boss could say 'You're off the case Quincy!', Sam your assistant could do all the hard work, you could take all the credit, and your boss would say 'Thanks Quincy, I'm sorry I doubted you'... although he would again next week. It could be a series of mini episodes.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:04 pm

Swainy wrote:Minder the scrolling beat em up. You control Terry, he has to run around on screen stopping bad guys from hitting Arthur.

There was a Minder game on the Speccy; pretty good too, but it wasn't an action game.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:07 pm

gman72 wrote:How about a text adventure based on Crossroads? Could be fun.
Well, there was The Archers on the 8 bits by Mosaic, so no reason why it couldn't be done. A cross between multiple choice and text adventure, and very well done. I'm sure a crossroads game was planned, but that may be my mind playing tricks. There was a similar style game about Adrian Mole, and that was jolly good fun too, but (same as The Archers) you had to know something about the series to get much enjoyment. Mosaic also produced Yes Prime Minister, which really was exceptional, just like an episode of the tv series, and very well written.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:07 pm

Mootown wrote:Transformers done like StreetFighter II.

In other words Rise of the Robots? :D
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:03 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
Mootown wrote:Transformers done like StreetFighter II.

In other words Rise of the Robots? :D
This thread is about turning something into a 'game' not into a steaming pile of dog poo that is as far from a 'game' as you can get.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:23 am

i would do Knightmare, but this time make it fun http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GoJHWXnrGU

I'd use an Oculus Rift headset for a Virtual blindfold, ha.
Scott me up beamie!

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:28 am

sscott wrote:Dogtanian and the muskahounds, maybe a platformer?
Or a RPG perhaps? Or maybe something like Zelda?
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:16 am

pratty wrote:
sscott wrote:Dogtanian and the muskahounds, maybe a platformer?
Or a RPG perhaps? Or maybe something like Zelda?
Or maybe an episodic linear series of environments with critical dialogue sequences to let you progress from one to the next (but not go back). Then to drag it out, throw in some completely unrelated tedious turn-based fights entirely at random as you walk around. Then pretend it's 'playable'. :lol:

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:19 am

ipmarks wrote:It was a serious suggestion... I love Quincy, it's my favourite 70's/80's American cop type show. I think a great game could have been made out of it. Either a text adventure, or as Antiriad2097 says a Point and Click... I'm thinking a bit like the Star Trek 25th Anniversary style game. You could be Quincy and have a hunch as to what has happened. Your boss could say 'You're off the case Quincy!', Sam your assistant could do all the hard work, you could take all the credit, and your boss would say 'Thanks Quincy, I'm sorry I doubted you'... although he would again next week. It could be a series of mini episodes.
Point-and-click adventure with a steady-hand autopsy sub-game.
And maybe a bonus round based on that scene where he wants to get away but has some students in, so carves up a corpse as quickly as possbible to make them all faint or throw up.

Rockford Files would be easier. You don't need to program a game, you'd just need a really good chiptune version of the opening theme and no-one would ever try to get any further!

(P.S. The midi for The Rockford Files on that page is actually really good - shame it wouldn't let me link to it directly as pretty much all the others listed there are hilariously dreadful)!
Last edited by joefish on Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:27 am

What about a c64 Tuckers Luck, where you have to spray deodorant on your todger plus minigames. Budget title methinks....
Scott me up beamie!

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:37 pm

I really like the sound of a steady hand autopsy sub game Joefish.
Quincy would be a class game.

Vyothric

Post by Vyothric » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:55 pm

I was wondering recently why there wasn't a Cool Runnings game.

Also, a game based on The Raccoons cartoon.
LastFM | Mods | Music | Twitter | YouTube

Zwischen Leere und Nichts

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:10 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Quincy isn't that unreasonable. There's a number of CSI games for PC, most of them aren't doing anything that the ST or Amiga couldn't have done in a similar point n click/puzzle game combo. Ocean or Lucasarts could have made a good turn of it, the latter especially with the humour.
Fair dues! Was there ever a Gladiators game? Seems perfect for some joypad/stick waggling, button mashing minigames.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:37 pm

This thread is hilarious... some frankly brilliant suggestions. :lol:
The Rockford Files, Minder beat-em-up and Tuckers Luck being my faves. Lest we forget they did make games based on Basildon Bond and Supergran and the fact as has been revealed to me that a Crossroads game was planned shows that almost anything is fair game.
I would buy a Quincy game if a still from the bit in the opening credits where he strokes the bikini clad ladies bum on a boat was the loading screen. Pure class.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD