Games you'd like to see as a digital download

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

LAIS

Games you'd like to see as a digital download

Post by LAIS » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:51 am

...That haven't yet been re-released.

There are a number of classic games that seem perfect for PSN, XBLA, Steam or even on Smartphones, but for whatever reason haven't yet been made available as a download. It's very possible some of them will end up getting re-released, but it would be a real shame to see them disappear into the depths of time.

Here's my wants...

* Knuckles Chaotix - Yes reviews were mixed, but I'd like the opportunity to experience it for myself. Since it's never been released outwith its original system the number of people who've actually had the chance to play it is likely quite small. Perhaps that's holding Sega back, I dunno. But then, games like Tails' Adventure have been released for download, which makes the absence of this game pretty baffling to me.

* Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core - Never released as a PSP download, and it's never been converted for PS3/Vita use. That could still happen of course, but Square seem to have quite an odd approach to the download market (and the FFVII franchise come to think of it) so I'm not holding my breath.

* Final Fantasy Type 0 - This one is cheating a little as it was never released here - but it was well received in Japan and I'm under the impression that work did actually start on localisation of this one, only for Square to opt against releasing it over here. But it seems perfect for a download on PS3, Vita and perhaps smartphones and the 3DS too. Surely they wouldn't make a LOSS from releasing it on these shores? Don't understand it at all.

* Shenmue/Shenmue 2 - I'm actually a little surprised Sega haven't put out an HD re-release of this given the current trend for that. But considering a whole range of Dreamcast and Saturn classics have been released as digital downloads, I'm a little surprised this hasn't joined their roster of downloads yet. Surely it's inevitable?

* Curse of Monkey Island - When Lucasarts were putting out digital releases of the original two games, a re-release of this seemed inevitable, but now that its in the hands of Disney I suspect we'll never hear from the Monkey Island franchise again, which is sad.

* Chrono Cross - I love Chrono Trigger, I'd love to try its sequel, and I hope to God Square will one day let me.

* Xenosaga - With the impending release of "X" on the Wii U perhaps there's a slightly better chance we'll see a UK release of this on the digital market. Probably not though :-/

* Disney's The Lion King/Aladdin-I realise I'm going a bit nuts with my list here, but there are so many games I want to see! I don't understand why Disney haven't dipped into their back catalogue of excellent 16 bit movie games and given them digital releases. Surely there's money to be made here?

* Wiz N' Liz - Last but not least. There's probably more chance of Pope Francis becoming the first Pontiff in space than this one getting a second run out. But it gave me hours of fun as a child and I'd love to revisit it on a present-day system.

gman72

Re: Games you'd like to see as a digital download

Post by gman72 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:44 am

Planet Harriers
Zombies Revenge
MGS Twin Snakes.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:35 am

Give me a physical copy of the games any day...
Where logic won't work, I will

rednoggy

Post by rednoggy » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:18 pm

Shenmue would be an instant buy for me. Agree that its strange that sega has not done this yet but you would think its on the way.
Donkey kong 64. Can't remember this coming onto vc yet but would love a second crack at it. Especially if Nintendo HD it up. Same goes Mario 64 and the two N64 Zelda games.
Has any game and watch games been released yet on the 3ds? If not them too, pref on the wii u.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:27 pm

Brutal Sport Football - HD remake and online multiplayer support....that will do me nicely.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:46 pm

gunbladelad wrote:Give me a physical copy of the games any day...
This. My answer is none.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:59 pm

gman72 wrote:Planet Harriers
Zombies Revenge
MGS Twin Snakes.
Damn staight.Own 2 copies of Twin Snakes, but GC looks awful on HDTV so never bother, Planet Harriers never got home conversion (sob) and like a fool, sold my copy of Zombies Revenge when i 1st had a DC.

I'd add System Shock 2, original PC AVP, Xcom 3 to be converted to PSN/XBLA so Ex-PC owners like myself can enjoy again and they be open to people who've never touched a PC for gaming.

You could throw in C+C Red Alert 2, Sacrifice and Dungeon Keeper 2 into the conversion to console/digital release pot as well.

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:10 pm

I've always hoped Power Stone 1&2 would be released on xbla/psn, the online multiplayer would be amazing! why Capcom keep re-releasing all the old 80's arcade stuff over & over and not this amazes me, have they completely forgot about it?

also Micro Machines 2, I would love to see this on xbla :D
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:06 pm

The Laird wrote:
This. My answer is none.

In an ideal world yes, but some games are simply so rare and desirable they're prohibitivly expensive in physical form. Panzer Dragoon Saga for example

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:03 pm

Skies of Arcadia- 2 consoles is not enough, XBLA/PSN/eShop it already!

Knuckles Chaotix- As stated, I just want to be able to play it. Maybe a "Remaster" once Sonic 3 and Knuckles are done?

Nintendo's Arcade games- They love to rerelease their NES catalogue so often, they even gave the Wii its own arcade section, but I'd think they'd make just as much if not more money then their NES rereleases if they had arcade perfect ports. I'm sure those without an arcade machine or DK64 would happily pick up an arcade perfect Donkey Kong.

The Rest of Capcom's Marvel Vs. Games- Though since they had to take some down recently, not likely.

Quackshot and World of Illusion- port or remake like Castle of Illusion. Come on Disney, cash in on all your old classics!

Starfox 2- Just do a littler work or hire someone to do so on the near finished version and boom, new-ish Starfox for the masses to eat up. XD

Sunset Riders- Nearly released on Game Room. Goddamn it Konami, stop holding back this one! I'll happily take the console ports if that's what it takes!
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:09 pm

look at it sideways wrote:* Curse of Monkey Island - When Lucasarts were putting out digital releases of the original two games, a re-release of this seemed inevitable, but now that its in the hands of Disney I suspect we'll never hear from the Monkey Island franchise again, which is sad.
If Disney aren't interested in the franchise (and I can appreciate that they already have a pretty big pirate-themed franchise of their own) I wish they'd just sell it on to Telltale or Double Fine who would do something with it.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:02 am

Negative Creep wrote:
The Laird wrote:
This. My answer is none.

In an ideal world yes, but some games are simply so rare and desirable they're prohibitivly expensive in physical form. Panzer Dragoon Saga for example
Exactly.

And also, it keeps the game alive for new audiences to enjoy. In almost every other industry classics are regularly rereleased, be it in a new edition of a book, a blu-ray release of a classic film or a greatest hits album.

Sometimes this DOES happen in gaming, but I fear a bucket-load of classic games will end up lost to time, and it'll be near impossible for new audiences to enjoy them and understand exactly why they're so good.

ZeroCipher

Post by ZeroCipher » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:53 pm

TheNewMonkey wrote:I've always hoped Power Stone 1&2 would be released on xbla/psn, the online multiplayer would be amazing! why Capcom keep re-releasing all the old 80's arcade stuff over & over and not this amazes me, have they completely forgot about it?

also Micro Machines 2, I would love to see this on xbla :D

Agreed!
Check my radio show every Tuesday 11pm (GMT) on TotalRock.com & every Saturday 8pm ET on FullFreqRadio.com & 11pm EST on TheMixx.FM also via the TuneIn App. On Demand www.mixcloud.com/djforcex

William S

Post by William S » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:39 pm

Full Throttle
ImageImageImage

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:45 pm

The Laird wrote:
This. My answer is none.
This is what I'd say too BUT if we're going with random arcade games that won't get a disc release or just the hypothetical situation that's it's "digital or nothing" then I'd say:

- Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder
- Ninja Baseball Batman
- Alien Vs Predator
(Capcom CPS2 scrolling fighter)
- Violent Storm
- Some sort of arcade-perfect Outrun/Turbo Outrun/Outrunners etc. collection
- English language Snatcher/Policenauts pack
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.