Your top 5 last gen games.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

Re: Your top 5 last gen games.

Post by Megamixer » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:52 pm

In no particular order (and not counting handhelds as I can't bothered working out which handhelds belong to which gen):

Grand Theft Auto V (PS3)
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (PS3)
The Last Story (Wii)
Yakuza 3 (PS3)
Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)

Pretty tough to narrow it down to just five to be honest and there are masses of last gen games sitting unplayed here so who knows what my answer would be in 12 months time.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:29 pm

che_don_john wrote:
themightymartin wrote:Bulletstorm
Glad to see that get a mention, brilliant game. Would love to see a sequel with some kind of competitive co-op throughout.

It would be in my top 20 as opposed to top 5 (should have had a health bar and more than a 2 weapon limit) but it was enormous fun, looked brilliant and contained some rather "unique" forms of swearing. It wassthe gam duke Nukem Forever should have been.

errolwd40

Post by errolwd40 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:30 am

Tough question this, really enjoyed this gen and have no wish for it to end to be honest.

PGR4 on 360
Gears of War original on 360
Motorstorm pacific rift on ps3
Super street fighter 4 on ps3
Fight night round 4 on ps3

A strong mixture of mainly racing and fighting games for me as those are my favourite genre's having grown up in the 80's and 90's. I also really enjoyed the uncharted series (especially 2nd game), killzone 2 (ps3), fifa 10 onwards (ps3), various wwe games and the early call of duty games ( cod 2 - modern warfare 2).

I hope I am wrong but I feel this may be looked back on in years to come as the last of the great generations of gaming.

Flint

Post by Flint » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:32 am

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Never thought I'd play a Mario game that topped Mario 3 but this did, like one of the reviews said it felt like the culmination of a genre (although Tearaway proved that was a little hyperbolic as there are still other directions to take 3D platformers), To me it also felt like the first 3D Mario to feel like a natural progession of the 2D games rather than a seperate series, something Nintendo seem to agree with as they've gone even further in that direction.

2. The World Ends With You - Somehow took a lot of mechanics and ideas that shouldn't work and mixed them together to make something that's more than a sum of it's parts. Bonus points for the NG+ taking the censored out of itself.

3. Wii Sports/Wii Sports Resort - Yes really, finally being able to play a videogame with my grandparents made it great.
4. Spelunky
5. Dark Souls

Honarable mention to Persona 3&4 as they straddled the generations, same with Mother 3.

thebear

Post by thebear » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:41 am

Red Dead Redemption
Skyrim
Geometry Wars
COD 4 MW
Tied (cheating I know) Mass Effect and Uncharted

No order and no doubt you'd get another set of games if asked again tomorrow
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:07 am

Any of the Uncharted games - they're just beautiful, and the exploration and climbing parts are so much fun.

Any of the Batman Arkham games - I love the fighting, it flows so well and is very rewarding when done right. Exploring the city can make hours of your life just disappear.

Guitar Hero 3 - my first experience with Guitar Hero, and I loved it. The song list is right up my street - ROCK!

Dead Space - scared the sh*t out of me. So atmospheric, it filled a void left by recent Resident Evil games.

NBA Jam On Fire Edition - a great update, with lots of added depth. And the commentary is genuinely funny too. I come back to this whenever I have a spare 10 mins to fill.
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

van

Post by van » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:59 am

Super Mario Galaxy
Castlevania Lords of Shadow
Splatterhouse
Mario Kart Wii
God of War 3

These are the 5 I still find myself going back to the most out of last gen.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:45 pm

Left 4 Dead
Puzzle Quest
Resident Evil 5
Bioshock
Street Fighter X Tekken
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer