Your top 5 last gen games.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

crusto

Your top 5 last gen games.

Post by crusto » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:53 pm

It's probably been done before and yes there's still plenty of games being being produced for them, but anyway.

There's been some belters and loads more I would include if I could, but here's mine (no particular order)

1: Demons Souls - Highly challenging, highly rewarding and a brilliant multiplayer system.
2: Dark Souls - See above, add a sugar coating, but substitute some of the challenge with vindictiveness.
3: Uncharted 2 - All kinds of excellent, and the pinnacle of the (PS3) trio imo.
4: Rainbow Six Vegas - Still my favourite online experience overall, great fun. Plus a decent single player campaign too.
5: The last of us - exceptional title of the highest quality. It's like playing an episode of the walking dead in real time.

Eat your nans pants

Edify

Re: Your top 5 last gen games.

Post by Edify » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:16 pm

I've still got a rather substantial back-log to go through but my top five would probably be something like:

Dragon's Dogma
Vanquish
Portal 2
Red Dead Redemption
Fallout New Vegas

My favourite game of the last generation is without a doubt MAG for the PS3 though. I didn't include it in my list because it was online only and I doubt the servers are still up, and if people take the lists in this thread as recommendations then I obviously can't suggest it. However, it's unique combination of close-knit community, large scale but arena-esque combat and hilarious meta-game will be hard to beat for me in this current gen.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:23 pm

CoD 4: Modern Warfare
GTA V
Halo 3
Vanquish
Sleeping Dogs

I'm sure there maybe others I've forgotten that could be on that list instead but the top 2 are definitely there!

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:33 pm

1. Nier
2. Bayonetta
3. Metal Gear Solid 4
4. Last of Us
5. Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:45 pm

1. Super Street Fighter IV AE
2. Bayonetta
3. Gears of War 2
4. Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom
5. Shadow of The Damned

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:47 pm

1 - Dark Souls simply the best game I have ever played
2 - Cod 4 Modern Warfare, the best Cod game of last gen
3 - Uncharted 2 easily the best in this stunning series
4 - The Last Of Us storytelling at it's finest
5 - Dragon Age Origins superb rpg
"Time fades even legend..."

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:58 pm

Couldn't quite get it down to 5... Haven't had a PS3 yet so could possibly change...

Xenoblade Chronicles... 1 billion hours of gameplay, beautiful and imaginative and awesome... my favorite game of last gen

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn... First of the series I played, Spent hours and hours and hours completing this on hard... completely hooked on fire emblem now

Legend of Zelda : Skyward Sword... some had problems with the control... I thought this was the best use of the wiimote yet... added a whole new dimension...

Dark Souls... I love it when a game kicks your ass like this one does... hard but rarely unfair...

Fallout 3... Love fallout series and this was a rare re-imagining that somehow felt just like the original whilst being new and brilliant all on itself...

Xcom: Enemy Unknown... Ditto Fallout3s comment...

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:01 pm

Call Of Duty 2

the rest
Going Solo...................

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:05 pm

1. Skyrim
2. Fallout 3
3. Oblivion
4. Too Human
5. Sacred 2

Usually I add subject to change but I don't think I need to.

Oh, hang on. best PvP game of the last gen? BF2:MC and STILL the best PvP game of all time

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:13 pm

Struggled to order this, but here goes...

5. Super Smash Bros Brawl/Hotline Miami - I wasn't sure if Hotline Miami was something I could count as 'last gen' so I cheated and place it with the superb Brawl. Hotline Miami made me fall in love with indie gaming, and Brawl gave me hours of fun with my Uni flatmates.

4. Xenoblade Chronicles - The best Jrpg since Final Fantasy IX. Outstanding game.

3. The Walking Dead - Probably the best story in a game ever. Absolutely incredible.

2. Pokemon White - the first time ever I actually caught 'em all...I devoted so many hours to this I can't not place it highly.

1. Fallout 3 - I got this at the same time as my flatmate-at-the-time and our experiences were totally different because of where we chose to go. The open ended nature of this game hooked me from the moment I first left the vault to experience the vast bleakness of the capital wasteland. Outstanding.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:19 pm

The Hardest of All Freds wrote:Call Of Duty 2

the rest
Ha ha, I nearly put that in. That was my first online experience, it was a lag fest, but a good crack when it was stable. A good campaign too.

Eat your nans pants

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:16 pm

Ugh... I kind of need two lists here. Retail and XBLA. But at gunpoint I'd say;

1. Chime
2. GRAW2
3. Dead Rising
4. Oblivion
5. GTA V

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:21 pm

1)Demon's Souls. For it's online play and community, the epic boss fights and for being a return to just chatting for hours with friends about the game.Plus the only game on last generation i ever cared for, trophy wise.each one gained was a badge of honour.

2)Mass Effect 2.The pinnicle of the series and has had me replaying numerous times to try and complete, but this time get everyone out alive, god damn it.

3)Blur-Just utter carnage online and the most fun i've had with a racing game for ages.

4)Xcom-hours poured into it, so hoping for Terror From The deep to get same treatment.

5)MGS:Peace Walker.Technically it appeared on a last gen handheld and i re-bought and are pouring hours into my 2nd playthrough on PS3, so i'm having it.I'm currently struggling to see how MGS 5 will come anywhere near it.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:28 pm

01-Taiko Drum Master Wii: DoDon & The 2nd Generation - Only ever played it at events, but it's the best multiplayer game in the world ever. Besides Micro Machines 2, and Joust. Okay, best multiplayer game of the last generation.

02-Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (DS), very rare for me to have the patience for this sort of thing nowadays, so that's an achievement in itself.

03-Red Dead Redemption, been well over a year since I played it, but will someday find the time to go back to it. If I remember, I was doing something in Mexico regarding explosives, can't remember what though. Will probably take me forever to learn the controls again, ah well.

04-Super Stardust Portable (PSP), fancy graphics and score-chasing.

05-Score Rush (Xbox 360), even fancier graphics and score-chasing.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:24 pm

Not easy to get it down to only 5, so I'll cheat and double some up:

Fallout 3/New Vegas
Skyrim/Oblivion
Uncharted 2 (worth owning a PS3 for, imo)
COD Black Ops/COD 4
Dirt 2