Fund manager wants Nintendo

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

killbot

Re: Fund manager wants Nintendo

Post by killbot » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:41 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:it's very clear that a huge swathe of the core market (girls, young children, housewives) for Nintendo have jumped from the wii onto the mobile gaming platforms, they certainly aren't buying into the wii u, so you can see why the big investors in Nintendo want them to chase this "lost" revenue stream.
I think what's clear from looking around online is that there's still massive demand for Nintendo games - it's just that people also want to be able to play their favourite third-party games and are worried that they won't be able to if they buy Nintendo. Which is a valid concern - most third-party games didn't get released on the Wii. Nintendo need to convince buyers that they'll still be able to play Assassin's Creed, GTA, CoD and FIFA if they buy a Ninty console as well as the Nintendo classics. For that they need to mend their relationships with the third-parties (though AC and CoD both got a Wii U release this year so things can't be as bad as all that).

How do they go about doing that? Well, that's for Iwata to work out. That's why he gets paid the big bucks.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:45 am

killbot wrote:
stvd wrote:
psj3809 wrote:some people arent keen on mobile gaming so they'll come out with the controls argument.
Not true. I'd love to be able to play classic games on a mobile device but, IMO, touch screens aren't up to it. It may be that I need to persevere and get better at it but it doesn't seem worth the effort. Holding direction+run+jump on Super Mario on a touch screen is terrible. Maybe certain platformers are suited to it but some of my favourites (chuckie egg, manic miner, donkey kong) are virtually impossible. Anything that needs any sort of precision movement/jumping doesn't work. For me at least.
For me, the finger-dexterity required to play Super Mario Brothers well demands a physical d-pad and buttons. It would be incredibly hard without them. I might be in a minority on that, but there it is.
I'm in that minority with you pair , i just need physical controls each and everytime.

Mobile gaming i've nothing again'st, it's just not suited to my personal requirements.

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:48 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:it's very clear that a huge swathe of the core market (girls, young children, housewives) for Nintendo have jumped from the wii onto the mobile gaming platforms, they certainly aren't buying into the wii u, so you can see why the big investors in Nintendo want them to chase this "lost" revenue stream.
Its not just a problem for nintendo though is it? despite large console sales, game sales are in decline across the board due to mobile phone games... it seems that the core market (socially awkward teens, hugely obese 40 year old virgins who still live with their mothers, people who only buy a console to play GTA) of the other two are starting to pack it in for phone gaming too... You seem happy that nintendo should pack in consoles and make mobile games, would you be happy if the other two quit making consoles and mobile gaming was the only way to play?

merman

Post by merman » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:15 am

These are the same analysts who think Apple is doing badly when it sells 30m iPhones in 3 months, so I wouldn't pay much attention to them.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:44 am

sirpigmeat wrote:
Its not just a problem for nintendo though is it? despite large console sales, game sales are in decline across the board due to mobile phone games... it seems that the core market (socially awkward teens, hugely obese 40 year old virgins who still live with their mothers, people who only buy a console to play GTA) of the other two are starting to pack it in for phone gaming too... You seem happy that nintendo should pack in consoles and make mobile games, would you be happy if the other two quit making consoles and mobile gaming was the only way to play?

Sorry, but that " core market " stereotype you have just wheeled out is completely out of date and has been disproven several times.

I mean really, just how many 40 year old virgins who live at home with their mother do you know. I have a large circle of friends who play games who are all married with kids and I have worked in several places in the last few years where a large majority play games and none of those fit that description.

as for socially awkward teens, sorry but I think you will find most teens play games now, whether socially awkward or not.

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:12 am

sirpigmeat wrote:
Chiptune...is that you??...

I dont think mobile gaming has anything to do with a decline in console gaming, if its in decline at all. Reason being you cant get console type games on mobile devices bar the odd exception here and there, if people want to play a big game, either single player or multiplayer, then it'll be on a console or PC.

If there is a decline then i'd put it down more to do with the constant rinsing of customers for more money after paying a large amount of money for a game upfront. Also alot of people are jumping over to the PC last few years.

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:16 am

RodimusPrime wrote:
sirpigmeat wrote:

Sorry, but that " core market " stereotype you have just wheeled out is completely out of date and has been disproven several times.

I mean really, just how many 40 year old virgins who live at home with their mother do you know. I have a large circle of friends who play games who are all married with kids and I have worked in several places in the last few years where a large majority play games and none of those fit that description.

as for socially awkward teens, sorry but I think you will find most teens play games now, whether socially awkward or not.
I didn't mean gamers in general I meant xbox/ps4 players and it wasn't meant to be taken seriously, It was more of a comeback to HD00's obvious slating of Nintendos "core market"... I find theirs a ill-conceived idea that somehow everyone who buys a PS4 or Xbox is a "Hardcore" gamer and all Nintendo buyers our "casual" or whatever... And that somehow a full-grown man who only buys a PS3 for GTA is more "Hardcore" than a 12 year old who digs mario... theirs just as many casual gamers on all consoles, just different breeds...

I also don't understand why HD00 keeps getting so hard in the pants over Nintendo's troubles... did Miyamoto run over his dog when he a kid?

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:21 am

retrosofer wrote:
sirpigmeat wrote:
Chiptune...is that you??...

I dont think mobile gaming has anything to do with a decline in console gaming, if its in decline at all. Reason being you cant get console type games on mobile devices bar the odd exception here and there, if people want to play a big game, either single player or multiplayer, then it'll be on a console or PC.

If there is a decline then i'd put it down more to do with the constant rinsing of customers for more money after paying a large amount of money for a game upfront. Also alot of people are jumping over to the PC last few years.
I wish my name was Chiptune, thats pretty cool :D

I personally don't think mobile phone gaming is going to destroy console gaming, but if you believe the analysts about Nintendo you have to buy what they say about gaming in general...

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:30 am

From my 'Social Circle' over past few years i've noticed a lot of PC gamers buy a console as a 2nd machine, for the exclusives, currently seen a few guys snap up cheap 360's and PS3's just to play GTA 5 now, others bought the Wii U as it offered something different.

Sure a few will joke at the hardware specs and lot of light hearted 'My PC was doing this years ago...' type comments (HD gaming), but in case of Wii U, most are in all seriousness just wondering how Nintendo managed to get things so wrong as it were and are pretty floored to hear of a Nintendo console selling so badly.

These guys are like myself, 40+, grew up with the SNES etc, they've not really returned to the Nintendo fold until now, but concept of a Nintendo console 'failing' at retail is alien to them.

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:34 am

sirpigmeat wrote:I wish my name was Chiptune, thats pretty cool :D

I personally don't think mobile phone gaming is going to destroy console gaming, but if you believe the analysts about Nintendo you have to buy what they say about gaming in general...

I honestly dont believe anything or even listen to what analysts say, they are full of crap especially when it comes to Nintendo, just how and why they get paid for what they do is beyond me, most people on this forum could do a better job.

Take Michael Pachter for instance, he suggested that Nintendo should drop the WiiU as soon as possibe and release another console :roll: . Stupid idea if ever I heard one, does he not remember what happened to Sega.

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:51 am

retrosofer wrote:
sirpigmeat wrote:I wish my name was Chiptune, thats pretty cool :D

I honestly dont believe anything or even listen to what analysts say, they are full of crap especially when it comes to Nintendo, just how and why they get paid for what they do is beyond me, most people on this forum could do a better job.

Take Michael Pachter for instance, he suggested that Nintendo should drop the WiiU as soon as possibe and release another console :roll: . Stupid idea if ever I heard one, does he not remember what happened to Sega.
I didn't mean you believe in it... I meant if people in general believe in one they have to believe in the other...

Analysts get a line graph of actual statistics, then they take a ruler and draw a made up line that follows the last direction the graph was heading in and say "see this is in decline/ascent/stagnation"

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:22 pm

sirpigmeat wrote:Analysts get a line graph of actual statistics, then they take a ruler and draw a made up line that follows the last direction the graph was heading in and say "see this is in decline/ascent/stagnation"
It's a little bit more sophisticated than that, but yes; they're basically just crunching numbers in order to make predictions. That's a useful service for companies that may need to know how many units to produce over a given period, or when would be the most effective time to make a price cut, but it's not like it gives them any great insight into business strategy.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:38 pm

stvd wrote:
psj3809 wrote:some people arent keen on mobile gaming so they'll come out with the controls argument.
Not true. I'd love to be able to play classic games on a mobile device but, IMO, touch screens aren't up to it. It may be that I need to persevere and get better at it but it doesn't seem worth the effort. Holding direction+run+jump on Super Mario on a touch screen is terrible. Maybe certain platformers are suited to it but some of my favourites (chuckie egg, manic miner, donkey kong) are virtually impossible. Anything that needs any sort of precision movement/jumping doesn't work. For me at least.
Very much this, I find touch screen controls awful for most games....

A Mario themed candy crush saga must be a temptation for ninty.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:43 pm

dste wrote:I was just looking for a relevant thread to post this in.

The key points for me were:

"Just think of paying 99 cents just to get Mario to jump a little higher.

"The same people who spent hours playing Super Mario, Donkey Kong, and Legend of Zelda as children are now a demographic whose engagement on the smartphone is valued by the market at well over $100bn," he added.

How about no and f**k off.
I think this perfectly sums up what I feel about those two quotes. I've got nothing against Nintendo doing mobile versions of some of their games (as long as priority for new projects is still given to full-scale console releases) but it would sad to see them go down the micro transaction route.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:06 pm

Spot on RodimusPrime