Voice acting that spoiled a game for you

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

PaulEMoz

Re: Voice acting that spoiled a game for you

Post by PaulEMoz » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:19 pm

The voice acting in Trouble Witches NEO! is fantastically bad. It creases me up when I play it, so I guess that example doesn't count! :lol:

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:26 pm

Bagman and Brucie off GTA V

Some stereotype black man who nobody can understand him when he speaks.. Not sure if his name even is Bagman that's what it sounds like

Brucie some Roid head "Genetically different"

Whoever voiced Vader on Rebel Assault 2.. Supposed to be one of the most powerful Sith Lords in history they sounded like a Raging Homosexual

Teepo and Elise off Tales of Xillia I hate Teepo's voice with a Vengeance
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:13 am

Surprisingly, he's an 'official' Vader
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Scott_Lawrence
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:59 am

The voice acting in Shenmue was pretty good apart from Shenmue, who replied to other charachters impassioned dialogue with the most sullen monotone voice ever... "I love you Shenmue I want to have your babies" , "Ok", "My parents were murdered and Im so miserable I may go and kill myself", "I see.."...

I switched Bravely Default to Japanese voice acting... much nicer.

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:12 am

Patrick b@stard Stewart doing the voiceovers in that recent 360/PS3 Castlevania game, that stupid, overblown 'Shakespearean' thang he always, ALWAYS does, his voice in that game makes me nauseated, only there to add a faux 'gravitas' to a series of games I don't readily associate with the bald b0ll0cker, nor want to. Irked me, it did, stole atmos from the game, would much prefer to read the text myself, or at least hear P.S. chat in his native West Yorkshire twang...y'never hear that though!

Deep Fear on Saturn has TERRIBLE voice acting.. but it goes with the game. Such mincing, stilted, inappropriate campery totally robs it of scares or brooding terror yet somehow it improves a *very* mediocre game...it's bumtastic.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:20 am

Sonic - 'nuff said, I think.

TD Overdrive - Robert Llewellyn, what were you smoking the day you told your agent you'd take the gig?

Ace Golf - brilliant but the caddies... AAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:13 am

Even though i liked the entire episoded series Clementines voice used to irritate me to shreds, it was like a man trying to do a high pitched kids voice badly.

also GEX. on the 3DO.

Kilb

Post by Kilb » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:16 am

Every Western/European RPG where an American voice actor (I'm using that term loosely) attempts to speak with a
generic English accent.
Even worse when they speak in their native tongue.

Fallout 3's annoying children as well. Oh, oh how I wanted to shoot them all...(Although that could be down to my mental instability)

And while I'm venting my spleen. Those ruddy Orcs/Goblins in Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings/Hobbit films.
Mockney does not make a good villain accent.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:22 am

Nights: Journey into dreams on the Wii would have been an immensely better game if the characters didn't talk.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:27 am

JazzFunk wrote:Patrick b@stard Stewart doing the voiceovers in that recent 360/PS3 Castlevania game, that stupid, overblown 'Shakespearean' thang he always, ALWAYS does, his voice in that game makes me nauseated, only there to add a faux 'gravitas' to a series of games I don't readily associate with the bald b0ll0cker, nor want to. Irked me, it did, stole atmos from the game, would much prefer to read the text myself, or at least hear P.S. chat in his native West Yorkshire twang...y'never hear that though!

Deep Fear on Saturn has TERRIBLE voice acting.. but it goes with the game. Such mincing, stilted, inappropriate campery totally robs it of scares or brooding terror yet somehow it improves a *very* mediocre game...it's bumtastic.
I couldn't disagree with you more on either count.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:31 am

I always thought it was a shame the voice cast of Discworld wasn't more varied - you can tell that so many characters are voiced by the same actors. But then it was early days as far as voices in games are concerned so it;s not the end of the world.
As far as bad acting in a game goes, 7th Guest, 11th Hour and Phantasmagoria all had some pretty attrocious moments! Still decent games though.
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

goldenone

Post by goldenone » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:56 am

Surprised nobody has mentioned Resident Evil on the PS1.

Didn't spoil the game but looking back some of it was cringeworthy....."The master of unlocking" :lol:

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:22 pm

goldenone wrote:Surprised nobody has mentioned Resident Evil on the PS1.

Didn't spoil the game but looking back some of it was cringeworthy....."The master of unlocking" :lol:

Probably due to my young age, and the novelty of the playstyle and actually having voices, but I never noticed how bad it was when I originally played

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:14 pm

PaulEMoz wrote:The voice acting in Trouble Witches NEO! is fantastically bad. It creases me up when I play it, so I guess that example doesn't count! :lol:
See also: Two Worlds.

It kind of makes the game for me.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:34 am

Yep, Monkey Island 1 (and 2). That game was so superbly written that it simply did not need voice acting and detracted from the game in my opinion. And the remake, although very well done, did not add anything whatsoever to the original game, IMO.