Irrational closes down

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Post Reply
User avatar
outdated_gamer
Posts: 2599
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:14 pm

Irrational closes down

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:46 pm

Not the freshest news but anyway - Irrational Games, the people behind the BioShock and System Shock games, closed down. Here's a public statement:

http://irrationalgames.com/new-featured ... -levine-2/


Interestingly, it doesn't seem to contain any "finger pointing" at subjects like piracy, used games, discounted games, too high budgets or even gamer's dis-interest, but rather explains they are going to from a smaller, more fan-focused group. :wink:

Regarding the games they made - the first two System Shock games are pretty much classics of the "FPRPG" (sub)genre but I have yet to invest some more time into them whereas BioShock was quite a nice (if "streamlined") experience too. I did not play his latest game (BioShock Infinity) though. But apparently it's also good.

Thoughts?

errolwd40
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:39 pm

Re: Irrational closes down

Post by errolwd40 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:33 pm

Real shame this, for all the hard working and highly talented people work there. It makes you wonder what the publisher was expecting, I mean the game got 90%+ on every review I saw and it sold millions. Not much more they could have done.

I think it goes to show that the current triple A game model is horribly broken with games needing to sell more than ever to recoup bigger expenses/budgets. I think we may see fewer and fewer games in the future aside from fifa, pes, wwe, call of duty etc.

Always have indy games, but is that enough to sustain home consoles? I say probably not.

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 15034
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: Irrational closes down

Post by Megamixer » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:07 pm

It just sounds like Ken Levine has lost interest, decided to downsize and get rid of most of the staff in the process...is that a worse way to lose your job than as a result of a studio folding for financial reasons? I think so. I mean, there was no need for Irrational to shut down by the sounds of that article. At the end of the day, it's his show and he can do what he wants but still a shame for the other guys that aren't in that 15.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
outdated_gamer
Posts: 2599
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:14 pm

Re: Irrational closes down

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:47 pm

errolwd40 wrote:Real shame this, for all the hard working and highly talented people work there. It makes you wonder what the publisher was expecting, I mean the game got 90%+ on every review I saw and it sold millions. Not much more they could have done.

I think it goes to show that the current triple A game model is horribly broken with games needing to sell more than ever to recoup bigger expenses/budgets. I think we may see fewer and fewer games in the future aside from fifa, pes, wwe, call of duty etc.

Always have indy games, but is that enough to sustain home consoles? I say probably not.
I think most of the expenses from the high-production games these days go for the voice-acting and cinematic presentation. But I also think publishers may have unrealistic expectations. They probably just look at COD and GTA sales and say "that's what we want to sell too". But this is an unrealistic proposition. The COD series have a large following that buys it each year and the GTA series take years to make - huge investment but also huge success.

I think low-production games from independant studios like Minecraft show how successful can a game be without a high budget and advertising. But there may be a future for crowd-funded, enthusiast-centric games too. I mean just look at Star Citizen and how much support that got - over 30 million $ and counting. This is more than some mainstream-oriented high production games of today and the "Spaceship Simulator" genre was proclaimed "dead" (or atleast "niche") by the majority of the big publishers out there.

I think there a huge untapped market out there but the risk-taking these days is a rare sight so you get the marginalization that is happening in gaming these days.

User avatar
outdated_gamer
Posts: 2599
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:14 pm

Re: Irrational closes down

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:58 pm

Megamixer wrote:It just sounds like Ken Levine has lost interest, decided to downsize and get rid of most of the staff in the process...is that a worse way to lose your job than as a result of a studio folding for financial reasons? I think so. I mean, there was no need for Irrational to shut down by the sounds of that article. At the end of the day, it's his show and he can do what he wants but still a shame for the other guys that aren't in that 15.
Well, some "outside sources" say it was 2K that gave them the choice between shutting down or reducing the team size. But I think it's interesing how more and more prominent developers from the industry are starting to form "independant, community-focused" groups. We have Molyneux, who quit Lionhead, Cliffy B., who quit Epic, Levine, who quit Irrational, ect. Seems like many want to develop their projects without outside influence of the publishers who tell them how to make their games.

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 15034
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: Irrational closes down

Post by Megamixer » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:05 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
Megamixer wrote:It just sounds like Ken Levine has lost interest, decided to downsize and get rid of most of the staff in the process...is that a worse way to lose your job than as a result of a studio folding for financial reasons? I think so. I mean, there was no need for Irrational to shut down by the sounds of that article. At the end of the day, it's his show and he can do what he wants but still a shame for the other guys that aren't in that 15.
Well, some "outside sources" say it was 2K that gave them the choice between shutting down or reducing the team size. But I think it's interesing how more and more prominent developers from the industry are starting to form "independant, community-focused" groups. We have Molyneux, who quit Lionhead, Cliffy B., who quit Epic, Levine, who quit Irrational, ect. Seems like many want to develop their projects without outside influence of the publishers who tell them how to make their games.
So basically we'll be left with digital/iOS games from the 'new' Irrational and Bioshock handled by somebody else who will - at best - probably create something distinctly average. Hopefully I'm very wrong about the latter.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

James A
Posts: 3486
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:34 am
Location: Wrexham
Contact:

Re: Irrational closes down

Post by James A » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:14 pm

Must be a real kick in the nuts after doing a game like Bioshock Infinite that was both good and a success.
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests