What is wrong with a '7/10' review score?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

markopoloman

Re: What is wrong with a '7/10' review score?

Post by markopoloman » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:17 am

In all honesty, there is no difference to referring RVG reviews to RG reviews, GamesTM, Zzap64, Crash, The One, Amiga Power or any other mag/forum/web site. Yes, someone has mentioned RVG reviews over and over again and I can see why that annoys The Laird - but it is still a point of discussion within this thread.
If it is a big issue having reviews discussed from there, then the contributors should just let it go and post about some other reviews from somewhere else and not engage in conversation about it as this just leaves it open for more discussion (that has happened).
Also, why feel that it needs defending? It is a different site with its own members doing their own reviews - so what if the scoring system seems a little iffy to some people! Opinions are just that - opinions and that doesn't need to be made into something bigger than what it is.

All I would ask is that when discussing stuff from other forums where members here are involved is that it doesn't get personal or cause 'Forum Wars 27634'.

Maybe it is time though to stop the RVG review system debate and slip into something a little more comfortable... How about RG reviews and its scores? Nintendo 100% jobbies spring to mind!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:22 am

The Laird wrote:This is not RVG, this is Retro Gamer, this is not the place to leave feedback on reviews from another website. You have repeatedly brought these reviews up in multiple threads and are still claiming Speedball 2 got a 10 when I have pointed out several times that it didn't and the reasons why it got a 9. You don't like me or my reviews, I get it, but no reason to keep bringing them up at every opportunity, it's getting tiresome. I welcome critique of all my writing as anyone who actually knows me will tell you, it is the only way you improve as a writer, but there is a right time and place for it.
This has everything to do with REVIEWS. The thread was fine talking about review scores from other magazines, publications and websites, but as soon as your one is raised, all hell breaks loose - have some confidence and take it as a compliment that it is considered a source used for reviews and uttered in the same breath as the other ones. It has nothing to do with one forum being mentioned in another, i'm discussing reviews. Oh, there is nothing personal, I neither like nor dislike you. I perhaps dislike your over-sensitivity.

As for Speedball 2 on the Master System, am I blind or missing something? It says 10/10.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:50 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
The Laird wrote:If you do a 50/50 split its 31/39 :wink:
Even if you do include the games stated to be 'average' into the 'below average' portion of that score, there's still 20% more games rated 'above average'.
5 is only average (ie the middle score) if you assume a game could be potenitally awarded 0. However if the scale is strictly 1-10 then the middle score is 5.5, so 5 could be considered below average. Though all this is splitting hairs if you ask me.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:05 am

I know, lets argue about review scores on games from 20years ago...

If someone thinks a game is worth 10/10, then its worth 10/10 to them. That's no less valid than anyone else thinking its a 1/10.

And why is an "average" score 5/10?
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:03 am

2 more pages max

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:14 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:It has nothing to do with one forum being mentioned in another, i'm discussing reviews. Oh, there is nothing personal, I neither like nor dislike you. I perhaps dislike your over-sensitivity.
I wouldn't ever comment on any of Stuart Campbell's reviews then if I were you :wink: :lol:

But the whole discussion about certain reviewers not being able to take any negative feedback from readers about their reviews without getting all arsey about it is a thread for another day I think.
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:30 pm

pratty wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:
The Laird wrote:If you do a 50/50 split its 31/39 :wink:
Even if you do include the games stated to be 'average' into the 'below average' portion of that score, there's still 20% more games rated 'above average'.
5 is only average (ie the middle score) if you assume a game could be potenitally awarded 0. However if the scale is strictly 1-10 then the middle score is 5.5, so 5 could be considered below average. Though all this is splitting hairs if you ask me.
Except RVG reviewers agreed on a set scale, where 5 is considered to be the average game:
The Laird wrote:the scores there are judged as follows:

1 - Abysmal and unplayable.
2 - Terrible
3 - Pretty awful
4 - Below average, let down in too many areas.
5 - Average
6 - Above average, lacking in key areas.
7 - Good.
8 - Very good
9 - Excellent
10 - An example of one of the system's best games.

That structure was not made up by me or anyone else, it was decided upon by the initial group of reviewers we had. We talked about how we thought games should be rated and all came to a common agreement on this.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:34 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:
Sephiroth81 wrote:It has nothing to do with one forum being mentioned in another, i'm discussing reviews. Oh, there is nothing personal, I neither like nor dislike you. I perhaps dislike your over-sensitivity.
I wouldn't ever comment on any of Stuart Campbell's reviews then if I were you :wink: :lol:

But the whole discussion about certain reviewers not being able to take any negative feedback from readers about their reviews without getting all arsey about it is a thread for another day I think.
Who is Stuary Campbell then? Let me at him!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:38 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:Who is Stuary Campbell then? Let me at him!
http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:12 pm

What makes a game average??
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:32 pm

slacey1070 wrote:What makes a game average??
Being made by Atari :wink:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:51 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
Sephiroth81 wrote:Sonic Jam - put simply, a total cash in. Compare it to Super Mario All-Stars - truly remastered all 4 titles on it from the 8 bit to 16 bit generation, as well as adding tighter controls and of course battery back up saving. Genuine effort was put into this package. Sega basically just dumped the ROMs on a CD, enhanced the sound a little, and put a 3D "tech-demo" for a game that never was to exist! From the 16-bit Megadrive, to the 32bit Saturn - the so called 2D powerhouse console, and no attempt was made to genuinely improve the games. Plus you had to wait for the games to load on CD, rather than the instant load times of cartridges! What a wasted opportunity, and definitely not a "perfect" score.
Well that's a tad inaccurate - the games aren't ROMs, they're conversions, so you can do things like use the Spin Dash in Sonic 1, or play as Tails in every game, plus there's all the challenges in the 3D world, and the artwork gallery and movie theatre. Considering the games that are included as well, it's easily worth 10/10.

Vastly off-topic, I know, but something had to be said there.
Good games are still good games. 'Nuff said. I don't recall having to wait an age for the CD to load anyway and even if there is a bit of a wait then it's not torturous to be patient. Try using a CD32 if you want to see what irritating loading times are like.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:37 pm

Off top of my head, EDGE classes 5/10 as Average and i've personally enjoyed far more games they scored at say 6 or 7 out of 10 over those they awarded 8 or 9's.

No-one commented so far on the rival scoring that often seemed to exist between publications back in the day?.I used to read a lot of C.U, Zzap 64 and C+VG at the time and a C.U Screen Star/C+VG hit would often be mauled by Zzap reviewers and vice versa.Seem to recal certain Amiga magazines often engaged in censored for tat type reviews, plus Mean machines got wound up by Digitiser more often than not, Gamesmasters Sonic 2 MD review (65%?) caused ripples etc.

@Markopoloman:Ref RG 100% scores or in fact an Edge 10 or any other much sought after score-Personally, as long as review has at least 1 2nd opinion and it and main review explain just why a game deserves such a score, i've no real issue with it in any publication or website.As i said before, pointless having any score based system if your never going to use all on offer.

100% or 10/10 etc does'nt mean game is flawless, but it can mean it's set a new benchmark in a genre (and made the full use of the host hardware) then why not? it does'nt have to re-invent the wheel, just set a standard for others to follow.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:27 am

Mathematics.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:15 am

gman72 wrote:
Being made by Atari :wink:
Ouch! True though....