What is wrong with a '7/10' review score?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Lost Dragon

Re: What is wrong with a '7/10' review score?

Post by Lost Dragon » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:28 am

Treguard wrote:
Megamixer wrote:I once bought an issue of Edge and almost fell asleep reading it.
I hoped Edge would get over it's 'We want games to be taken seriously as an artform! Lets discuss the different levels Golden Axe: Beast Rider speaks to us on' vibe it developed. It didn't. I cancelled my subscription.
Even the original creator of Edge was surprised just how up it's own backside the magazine went at 1 stage (he'd left at this point). :lol:

Never understood why they dropped the superb Making Of...features.Those alone could 'justify' the asking price back then.
They also used to do fantastic interviews with industry figures, those days seem sadly long gone.

The reviews that have stood out, for wrong reasons in Edge have been likes of Defender 2000 and AVP on Jaguar where i was left thinking, oh come on, it's dissapointing yes (D2K) but not that bad and why are you comparing this to Doom, just because it uses a FPS viewpoint? games trying something totally different here (AVP), PC Doom-talk to the creatures? ok.....Condemend II, Saboteur, Killzone 2+3 for issues of morality, cliches and swearing, Red Dead Redemption-not interested in how it tells a story, is it fun to play? and the Halo reviews where they had to make it clear they were 'invited' to hotel room with game running, PR person in room next door, if Edge reviewer left room for any reason, review time would be over etc etc.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:42 am

psj3809 wrote:Surprised people take reviews so seriously. I mean firstly its a review so its not going to please everyone (Just look at any top 20 lists in RG for example), yeah some sites seem to constantly give silly scores but i still enjoy reviews as often i'll see a screenshot or two and then i'll want to download the game to give it a go.

In the old days you were limited to a few magazines, now as its the internet/youtube etc every man and his dog thinks hes a decent reviewer, but just take it with a pinch of salt and dont take them so seriously
You would say that. I've still not recovered from the shock of your Number 99 ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:04 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Lost Dragon wrote:C+VG also springs to mind:

Wing Commander III PC CD-ROM 95% 'What makes the game so special though, is the slick FMV clips'

Magic Carpet PC CD-ROM 96% 'The best graphics yet seen on any machine.'

Toh Shin Den PS1 96% ' The graphics will have you aghast'

Ridge Racer PS1 96% 'Unbelievable graphics'.

Little wonder this was the era Sega coined the phrase 'Graphics Tarts' (i.e people being taken in by flashy visuals over solid gameplay)
How so? 3 of those 4 are solid games still enjoyable today. Highlighting the stunning presentation for their day seems only natural.
:wink: Best WC3 review i saw was from PC Zone 2 scores: 89% 'A flawed, yet engrossing epic-spills, thrills and plenty of ham' and... 62% '...or on the other hand, a gigantic, bloated, pain in the arse!' (basically majority of PC owners would lack the Ninja PC needed to run game in manner it was meant to be played).

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:24 am

Similarly, Sega Power on Mega Bomberman:

"Strictly for use with OTHER PEOPLE"
40% as a single-player game
75% in multi-player mode
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

dste

Post by dste » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:34 pm

People still read reviews...

In all honesty I pretty much haven't read a gaming review in years as if there is anything that I'm not sure about and might fancy buying then I tend to just watch a Youtube video to see how it plays. Plus I thought that most reviews these days were just scored to keep the companies happy.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:05 am

If you go back as far as the Amiga days, you'll find a degree of conflict between reviewers on the same magazines.Thinking of likes of C.U Amiga where Core's Skeleton Crew recived a very respectible 83% when reviewd on the A1200 by mags editor, then next month it's the turn of the CD32 version, different reviewer and very different score, 48%, with reviewer questioning just why the ED.had scored it so highly.

These days i've read good few Edge/Eurogamer reviews where the text suggested a lower score than game actually recived and i'm left thinking score was put in to appease publishers.

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:16 am

Lost Dragon wrote:If you go back as far as the Amiga days, you'll find a degree of conflict between reviewers on the same magazines.Thinking of likes of C.U Amiga where Core's Skeleton Crew recived a very respectible 83% when reviewd on the A1200 by mags editor, then next month it's the turn of the CD32 version, different reviewer and very different score, 48%, with reviewer questioning just why the ED.had scored it so highly.

These days i've read good few Edge/Eurogamer reviews where the text suggested a lower score than game actually recived and i'm left thinking score was put in to appease publishers.
Perhaps in Edge/Eurogamers case one person does the written review while another will apply the score.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:22 am

That could very well be the case retrosofer, there has been murmurings over the years of various sites/publications 'advising' what scores a freelancer should give a review, editors changing it etc.Ex-Edge staff writer once went very vocal over 'claims' that Rockstar wanted minimum of a 9 or would'nt supply exclusive art etc hence body of text suggesting a different score to 1 awarded.Eurogamer, IGN etc i've all seen take 'flak' in comments sections etc.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:00 pm

Had no issues with the score given, but to see Xbox and PS2 versions of Powerdrome being compared to Wipeout, Quantum Redshift, F-Zero (and even Project Gotham and Burnout) by reviewers with no idea of it's ST/Amiga origins did nark me (and made me feel very old... :lol: ).They made it seem like Powerdrome was cashing in on the genre.....

Groovyboarder

Post by Groovyboarder » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:53 pm

In my opinion 70% is seen as a bad score because people are voting with their cold hard cash.

Would you pay £40 for a 7/10 game when there are so many other 9/10 and 10/10 games around shouting for your attention.

In terms of advertising, games are competing with each other and there are enough 90-100% games around for people to buy and play without the need to bother with something that scored 'only' 70%.

We can't apply the same logic to a game score that we do to, say, an exam score (where we'd probably consider 70% to be a good mark).

Games are generally reviewed on their short term wow factor and as several people have mentioned, a 70% game might not have the immediate wow factor but might be a 'slow burn' classic with a longevity that far outweighs the star games out at the same time (bearing in mind that that brightest stars burn shortest).

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:40 pm

I've learned to ignore scores when i look back at reviews of games that either i myself really took a shine too or i know others did, despite getting 'mauled' at review, instead i look to se how constructive a review is.If a reviewer has made his or her case, it's fair enough.Whilst i might (strongly) disagree with a given score i can at least grasp why they came away so dissapointed.

Looking at something like Super Burn Out on Atari Jaguar (which i've seen awarded scores as low as 4/10) reviews often tended to praise it as a showcase of what the hardware could do in terms of sheer speed in handling 2D, a smooth 60 fps, up there with Sega's sprite-based coin-ops, undulating rather than flat tracks to race around etc, but reviewers felt the sacrifices made to achieve such speed did hinder gameplay.

Fact you only had 7 other bikes on the track with you, compared to say SNES Top Gear which 'swamped' you with rival cars and thus generated a real feeling of competive racing, too often in Super Burnout, you just did'nt encounter other bikers in their view.Plus roadside objects like the buildings were grey, made up of basic polygons and tracks felt too clinical in terms of design.Plus bikes headlights on the night time tracks had very little practical effect.

So in a review like that they've been honest to detail what designers got right and what areas they needed to drastically improve if they ever attempted a sequel.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:50 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
psj3809 wrote:Surprised people take reviews so seriously. I mean firstly its a review so its not going to please everyone (Just look at any top 20 lists in RG for example), yeah some sites seem to constantly give silly scores but i still enjoy reviews as often i'll see a screenshot or two and then i'll want to download the game to give it a go.

In the old days you were limited to a few magazines, now as its the internet/youtube etc every man and his dog thinks hes a decent reviewer, but just take it with a pinch of salt and dont take them so seriously
You would say that. I've still not recovered from the shock of your Number 99 ;)
That was me, not PSJ ;-)
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:28 pm

:oops:
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:15 pm

jdanddiet wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:

That was me, not PSJ ;-)
:lol: :lol:

Although Ant does have a valid point. How can I take you seriously any more? 99 :shock:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:27 pm

I wasn't aware you took me seriously anyway Marko :wink:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords