Bosses you just couldn't beat...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

LAIS

Bosses you just couldn't beat...

Post by LAIS » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:15 am

I've been playing through Rainbow Islands on the Amiga once again, and I've since remembered why it led to me breaking so many joysticks as a child...

The vampire boss.

Rock solid, frustratingly difficult...I only beat him once as a child (and died shortly after anyway) and I'm not fairing much better these days.

Which bosses could you (or can you) not beat at all, no matter how hard you tried?

rednoggy

Re: Bosses you just couldn't beat...

Post by rednoggy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:27 am

Bit of an off beat choice this, but the giant bird in baten kaitos origins. Normally in an rpg I would go off and level up, then go back and smite the git but this one Is right at the start of the second disc with nowhere to go. You have to beat it as you are, which I couldn't. I learned then that earlier save files could be a godsend.

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:59 am

One boss that stands out for me would be the Blue Swordsman boss you have to face in Kung Fu Kid on the Master System.

The boss was tough to little 7 year old me but what made it worse was that it occurred during the "Boss Rush" level. Despite that boss, the level was my favourite and I still enjoy playing it from time to time :D

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:33 am

I gave up on the final boss fight in Castlevania Lords of Shadow, I just couldn't or should I say can't do it, I suspect people gave up on both Souls games because of the boss battles
"Time fades even legend..."

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:43 am

The eyeball boss in Toki. It's just ridiculous. You can move left and right, very slowly, across the bottom of the screen. He can float anywhere and drop huge deadly objects on you that you can't duck or jump over.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:49 am

Leo, Level 6 from Viewtiful joe. It's been a while since I had another crack at him though.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Roo

Post by Roo » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:31 am

Just ridiculous.I think I beat it once every hundred tries.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:42 am

Shadow Hearts - Right at the end of the game, after a lengthy and frustrating fight with Albert Simon which costs you most of your items and MP, you're then thrust straight into a battle with 'God' (with no chance to heal or save in between) who proceeds to wipe out your whole team in about 2 turns. Ridiculous. :evil: :evil: :evil:

I absolutely despise it when JRPGs pull the 'multiple boss fight' trick at the best of times. :evil:
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:08 pm

- Grim Reaper (Castlevania)

- The duo of swordsmen/fencer guys in the tower on the last stage of Bujingai Swordmaster.

- 'Earth' (Spectral Vs Generation)

- Zeus (World Heroes 2: Jet)

...and a load of others that I've no doubt forgotten. I'll post them if I remember.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:13 pm

way back when....i couldn't get past the first boss in ninja gaiden on the (original) xbox after about 20 tries, i don't think i was missing much from the gameplay of the first level so no big deal. traded that bad boy straight in.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:16 pm

- Final boss from Metal Slug Advance...no matter how many times I tried.

- Last boss in Gunhound EX for PSP.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Mancman

Post by Mancman » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:25 pm

Last boss on Final Fantasy 7.

I couldn't tell you the heartache this caused, I put so many hours into this game and failed at final hurdle after numerous attempts. Sad to say I have up in the end :|

Analog

Post by Analog » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:08 pm

look at it sideways wrote:Bosses you just couldn't beat...
the one in my last job? :D

but seriously, there was one in final fantasy 9 that I got stuck on, couldn't progress any further with. I can't remember who he was though. i'd say that was the most frustrating because I had to either start the game again or give up since I wasn't powerful enough to take him on and each time I tried from the last save point I'd be defeated. couldn't grind to level up either because the area had no monsters I could grind up with iirc.
Mancman wrote:Last boss on Final Fantasy 7.

I couldn't tell you the heartache this caused, I put so many hours into this game and failed at final hurdle after numerous attempts. Sad to say I have up in the end :|
I found it wasn't as hard as I expected ,found emerald weapon to be the most difficult in that game, attempted it a few times but gave up.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:15 pm

The last boss of Dantes Inferno on 360. Just...couldn't! Might follow a members advice and drop it down to easy... maybe.

Dam

Post by Dam » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:21 pm

Megamixer wrote:- Grim Reaper (Castlevania)
I beat the grim reaper, but only once, and now I'm totally stuck on Dracula.

Also the last boss from Axelay, I'll admit I haven't tried it in a while, I could always get to the last boss fairly easily, but I never finished it.