Top 25 Saturn Games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

silvergunner

Re: Top 25 Saturn Games

Post by silvergunner » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:16 pm

1. Radiant silvergun
2. King of fighters
3. Die hard arcade
4. Nights
5. Soukyugurentai

There are a fair few others I could stick there but as usual 5 is not enough :lol:

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:31 am

I assumed you were asking for PAL titles

As for imports:

Drift King 97
Dead or Alive
Astal
Gungriffon 2
Layer Section 2
Thoughts and prayers.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:49 am

PaulEMoz wrote:
gman72 wrote:
PaulEMoz wrote:Did you play all them? You did very well if you did! :D
If you were referring to me, sir, then yes as I own them all. I've not completed Panzer Dragoon but got quite deep into it. Deep Fear is a really cool game but I got kinda confused by the oxygen meter as I have the imported version. The other three i've completed. Try playing the Jap SOTN with the extra Maria character, its a different but great experience. She's very fast and has a huge jump... pretty cool. :D
Yeah, I was. You must have a hell of a collection! I never got any of the imports or rare games, and there are a lot of them that seem as though they'd be very special. That said, my Top 5 are all fantastic games anyway, but I would certainly like to try and pick up some of the rarities one day. :)
I've owned loads and loads of Saturn games over the years, PAL and import. Some of them are boxed up in my mums attic, some I sold on but all of them I backed up a few years ago and now play on my chipped machine through my Action Replay Saturn cart. A must have IMO. I've never counted but I must have 2 to 3 hundred Saturn games.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:32 am

Feck missed Virtual On off my list

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:36 am

Give this a go...

1 - Baku Baku Animals - Especially in two-player mode.
2 - Shinobi X - My second favourite Shinobi game, after Shinobi III.
3 - Mass Destruction - Agreed, amazing game! Played it on PC first, and have the PS version on my PSP as well. Can't get enough of it.
4 - DeathTank Zwei! - Hidden on Duke Nukem 3D, it's too good to stay hidden.
5 - Sengoku Blaede: Sengoku Ace Episode 2 - Because everyone making a list of Saturn favourites has to include an obscure Japanese shooter.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:04 am

So many great games, my top five:

1) Sega Rally
2) Panzer Dragoon Saga
3) Layer Section
4) Shining Force 3
5) Fightersmegamix

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:17 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Give this a go...

1 - Baku Baku Animals - Especially in two-player mode.
Popular at my games nights

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:29 am

Shining Wisdom
Resident Evil
Nights
Virtua Cop 2
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:12 pm

1.Panzer Dragoon Saga - If this had been on PS1 it would have, and deserved to shift millions, epic game.
2.Guardian Heroes - Treasure's very fine side scrolling brawler just makes me smile whenever I play it.
3.Mass Destruction - Exactly what it says on the tin, brilliant tank destruction melarky.
4.Radiant Silvergun - Savage, but beautiful shoot em up, Treasure at their considerable best.
5.Virtua Cop - Still one of the most enjoyable lightgun games there is IMO.

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:26 am

I do love my Saturn, but haven't explored the import scene nearly as thoroughly as I did with the Dreamcast, which limits my choices somewhat. Let's have these:

1/ Fighters Megamix
As broken as you'd expect of a game which combines two different approaches to 3D fighting, but it looked great, had the extra Virtua Fighter 3 moves and sweet unlockable characters. Hornet for life etc.

2/ NiGHTS into Dreams
The amount of times I've seen this misunderstood by people who've never played it is unreal. Sure, the dynamic music and visuals are charming, but it's a hardcore score attack game - and that's why I love it.

3/ Street Fighter Alpha 2
This would probably be the third game if I had it, but Alpha 2 is still great. The 2D art is beautiful and it's as great in multiplayer now as it was back in the 90s.

4/ Burning Rangers
I love Burning Rangers but desperately want to see it remade. The premise is awesome and the random level generation is really cool, but the poor old Saturn doesn't half struggle with it.

5/ Die Hard Arcade
Scrolling beat-'em-ups really suffered from the move to 3D, so few good ones arrived in the 32-bit era. Die Hard Arcade was a lot of fun though, and the dodgy semi-connected licence deal just makes it far funnier.

ZeroCipher

Post by ZeroCipher » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:42 am

Virtua Cop 2
Sega Rally
Die Hard Arcade
Fighters MegaMix
House of the Dead
Check my radio show every Tuesday 11pm (GMT) on TotalRock.com & every Saturday 8pm ET on FullFreqRadio.com & 11pm EST on TheMixx.FM also via the TuneIn App. On Demand www.mixcloud.com/djforcex

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:21 pm

Truth be told, I've not played that many Saturn games so I'll just mention the ones that I know I enjoyed.

1. Command & Conquer - I've played what probably has to be most ports of this game (DOS, Windows, PSX, N64 and Saturn) and out of the 3 console versions the Saturn version hit the spot, even getting a few hidden extras that no other version of C&C got. I convinced my friend who had a saturn to let me borrow it with this game for a couple of weeks and I played the life out of it for that time.

2. Sega Rally - I vaguely remember this being every bit as playable as the actual arcade game at the time, and I do know I spent several days playing it on my friends' saturn.

3. Daytona USA - I also remember playing this on the same Saturn. If memory serves me correctly it wasn't quite as good as the arcade game, but it was more than a solid effort.

4. Tomb Raider - Sadly, this is the ONLY other Saturn game I can actually ever remember playing, and if memory serves me correctly, it was hideously ugly compared to the Playstation version everyone else was playing back then.

EDIT : A VERY late edit here, I just saw the mention of Virtual On. I did play that, but it was the arcade cabinet when it was in Catterick rather than the actual Saturn game - otherwise I'd have included it as number 5 - strangely appropriate given it was about robots. :mrgreen:
Last edited by gunbladelad on Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where logic won't work, I will

killbot

Post by killbot » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:58 pm

Assuming we're just talking about PAL releases:

1. Sega Rally
2. Virtua Fighter 2
3. Street FIghter Alpha 2
4. Baku Baku
5. Athlete Kings

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:56 pm

1. Sega Rally
2. Guardian Heroes
3. Virtua Fighter 2
4. Sega Ages
5. Die Hard Arcade

Jayextee

Post by Jayextee » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:16 am

In no particular order, since I won't play favourites with my favourites:

Exhumed

Precursor to Metroid Prime's nonlinear, exploration-and-ability gameplay? Sure! But it has an atmosphere that rivals any other of the (admittedly-sparse) FPS on Saturn, plus some incredible sights pulled out of the machine. Though Lobotomy improved the engine with Quake and Duke 3D, neither title looked quite as good as their fledgling shooter.

Fighters Megamix

I was going to plump right for Virtua Fighter 2, but after a second thought FMM has a better legacy. You know how everyone loves Super Smash Bros. and the way Nintendo pay lip-service to older games to appease to fans? Shyeah, Sega showed those guys how to do it with this game. It's also a fantastic party-fighter in itself, no matter what your skill level.

NiGHTS Into Dreams

There's little that hasn't been said about this beautiful collect 'em up. I am sorely disappointed that the combo-oriented gameplay never took off and we have relatively few games that are as compulsive for score-attacking as this one. Also, the no-nonsense part of me loves that all the fluff (unlockables and pointless trinkets) were relegated to the 'bonus' disc, Christmas NiGHTS.

Guardian Heroes

Out on a limb, I am declaring this the best-looking game on Sega Saturn. Why not? Gorgeous hand-drawn sprites (that the HD re-release seemed to be intent on ruining) and detailed backgrounds add up to a visual experience greater than the sum of its parts. Chaotic but beautiful. Also, that often-seen RPG-lite stuff that a lot of game since have done? Pretty much stole the schtick from here.

Sonic R

Can you seeeee? The sun is shining on meeeee! This game is the 'Rocky Horror Picture Show' of the Sonic series, in that it's the kind of terrible one can take true joy in, as it's an audiovisual tour de force through all things camp. Revel in its naffness for the half-hour it takes to complete the thing, and then put it back in the closet for a year to do all over again one day. A bit like seeing RHPS in that respect, I guess.