Titanfall Beta

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Joey

Re: Titanfall Beta

Post by Joey » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:18 am

It's interesting that there doesn't seem to be much advantage for K/b mouse users over pad users. Not sure if there is some mild auto aim but I've not noticed any?

Verticality is the key to success in this game though!

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:04 pm

anyone got this? whose up for a game? my tag is grizzl33
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

Misery

Post by Misery » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:50 am

Misery wrote:I swear, I must be the only person that really doesnt like this one at all.

Not that this fact is surprising, of course.

I really must stop saying things like this. Every time I do, I later on buy the bloody thing. Well, ALMOST every time. I've yet to do it in relation to something put out by Nintendo.

In this case, I"d had completely the wrong idea about this one... it looked like another typical military shooter, with lots of hiding and sniping and more hiding and more sniping.... and instead it's the hyper fast-paced sort that I always WISH the genre would put out. Where my tactic of "Run around like a maniac and charge at things while going berserk with guns" actually accomplishes stuff. Just gets me more deader in your typical modern-military shooter.... not in this though.

My cousin convinced me to have a second look at this one, saying "seriously, it doesnt play like those ones you hate, go watch these guys streaming it and bouncing offa walls and stuff". Did this, saw a couple of hours of this over a period of about 2 days, went and bought the damn game.

And it's bloody excellent. Really IS what I wanted out of the genre all these years. The crazed leaping and climbing and general lack of hiding behind stuff (since the game rewards aggression) works wonderfully for me. I dont instantly suck at this like I do with any shooter that needs, you know, patience and stuff. I dont think there's even one game mechanic in here that irritates me. Even the respawning after death needs no patience, because it's like what, 2 seconds? None of that "die, wait 15 damn seconds, spawn, die again, argharghargh". Leaping around is fun, the mechs are fun (though I cant drive one worth a crap yet, keep smashing the wrong keys), the burn cards are neat, and the weapons and such are good as well.

The only problem is that I have to put up with Origin for this. Ugh. Also the fact that I cant play it for too long in one sitting, or my arm will flare up from the mouse.

Bloody good game one way or another though. One of those times where I'm glad to be wrong about a game.... wouldnt mind that happening a bit more often, really....

EDIT: And is it just me, or is the matchmaking currently smashed and broken? I *just* started with the game and am very low level, but the game keeps squashing me in with players that are like level 40-something. I'm surprised I actually manage to accomplish stuff beyond just shooting grunts in these (though it does make it more satisfying). But still. I'd think that it shouldnt be doing that....

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:44 am

Wow... I never thought id see the day.
Misery praises a modern 1st person shooter and doesn't even use the word brown... it's a miracle :lol:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:19 pm

Holy hell this is awesome fun. Picked up the pc version and it's insanely enjoyable. I can't normally stand multiplayer games like this, but it feels so fresh and exciting. If anyone wants to add me it's strideristhebest.

I was openly taking the mickey out of the 6v6 but it feels like you are playing against more people somehow. Tempted to get a bone, but it's supposed to be pretty ropey, which is said considering it is meant as a killer exclusive.

ZeroCipher

Post by ZeroCipher » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:01 pm

Anyone who is playing this on the Xbox One add me (GT: DJForceX)
Check my radio show every Tuesday 11pm (GMT) on TotalRock.com & every Saturday 8pm ET on FullFreqRadio.com & 11pm EST on TheMixx.FM also via the TuneIn App. On Demand www.mixcloud.com/djforcex

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:31 pm

Moment I rodeo killed a titan, got sent flying off into the sky after it blew up, right onto another one, which I promptly dispatched the same way, I knew I loved the game.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:40 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Holy hell this is awesome fun. Picked up the pc version and it's insanely enjoyable. I can't normally stand multiplayer games like this, but it feels so fresh and exciting. If anyone wants to add me it's strideristhebest.
Added you.

Mine is PixelFist if anyone is playing the PC version.

Misery

Post by Misery » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:54 am

gman72 wrote:Wow... I never thought id see the day.
Misery praises a modern 1st person shooter and doesn't even use the word brown... it's a miracle :lol:

Yeah, quite frankly I never thought I'd see the day either.

The FPS genre has been stuck in the same trends for so absurdly long that I'd entirely given up on it. I'd say Hawken (PC, can be found on Steam) is actually the first hint at something like this in many years, but I'd assumed it was an anomaly and that there probably wouldnt be anything else for a long time. And then this happened. And about bloody time. Fast wild action with lots of running around and no need for constant hiding is all I wanted. AND there's giant robots that punch things.

As for the color scheme, it definitely could be a bit more colorful, but as it's in the far future at least there's lots of techy-looking bits everywhere. Same with Hawken actually. I notice that both of them involve giant robots.

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Holy hell this is awesome fun. Picked up the pc version and it's insanely enjoyable. I can't normally stand multiplayer games like this, but it feels so fresh and exciting. If anyone wants to add me it's strideristhebest.

I was openly taking the mickey out of the 6v6 but it feels like you are playing against more people somehow.
Them adding those grunts and whatever the robot ones are called was a bloody grand idea. There's more enemies for you to shoot at without actually making the teams bigger. And the absolute lack of respawn times helps ALOT too. Agh. Why couldnt all of these other devs have come up with stuff like this? Games like this are why I love it when developers try new things.

I kinda like what the smaller teams do overall though.... when I get into a firefight, it's often VS one other player, which is generally much more intense than suddenly running into 5 of them because the map has 40 damn players in it.

Just, really, such a blast.

I gotta say, there's been alot of good multiplayer stuffs recently on PC here. Hearthstone for example, or the various mobas, and plenty of other things. Another one to add to that list.

EDIT: And as for username and such, I am Cubia55 on the PC version. Though dont expect me to be the best teammate ever; I tend to do things at random and if I get overly excited I will somehow manage to do something like dash directly into robot feet, which ends about as you'd expect.

Though, massively different timezones likely mean I cant join anyone here anyway.