PRO EVOLUTION SERIES

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

errolwd40

Re: PRO EVOLUTION SERIES

Post by errolwd40 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:34 am

My favourites are still the ps1 iss pro evo series. They had fantastic artwork too if I remember. Every player when they had possession of the ball felt different rather than the generic feel of other football games of the time. :)

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:37 am

Mayhem wrote:WE6FE on the Cube was arguably the best release of the series. Spent huge amounts of time with it...
I'd be genuinely suprised if anyone on the planet has played that game more than me. PES 2-6 were untouchable.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:08 am

You could give Pro-Devolution Soccer a go.

I hear it's the favourite game of the SNP at the moment. :)

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:23 am

Negative Creep wrote:I really miss arcade style football games such as the earlier games or Sega Worldwide Soccer. FIFA now has more buttons than a B52 bomber and to me that takes away a lot of the fun. Only arcade one I can find on the 360 is SWOS, but since I never gre up with it I find just having one button far too tricky
In 2010 EA introduced an arcade two button control system. Works ok.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:15 pm

Pro Evo 4,5,6 on the PS2 are the best football games ever made, shame the series has been in a nosedive since.

errolwd40

Post by errolwd40 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:51 pm

I also enjoy the psp versions of the game. They are almost exactly the same as the ps2 games which is amazing really.

The only downer is that the stick is a little harder to use than the ps2 pad.

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:48 am

I used to be quite involved over at Evo-Web, PESFan, Neoseeker and PESGaming with option file editing and various other things. The game was great in the PS2 days and had a community to match.

That all disappeared with the last gen: fan sites became affiliated and lost their independence, online play introduced juvenile virtual tea-bagging and trolling to a what had been a friendly and dedicated community, and the strive for more 'realism' killed what was a fun and challenging game.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:06 pm

nakamura wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:I really miss arcade style football games such as the earlier games or Sega Worldwide Soccer. FIFA now has more buttons than a B52 bomber and to me that takes away a lot of the fun. Only arcade one I can find on the 360 is SWOS, but since I never gre up with it I find just having one button far too tricky
In 2010 EA introduced an arcade two button control system. Works ok.

Never knew that. Is it still an option in FIFA 14?

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:38 pm

che_don_john wrote:I used to be quite involved over at Evo-Web, PESFan, Neoseeker and PESGaming with option file editing and various other things. The game was great in the PS2 days and had a community to match.

That all disappeared with the last gen: fan sites became affiliated and lost their independence, online play introduced juvenile virtual tea-bagging and trolling to a what had been a friendly and dedicated community, and the strive for more 'realism' killed what was a fun and challenging game.
I used to download some of the Update packs for the PC version of PES from PESFan, recall there being a really good Championship one once.

Maybe if Pro Evo focused on the PC market with Mods and using deeper computing power they might carve a new niche market.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:03 pm

^ Dunno about that, I get the 360 edit files from OnlyProEvolutions and they work really well - you'd be hard pressed to tell that the kits and badges aren't licensed.

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:33 am

Liamh1982 wrote:^ Dunno about that, I get the 360 edit files from OnlyProEvolutions and they work really well - you'd be hard pressed to tell that the kits and badges aren't licensed.
Absolutely. There are still people doing some great work in editing and creating, especially over at WENB. The whole process has been made a bit more difficult since this gen (or should that be last gen?!): in the PS2 days you had just one 'Option File' that you could then edit, either on your PS3 or on PC (if you had Xport or Max Drive), and import badges, sponsors, kits, etc, into, as data was easy to edit over; but editing the PS3 versions became a bit more bloated and difficult, especially in the beginning.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

llj

Post by llj » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:53 pm

Currently playing my first Pro Evo game with Winning Eleven 9 (Pro Evo 5 for you guys in EU land) and wow, what a great game this is and I can see why it was so esteemed in the PS2 era. What I like is that it plays almost more like a strategy game than the slam bang stat padding fest of most sports games. You're constantly looking for openings in the defence, or trying to create them, which comes rarely even on lower difficulty levels and it's the first sports game I've played where you can't completely break the game's AI after playing just 10 matches. There are probably seams in the AI I'll eventually find, but so far every time I think I've found a surefire weakness in the AI, that weakness closes up when I play a better opponent. Very believable. Even on the 2 star rating I find it's difficult to consistently punt in more than 3 goals per game, which I like; FIFA games to me seem to regularly see ridiculous scores of 10-0 even today.

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:24 am

Green Bert wrote:I love the NTSC-J Winning Eleven series - there is a lot of variety in them, more then the ISS/Pro Evoltion Soccer PAL series for the PSX.
Are the Winning Eleven games different from Pro Evo then?
I always thought it was just a different name.

I'll have to look out for them. What's the best one to go for?

merman

Post by merman » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:05 am

It was my older brother who really got me into them, he was a big fan of the PC version and then I played it on various consoles. Pro Evo 4 remains my favourite.

Going further back I picked up ISS Deluxe for the SNES in a second-hand shop. The box was the original, the cartridge inside was the deluxe version.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

llj

Post by llj » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:18 pm

stvd wrote:
Green Bert wrote:I love the NTSC-J Winning Eleven series - there is a lot of variety in them, more then the ISS/Pro Evoltion Soccer PAL series for the PSX.
Are the Winning Eleven games different from Pro Evo then?
I always thought it was just a different name.

I'll have to look out for them. What's the best one to go for?
Winning Eleven in Japan features a lot of local Japanese leagues in the games, unlike the EU and NA which are more international.

The basic gameplay for all of the games is mostly the same as far as I know, with just a few minor differences between them.