PRO EVOLUTION SERIES

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

errolwd40

PRO EVOLUTION SERIES

Post by errolwd40 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:18 pm

I was just wondering if you guys think the magazine might do a feature on the pro evolution soccer series? The series is 20 years old later this year. The series has been going strong ever since (although this gen has been a bit wobbly). From the original iss on super nes and megadrive to the brand split iss pro on ps1 and iss on n64 to the amazing ps2 games. I have always loved these games even though I am not really a big fan of footy in real life. Amazing single player experience with the master league and great multiplayer game also (especially on ps2). I seem to remember a feature on fifa a couple of years ago (which I also love), doing a feature on pes would be a natural progression. What do you guys think? Cheers. :D

crusto

Re: PRO EVOLUTION SERIES

Post by crusto » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:25 pm

PES was simply unbeatable during the PS2 days. Not so much so now, but I still can't take to FIFA and it's treacle control system.

Eat your nans pants

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:27 pm

After years of Pro Evolution Soccer, I've only just realised how the title makes it sound like it's about a football match featuring Richard Dawkins and the late Christopher Hitchens. It made me chuckle.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:38 pm

killbot wrote:After years of Pro Evolution Soccer, I've only just realised how the title makes it sound like it's about a football match featuring Richard Dawkins and the late Christopher Hitchens. It made me chuckle.
Yeah, I can't imagine it ever going down too well in the Bible Belt with a name like that. :lol:

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:11 pm

killbot wrote:After years of Pro Evolution Soccer, I've only just realised how the title makes it sound like it's about a football match featuring Richard Dawkins and the late Christopher Hitchens. It made me chuckle.
:)

errolwd40

Post by errolwd40 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:18 pm

I never though about it like that. Brings new meaning to Maradonna's Hand of God! :)

Green Bert

Post by Green Bert » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:32 pm

I love the NTSC-J Winning Eleven series - there is a lot of variety in them, more then the ISS/Pro Evoltion Soccer PAL series for the PSX.

And the Japanese commentary is hilarious - "SHOOT-O!"

My favourite is Winning Eleven 3: Final Version;
http://ks23364.kimsufi.com/psxdata/data ... _list.html

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:28 pm

Pro Evolution Soccer games on the PS1 got the most game play from me, used to spend hours building teams on Master League, Van Nistelrooy and Henry upfront was deadly.

Brought the first Pro Evo game on the PS2, then floated out of gaming for a while, been a solid FIFA player since 2008.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:37 pm

PES was great up to PES4 at which point it became obvious they weren't even trying anymore. Dead series since then.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:24 pm

errolwd40 wrote:From the original iss on super nes and megadrive to the brand split iss pro on ps1 and iss on n64 to the amazing ps2 games.
Don't forget about Goalstorm on the PS1...really fun game!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:08 am

ISS on the SNES. Its the only footie game to date that I played a significant amount of. Nothing else came close.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:20 am

I've actually considered pitching this when I have time. Be nice to grab an short interview with the series creator.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:21 am

About time this die-hard got involved in the discussion! :lol:

Just want to repeat Naka's sentiments that getting an interview with Seabass would be a must. I'd ask how the licensing issues have hurt the series' reputation and sales despite it returning to some kind of form.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:21 pm

WE6FE on the Cube was arguably the best release of the series. Spent huge amounts of time with it...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:34 pm

I really miss arcade style football games such as the earlier games or Sega Worldwide Soccer. FIFA now has more buttons than a B52 bomber and to me that takes away a lot of the fun. Only arcade one I can find on the 360 is SWOS, but since I never gre up with it I find just having one button far too tricky