Your favourite Playstation games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

HalcyonDaze00

Re: Your favourite Playstation games

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:45 pm

good to see Tenchu getting a few mentions, it did stealth much better than mgs and has never really got the credit it deserved, would be good to see it covered in the mag (probably too old for a future classic but any feature on it would be ace)

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:54 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:good to see Tenchu getting a few mentions, it did stealth much better than mgs and has never really got the credit it deserved, would be good to see it covered in the mag (probably too old for a future classic but any feature on it would be ace)
hell yes.

i would really love to see a modern remake,the same layout just with tighter controls and all the benefits of a more modern console (larger draw distances).
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:04 pm

1. Front Mission 3 - Overlooked SRPG with satisfying combat and great 2-way story

2. Final Fantasy VII - Predictable but it opened up an impressionable teenager to JRPGs :wink:

3. Monster Rancher - Thirsty for anything remotely similar to Pokemon I became obsessed with this monster raising sim and went through my entire CD collection trying to find the greatest beast to battle with. Turns out Nirvana's Nevermind gives you an awesome Dark Phoenix

4. Street Fighter Alpha 3 - One of my favourite 2D fighters of all time with practical customization

5 - Vagrant Story - Atmospheric RPG with an brilliant RISK/reward combat system

Have to say I had a lot of love for SquareSOFT. Parasite Eve 2, FFVIII, FFIX are all favourites.

Metal Gear Solid should probably be up there but when you are restricted to only 5 games its a little hard.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:26 pm

Hitman_HalStep wrote:
HalcyonDaze00 wrote:good to see Tenchu getting a few mentions, it did stealth much better than mgs and has never really got the credit it deserved, would be good to see it covered in the mag (probably too old for a future classic but any feature on it would be ace)
hell yes.

i would really love to see a modern remake,the same layout just with tighter controls and all the benefits of a more modern console (larger draw distances).
agree 100% with the pair of you. Tenchu was all kinds of epic. The camera would occasionally get in the way, but most PS1 3d games were guilty of that. Used to love dropping off the roof for an instakill :D
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:38 pm

Doom
Ridge Racer
Crash Bandicoot
Resident evil
Wipeout

Very generic list but didn't play the pS1 much when it came out tbh.

errolwd40

Post by errolwd40 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:51 pm

So many classics, for me

Iss pro evolution
Crash team racing
wwf smackdown
Wipeout 2097
Everybody's golf

Really spoilt for choice here, could probably name over 100. Maybe the greatest console ever. :D

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:47 pm

1. Grandia
2. Alundra
3. Tomb Raider 2
4. Final Fantasy 7
5. Rapid Reload
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:26 pm

01-Die Hard Trilogy - One of those "evergreen" games, always fun to go back to. Not so much the first part, but the lightgun and driving bits are all sorts of YES.

02-Vib Ribbon - Stupidly addictive stuff here. Would love to be able to get it working on the PSP but there you go.

03-Rival Schools: United By Fate - My favourite beat-em-up, possibly. Strange characters with team-up attacks and all sorts.

04-Bushido Blade - Or is this my favourite? Hard to choose. This one's definitely funnier.

05-PaRappa the Rapper - Like Vib Ribbon, stupidly addictive once you know what you're doing, and the songs are great too.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:24 am

I'm not quite sure where all this love for Doom comes from, it always seemed pretty basic to me on PlayStation. I guess, I didn't play it on launch, but a few years later; then though I was comparing it to bungie's Marathon; which imo blew it apart. Not only that, but Alien Trilogy is the better game.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:58 am

Oh man, I didn't even mention Tony Hawk 1&2 or Rollcage 1&2.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:04 am

1 Gran Turismo 2
2 Time Crisis
3 Metal Gear Solid
4 Driver
5 Point Blank 3

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:20 am

retrojc wrote:I'm not quite sure where all this love for Doom comes from, it always seemed pretty basic to me on PlayStation. I guess, I didn't play it on launch, but a few years later; then though I was comparing it to bungie's Marathon; which imo blew it apart. Not only that, but Alien Trilogy is the better game.
People who couldn't be bothered to read reviews! Alien Trilogy was better, but then Disruptor was better than all of them!

32Bitter

Post by 32Bitter » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:51 am

Crash Trilogy
Kurushi
Gran Turismo
MGS
Tomb Raider

Could list tons more too!
Don't think!....Feel!.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:57 am

Doom, Alien Trilogy and Disruptor were all brilliant on the PS1 in different ways. The reasons Doom was awesome on Playstation are numerous but perhaps have been debated on RG forum quite extensively. Bear in mind the version released recently on the PSN is NOT the PS1 version but an inferior PC incarnation with horrid, tinny rock music not the Playstations awesome atmospheric soundtrack and without the animated skies and other graphic effects included in the Playstation version.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:56 am

32Bitter wrote: Kurushi
Used to love that one, but when I tried it again recently I couldn't remember how to play it :oops:
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.