Mega Drive game recommendations

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue May 08, 2007 3:29 pm

Flashback (stunning at the time)
Virtua Racing (as above)
PGA Tour 1,2 & European Tour (the best golf ganes EVER)
Any Micro Machines
Sonic 2
Sensible Soccer
Pete Sampras Tennis
Revenge of Shinobi
Castle of Illusion

seabass

Post by seabass » Tue May 08, 2007 4:42 pm

I made a list somewhere (me and a poster on a different forum had an argument on which was the better system - SNES or MD)
For now I'll just list games off my head:

Dynamite Heddy: It's a bit hard in places (espically later boss battles) but it's full of charm that makes you play again.

Sonic 2 and 3:
Sonic 2 is argubably the finest sonic game but Sonic 3, despite it's horrible bonus stages and slower pace, is still a damn good sonic game and is more stylish of the two.
Love the soundtrack to these games.

Sonic and Knuckles:
You get to play as knuckles! come on, that fact means sonic 2 and 3 get extended replay value ^_^

Micro Machines 2 Turbo Tournment: J-Cart baby! fantsic invention allowing MM the way it should be played, with your best friends who slowly become your enemy.
Only MMV3 on the PSX is better ^_^

Rocket Knight Adventure: You wouldn't beleive how badly I want a remake of this game (along with Pop 'N' Twinbee rainbow bell adventures). Wanna know why...play this fantastic game.

Thunderforce IV: Still the best shoot em up EVAR! (discounting a few found on MAME.)

Streets of Rage 2 and 3: SoR 2 has the better gameplay (just about) but SoR 3 is so much cooler, i mean you can play as a kangeroo and everyone's fave mid-boss, Shiva

Ristar: It's uber cute and has enough charm to keep you playing.

Gunstar Heroes:
Yeah you've read enough Retro Gamer to figure out why

World of Illisuion: Think of it as a pure disney ride - it may not last for long but it's so magical you'll have fond memories

Road Rash Series:
Play the first one for a while then skip to number two and three for some crusing 'n brusing fun (I'm here all night, try the chicken keiv ^_^)

Skitchin: Bet most of you missed this one out (if the answer is no, I now don't feel so smug ¬_¬). Anyway this is Road Rash on skates...it's a pure blast with a load of cheeseness and punky like graphics.

Alien Soldier:
When you've had fun wondering what the hell the plot is about and gotten use to the controls (and beleive us you will need to be comftable with them), then get ready for a choatic contra like game (though thankfully you have an energy bar)...and on that note.

Contra: Hard Corps: Seriously one of the hardest Contra games, but then, it wouldn't be a Contra game if it was easy ^_^ One of the best Contra games. Also nifty cut scenes ^_^

Castlevania Bloodlines:
SNES fans got Super Castlevania IV, Mega Drive fans got this...and there was once again balance in the world.

California Games: Feel thr tranquil nature of this game...untill you fluff up your highscore and in fustratoin throw your joypad on the ground.

FIFA Soccer 95: it's still good for a multiplayer laugh

Ranger X: Original game with some sweet level design and cool enounters. Wonder if this is a potenjtial asian cinema film that has yet to be made...

Desert Strike: Weeeeee fly baby fly! Still damn fun to play as a soldier trying to take out Suddam Hussain (or his body double -whatever!) in the gulf war. Dead hard in places though (a triat that would continue through the series)

Jungle Strike: Hands up those who's first action was to blow up the white house? More levels on a bigger scale meant more s*** being blown up.

Urban Strike: More of the same really altough there were different vhiecles (and even a few on foot missions i think)...but best fun was still in the helicopter and it was overall a damn fine game.

Landtsalker: As Zelda as MD fans were gonna get.

Lemmings: Worth the price just to hear a lemming go "oh no" before blowing itself up. Kind of amazing how this game hasn't been linked to sucide bombing just due to that ability.

Mega Games 6-1: Back in the days, this package was a huge deal. I forgot which games are in there...I think Streets of Rage, Columns, Super Hang-on, Revenge of the Shinobi, Golden Axe and World Cup Itlia...even if you think they don't play great anymore it's worth it for collection purposes.

Mercs: And you thought Contra was hard as nails shoot-em up, this baby will have you crying, espically the alternative mode.

NBA Jam: "He's on fire!" and the rim glass getting smashed...ah fond memories of a shallow game thats ashamingly fun to play

Outrun: It's the closest your gonna get driving a ferrai with a hot female.

PGA Tour Golf 2 and 3: Really I'm serious! A damn good golfing game thats robbed me many hours. Not played number 3 but i'm just gonna assume it's a better version of number 2

Phantasy Star Series: Not played these fully but loads of people (Retro Gamer crew included) praise this series so what the hell

Pulseman: quirky japanese game

Revenge of the Shinobi: dated but still presents a good challenge and who dosen't liek playing as a ninja ^_^

Shinobi III: I don't care if I get lynched for saying this, but this game is better then RotS. Better graphics, more gandoise bosses, good sountrack and nifty horse riding and surfing sections...Still love replaying this game.

Golden Axe Series: Still goddamn awesome, espically number 2 which just improves on the original so much (and the original was great.) Not played much of number 3 but it does seem like a good game overall.

Shining Force 2 dead hard at times (to the point of unfair) and you will learn to hate the "if leader dies, it's game over" system but when it's going your way, it's oh so sweet.

Soleil Your gonna need paitence and determination for the first part of the game but once you got your bearings and the game opens up more, this anything but a poor mans zelda.

Story of Thor: YOU MUST OWN THIS GAME! its that simple. Lush graphics, and brillant layout with thogutful puzzles. One of the best action-adventure games ever made.
(I would love to get a hold of the saturn sequel).

Strider You wonder why RG used to always mention this game...Cause it's brilliant, simple as ¬_¬

Sunset Riders: Yes the SNES version is better, but this is still a damn fine conversion. Just make sure your player two (like you don't want to be controling a mexican puncho and sunberro wearing guy...yeah figured you would...).

Robocop vs Terminator:...okay really I can't think of a great reason to own this, altough it was a decent game at the time...

ToeJam and Earl: With the gameplay as cool as ice and alien versions of Nitirous BIG and Flava Flav, you'd be whack to miss out on this (sigh...).

Virtual Fighter 2: Surprisngly a very good VF (considering the specs of the mega drive ¬_¬).

Vector Man: Enjoyable action game with nifty graphics (espically in the animation).

WWF Royal Rumble/Super Wrestlemania: Before the days of the Smackdown franchise, this is what we had to fulfill WWE (or WWF at the time) fantesies...thank god they were awesome games, espically Royal Rumble.

X-men: Excellent use of a license and still fun to play, espically as wolverine or nightcrawler.

Phew...that will do for now ¬_¬
I got love for you if were born in the 80's...yeah!

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue May 08, 2007 4:47 pm

DIZZY!!! :D
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Tue May 08, 2007 7:08 pm

Seabass, you made a heinous mistake in your list.

Outrun - was poor on the Megadrive, and as for "It's the closest your gonna get driving a ferrai with a hot female".

I think you need to play the Saturn version.
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

seabass

Post by seabass » Tue May 08, 2007 8:25 pm

EvilArmourKing wrote:Seabass, you made a heinous mistake in your list.

Outrun - was poor on the Megadrive, and as for "It's the closest your gonna get driving a ferrai with a hot female".

I think you need to play the Saturn version.
Oooo will I be expecting the SS version in the post sometime?...No :(...well it was worth a try.

Meh really that statement is more true for the recent versions. I was just trying to be humourous.

As for the game itself, I enjoyed it...then again it was the only version I played bar arcade version

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Thu May 10, 2007 12:49 pm

Altered Beast
Golden Axe
Road Rash
Techno Cop
The Immortal
Cool Spot
E-Swat
Toejam & Earl
Toejam & Earl II
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat II
Sonic The Hedgehog
Streets Of Rage
Streets Of Rage II
Streets Of Rage III
WWF Royal Rumble

Just to name a few
Press Play On Tape

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Thu May 10, 2007 1:31 pm

ALtered Beast???

Mortal Kombat? :evil:

No this is just getting silly :wink:

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Thu May 10, 2007 2:46 pm

Gunstar Heroes
Golden Axe II
Streets Of Rage 2
Bio Hazard Battle
Rolling Thunder 2
Revenge Of Shinobi
Gynoug
Mercs
Strider

seabass

Post by seabass » Thu May 10, 2007 2:56 pm

EvilArmourKing wrote:ALtered Beast???

Heh these were good games when they came out...well more like they did give me some fond memories

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri May 11, 2007 5:07 am

EvilArmourKing wrote:ALtered Beast???

I agree with you nostaliga only streches so far, Altered beast got bad reviews when it came out. Why is it that the game has such a place in people's hearts? last battle got slated equally as bad and yet you don't really hear people talk about that game very much. Mortal Kombat has always been a pale shadow of SF2, I can't even understand why they get compared!

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Fri May 11, 2007 6:51 am

Altered beast got bad reviews when it came out. Why is it that the game has such a place in people's hearts?
Because prior to Sonic, Altered BEast was the pack-in game with the Mega Drive, and as such represents many peoples first experience of the system, perhaps?
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

bosher

Post by bosher » Fri May 11, 2007 9:00 am

did any body have an imported game called bas**rd?? it was for the mega drive i dont know what it was about, but i had it
davey bosher says relax!

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Sat May 12, 2007 5:32 pm

Midnight Resistance!

seabass

Post by seabass » Sat May 12, 2007 6:35 pm

learnedrobb wrote:
Altered beast got bad reviews when it came out. Why is it that the game has such a place in people's hearts?
Because prior to Sonic, Altered BEast was the pack-in game with the Mega Drive, and as such represents many peoples first experience of the system, perhaps?
It's sort of like why I love Battle Arena Toshinden...it was the first PSX games I played and I was wowed by a) Eiji's stage music, b) the graphics and c) Ellis (the gorgeoues green haired girl). Yeah Tekken had better gameplay but there was something charming abt BAT.

Another fighting game with charm - Bloody Roar

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Sun May 13, 2007 8:17 am

I got my Mega Drive in September 1990 for my 9th birthday Altered Beast came with it so my memory is quite nostalgic.

I love the game anyway though.

I also got Golden Axe at the same time too.

I also have Last Battle.

Not a GREAT game, but I like it all the same.

A couple of other games I'd reccomend would be

Budokan
censored Tracy
Haunting Starring Polterguy
Colums
Press Play On Tape