Anybody going to the Funspot tournament this year?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Moon Jump

Anybody going to the Funspot tournament this year?

Post by Moon Jump » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:22 pm

Hey folks. Since Retro Gamer is the first place I heard about FunSpot I figured some of you guys might be coming over for the tournament in May. The only info I have is from their site, and it's not much...
Thursday-Sunday, May 31-June 3
INTERNATIONAL CLASSIC VIDEO & PINBALL TOURNAMENT
World-class players from around the world compete on the classics.
Info: Gary, Director 603-393-7903
Nothing else on their site, just stuff from last year's tournament. I'm not sure how the entrance fee works, all I know is you pay $20 to get in, but I'm not sure if that means the machines are all on free play or what. If anybody has been there that can fill me in that'd be great!

The only other thing cool is there is a guy named Nick Hutt, that visited one of my YouTube videos from the UK who has the worlds record in Space Harrier. He saw the video of me playing the full motion version and he wants to try to break the record on that machine!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg80OLBoC4U
Click there for the video of me playing Space Harrier.

So if your going, or know of anybody going to the tournament this May, let me know! Hope to see you guys there!

sandinista

Post by sandinista » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:36 pm

I was there last year , might make it out there this year too , yet ... they have a group of machines that are the designated games for the tournament . You only need to pay the entrance fee if you`re going to enter it . Otherwise you can just play whatever games you like . The machines are not on freeplay . I payed the entrance fee ( though didn`t enter the competition ) This obviously helps support the event , and you get a few things in the entrance pack , like 200 tokens or so , a name badge , a Funspot key ring , and a few other bits and bobs .
Pretty sure there will be a few Brits there this year again , Tony Temple , Greg Mott , and Nick Hutt have all talked about going .
It`s a great event and you`re sure to have a fantastic time :D

Moon Jump

Post by Moon Jump » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:47 pm

sandinista wrote:I was there last year , might make it out there this year too , yet ... they have a group of machines that are the designated games for the tournament . You only need to pay the entrance fee if you`re going to enter it . Otherwise you can just play whatever games you like . The machines are not on freeplay . I payed the entrance fee ( though didn`t enter the competition ) This obviously helps support the event , and you get a few things in the entrance pack , like 200 tokens or so , a name badge , a Funspot key ring , and a few other bits and bobs .
Pretty sure there will be a few Brits there this year again , Tony Temple , Greg Mott , and Nick Hutt have all talked about going .
It`s a great event and you`re sure to have a fantastic time :D

Good to hear some folks from the UK are going to make the trip. One thing I'd like to know is were did you guys stay for the week? When we went in January we got a room at a Hilton because my dad had some points on his rewards card so we got the room for free.

I checked the Weirs Beach chamber of commerce and they have a ton of places to stay, but I just wanted to know what are the best places to go because there are a lot of them to pick from.

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:47 pm

The only games that I would travel to play people in a tournament would be :

Tekken 5 DR
Tekken 6 - I believe this is where I will get my first trial of it.

Soul Calibur 4 - (If it gets released)!

Hardly RETRO :lol:

What kind of fighting games do they have at this event (if any)?
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

Moon Jump

Post by Moon Jump » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:40 am

None at the tournament. Funspot is mostly about classic arcade games. It's sad when you can count the number of fighters they have on one hand. They had MKII, MK3, 2 Primal Rage's, Street Fighter Championship Edition and a Darkstalkers with a broken controller.

The one major gripe I have about FunSpot is while their collection of classic games is unmatched by ANY arcade I have ever been to in my life, they do not really have any newer games. But there are a couple of other arcades in the area that have newer games, but since I went in the dead of January none of them were open.

If it's fighting games your into the best bets on the east cost are China Town Fair in New York City and 8 on the Break in Dunellen New Jersey.

CTF has two Tekken 5 DR machines running non-stop with tons of players and they also have a great collection of Capcom and SNK fighters. They also got Arcania Heart in a few weeks ago and I want to try that out.

8 on the Break has a huge tournament, ECC (East Cost Championships) every Memorial Day, but I'm not sure if they include their ONE Tekken 5 DR machine into the mix. If your a Capcom fighting fan, that is the place to be when they hold the ECC. It gets so crowded you can't even walk because so many people are crowded around the machines for the matches.

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:20 am

Moon Jump wrote:None at the tournament. Funspot is mostly about classic arcade games. It's sad when you can count the number of fighters they have on one hand. They had MKII, MK3, 2 Primal Rage's, Street Fighter Championship Edition and a Darkstalkers with a broken controller.

The one major gripe I have about FunSpot is while their collection of classic games is unmatched by ANY arcade I have ever been to in my life, they do not really have any newer games. But there are a couple of other arcades in the area that have newer games, but since I went in the dead of January none of them were open.

If it's fighting games your into the best bets on the east cost are China Town Fair in New York City and 8 on the Break in Dunellen New Jersey.

CTF has two Tekken 5 DR machines running non-stop with tons of players and they also have a great collection of Capcom and SNK fighters. They also got Arcania Heart in a few weeks ago and I want to try that out.

8 on the Break has a huge tournament, ECC (East Cost Championships) every Memorial Day, but I'm not sure if they include their ONE Tekken 5 DR machine into the mix. If your a Capcom fighting fan, that is the place to be when they hold the ECC. It gets so crowded you can't even walk because so many people are crowded around the machines for the matches.
Oh. My. Word!!!!!!!

China Town Fair!! I was there in Sept and Oct 2000, when they had Tekken Tag Tournament in there.

I learnt alot from several of the players I met while I was there, and yes - they have a fantastic assortment of classic games.

When I was there gettin my ass handed to me on a plate, the other really big game was Marvel Vs Capcom which was just opposite on the corner.

I love China Town Fair! Do you go in there alot?

I may be down there this year in Aug for a while, be a laugh to hook up and spa. Thats if you can play fighting games :wink:

Yeah, when I was there that had lots of the King of fighters. Think the only one missing at the time was KoF 96. No big loss :lol:

I can imagine T5 DR gets alot of action, but truth be told , the whole Tekken series lost something after Tekken Tag. Did Tekken 4 do much business? Nobody would play it in London or Manchester after the first couple of weeks - hope Tekken 6 isn't the same, in fact - I hope it's different to T5 so I may be able to enjoy it a bit more.

Moon Jump

Post by Moon Jump » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:45 pm

I visit CTF once and a while. I'm on Long Island so I got to take the train or drive out there.

I thought Tekken 4 killed the series, more people played Tag then 4 when it came out. For me, I'm more of a Virtua Fighter fan and they got rid of the machine in favor of Arcania Heart. When ever I would play the VF4 machine I would be the only person playing it, very rarely I'd play it with somebody else.

The biggest games at CTF now are 3rd Strike, Tekken 5 and Marvel vs Capcom 2. All three of those games have two cabs running the games.

My favorite is still the one MvC2 machine that says "PLAY AT YOUR OWN RISK!!" on the top of the machine. That's not because the machine is broken, it's because the people that play there are in-friggen-sane. I've heard stories of a guy who won by only throwing and had his opponent pick his characters, and he still won! So needless to say, I don't play that game anymore. :shock:

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:06 pm

Was never into the Street Fighter spin off's anyway : The sense of a graity free game field is just too much, I am of course referring to the air combos and air time when jumping - it's just all too much.

Mortal Kombat 2 has/had the best engine physics.

May have to challenge you for a laugh, if I make it over there this year!

sandinista

Post by sandinista » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:30 pm

Moon Jump wrote: Good to hear some folks from the UK are going to make the trip. One thing I'd like to know is were did you guys stay for the week? When we went in January we got a room at a Hilton because my dad had some points on his rewards card so we got the room for free.

I checked the Weirs Beach chamber of commerce and they have a ton of places to stay, but I just wanted to know what are the best places to go because there are a lot of them to pick from.
Yeah , there`s plenty of places to stay . I think Sun Valley is the only place within walking distance maybe , and that`s probably already booked up . We stopped at the bay Top Motel last year , 60$ a night , clean and tidy , and with the exchange rate as it is , pretty cheap . Mile or so from Funspot maybe . Players seemed to stay at all the different locales , didn`t hear too much griping about the accomodation anywhere . Heard Greg Mott and a friend , plus TT are definites for this year from the Uk . I`m still hopeful ........ best holiday I ever had :D