Flappy bird

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26543
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Flappy bird

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:14 pm

Why not? People still dig out Copter on occasion. Some people, hard as it may be to believe, even play Amstrad games. Nostalgia knows no bounds.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
OldSkoolCoolFool
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:43 pm

Re: Flappy bird

Post by OldSkoolCoolFool » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:46 pm

I just don't get all the hate for this... Sure there may be better versions of what is essentially the same very basic game but its costs nothing and its not trying to empty your bank account with in app purchases.
Jagfest_UK wrote:Looks like your use of the letter T made your trousers fall down :wink:

speedlolita
Posts: 7056
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:46 pm

Re: Flappy bird

Post by speedlolita » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:52 pm

OldSkoolCoolFool wrote:I just don't get all the hate for this... Sure there may be better versions of what is essentially the same very basic game but its costs nothing and its not trying to empty your bank account with in app purchases.
Hating stuff is cool!
Logged out 15/07/2014.


User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24297
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Flappy bird

Post by DPrinny » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:45 am

GigaPepsiMan wrote:
DPrinny wrote:
GigaPepsiMan wrote:Mobile Gaming is all fads and has no long term appeal.
Bit like most things in life
I don't think people will be playing candy crush and flappy bird in 20 years time.
Probably because due to the online only side of things they won't be able to. Prob is with mobile games is theres more copy pasting going on than in EAs development studio
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

User avatar
GigaPepsiMan
Posts: 2692
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:06 pm

Re: Flappy bird

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:52 pm

So thinking about it and having read the reasons why flappy bird is being taken down I feel some sympathy towards the person who made it. The internet is full of horrible people. the same kin of horrible people have are saying hateful things about the people who made it for no other reason than he made it and gained a small amount of fame, apparently the guy has had death threats aimed and him and I can believe it to be quite honest.

speedlolita
Posts: 7056
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:46 pm

Re: Flappy bird

Post by speedlolita » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:57 pm

GigaPepsiMan wrote:So thinking about it and having read the reasons why flappy bird is being taken down I feel some sympathy towards the person who made it. The internet is full of horrible people. the same kin of horrible people have are saying hateful things about the people who made it for no other reason than he made it and gained a small amount of fame, apparently the guy has had death threats aimed and him and I can believe it to be quite honest.
They're faceless death threats though. What is he, a 13 year old girl? Man up.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

User avatar
BobS
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun May 28, 2006 4:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Flappy bird

Post by BobS » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:50 pm

If people need to get a retro-flavoured fix of this game, there's a ZX81 version now available called Quack!.

http://www.bobs-stuff.co.uk/quack.html

Image

User avatar
GigaPepsiMan
Posts: 2692
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:06 pm

Re: Flappy bird

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:05 pm

speedlolita wrote:
GigaPepsiMan wrote:So thinking about it and having read the reasons why flappy bird is being taken down I feel some sympathy towards the person who made it. The internet is full of horrible people. the same kin of horrible people have are saying hateful things about the people who made it for no other reason than he made it and gained a small amount of fame, apparently the guy has had death threats aimed and him and I can believe it to be quite honest.
They're faceless death threats though. What is he, a 13 year old girl? Man up.
That isn't fair at all not everyone can take abuse online, you are part of the problem. He should not have "man up", he sin' the problem, people with toxic attitudes are the problem.
I'm not going to say this guy is completely innocent but let's look at this from the creators view point. You make a free phone game, millions download it , suddenly out of nowhere everyone knows about you , there are youtube videos of your game with millions of views, people go on about how your game makes everyone angry and frustrated, your twitter feed explodes with you receiving thousands of tweets, many of which are from people who are either saying "your game sucks " or. "You suck because you made this game".

For someone who apparently lives a quiet life without much hassle this can be a huge shock to the system. I see many people talk as if everyone shod be able to take crap on the internet, you need to remember that not everyone has been using forums for 5 years, to the average person that kind of attention can be unsettling.

speedlolita
Posts: 7056
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:46 pm

Re: Flappy bird

Post by speedlolita » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:33 pm

GigaPepsiMan wrote: That isn't fair at all not everyone can take abuse online, you are part of the problem.
Why? Because I've used the internet long enough to not take anything on it seriously? :roll:
Logged out 15/07/2014.

User avatar
GigaPepsiMan
Posts: 2692
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:06 pm

Re: Flappy bird

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:11 pm

speedlolita wrote:
GigaPepsiMan wrote: That isn't fair at all not everyone can take abuse online, you are part of the problem.
Why? Because I've used the internet long enough to not take anything on it seriously? :roll:
No, it's because your attitude is no different than that of a person who tells a bullied kid to just ignore the bullying.

Why aren't we condemning the people who have made this person feel like he has to pull the game to get some peace? They are the reason the game is being pulled. I don't even like Flappy Bird but I can understand why the creator is so upset about it, he made something in his own free time, he gave it away for free (there are rumors he was earning 50k a day from ads but I reckon that's bollocks), his intention wasn't to make money, he just wanted to make a game. He did something constructive and thought he'd be doing a good thing putting a game out there, instead he gets people sending him messages telling him they hate him for making a game. How is that fair and why should he have to put up with it?

User avatar
GigaPepsiMan
Posts: 2692
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:06 pm

Re: Flappy bird

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:51 pm

Sorry to double post but this needs attention bringing to it.
https://twitter.com/search?q=%40dongato ... f=realtime

oh isn't Dong Nguyen such a sissy girl wuss he can't even take a bit of banta oi oi

User avatar
outdated_gamer
Posts: 2597
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:14 pm

Re: Flappy bird

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:53 pm

Joust and Balloon Fight seem better to me than this game. :wink:

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14861
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: Flappy bird

Post by Megamixer » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:20 pm

GigaPepsiMan wrote:Why aren't we condemning the people who have made this person feel like he has to pull the game to get some peace? They are the reason the game is being pulled.
Agreed. These people (probably) wouldn't say such things to the game creator's face; they are gutless scum hiding behind their keyboards and online personas, much like 95% of Youtube comments along the lines of "you are wrong so go and die" etc. etc. I've been on the internet long enough and yet the way in which anonymity brings out the absolute worst in people still surprises me.

I do get speedlolita's point about not taking all of this sh1t seriously because all this keyboard warrior crap will never go beyond words on a screen but but we also can't decide on how somebody should react when we haven't been in their shoes/their mind.

The internet is full of nasty personalities but hopefully this game developer dude can brush it off.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24297
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Flappy bird

Post by DPrinny » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:24 pm

Unlike his game, thats just like a reskin of an old NES game that few gave a toss about (Mirco Mike on the Action 52)
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests