Do you ever settle for inferior/lesser versions?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

GigaPepsiMan

Do you ever settle for inferior/lesser versions?

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:14 pm

So I've been playing through Phantasy Star Online Version 2 on Dreamcast and I've been enjoying it far more than I should have any right too, I've owned this since the summer but have only started playing it now. I know the Gamecube version of PSO is better in every conceivable way (it's on Xbox too but I don't want to play it on that) but having been unable to get my hands on it again I've settled for the Dreamcast version even though it has less of everything.

Anyone ever do this with modern games, when the option is out there do you stick with what you have or do you go out of your way to have the absolute best version of something.

Megamixer

Re: Do you ever settle for inferior/lesser versions?

Post by Megamixer » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:22 pm

As long a something isn't broken or terminally glitched on a platform that it's easier to get said game for then I'm fine with it. Stuff like the PS2 port of CvSNK2 for example: it isn't the best conversion at all but the things that make it inferior aren't things that I notice enough (or care about) to spend more money on a different system and copy of the game.

For current games, I always tend to get the GOTY or 'complete' editions where possible that have DLC on-disc.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:40 pm

I remember the Saturn version of Wipeout 2097, pretty shocking next to the PS1 version, about 12fps, scraggy framerate, gave it a chance at the time and loved it, plays differently enough to sorta be slightly different as a game, played really well,100%ed it. Odd one. PS1 FTW though!

Roo

Post by Roo » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:36 pm

As a Wii owner who didn't have any of the other seventh-generation consoles until 2012, I was settling for inferior versions of games for years, most notably the FIFA and WWE games. I soldiered on with them for a good four/five years until I decided I wanted 'real' FIFA. My 360 is just a FIFA Box, mind.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:10 pm

I was more than happy with ST Starglider 2, which lacked the Amiga's sampled sounds (they were originally put in, but it reduced game speed by too big a factor so they were removed).Played through HL2 Eps 1 and Eps 2 on PS3 1st, completed both and then bought later on 360.Played a lot of Spellbound on A8 for years before i picked up a C64, so as others said, unless a game is actually 'broken', minor cosmetic differences are'nt too big a deal for myself.

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:09 pm

I really liked the MD SF2, primarily because it was such a brilliant technical achievement - bar a few colour/sound issues, it was on par with the SNES version, you'd never'd thought Fighting Masters ever happened, the MD was being SQUEEZED.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:02 pm

Megamixer wrote:As long a something isn't broken or terminally glitched on a platform that it's easier to get said game for then I'm fine with it. Stuff like the PS2 port of CvSNK2 for example: it isn't the best conversion at all but the things that make it inferior aren't things that I notice enough (or care about) to spend more money on a different system and copy of the game.

For current games, I always tend to get the GOTY or 'complete' editions where possible that have DLC on-disc.

I always enjoyed the PS1 Street Fighter Alpha games - perhaps they were missing a few frames of animation compared to the Saturn version but I play hem at a casual level where Id' never notice the difference

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:26 pm

SF Alpha 3 was stunning on the PS1, guess I could say I played the PAL, bordered PS version much more than the DC one. Seemed to fit better on the system, for me at least.

errolwd40

Post by errolwd40 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:10 pm

Back in the late nineties I had the choice of Hydro Thunder on the n64 or dreamcast. I plumped for the n64 version as I loved the pad for racing games, bought the dreamcast version about 4 years ago and although the graphics and sound are much better I prefer the lesser n64 version for some reason. Likewise, today I always buy multi format games on ps3 rather than the often slightly better 360 versions. Again not sure why, I think I just like the underdog ( I support Charlton Athletic) :)

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:31 pm

The way the graphics on both 360/PS3 display is subtly different, the PS3 is softer and slightly more 'luscious', the 360 is bolder and sharper and more robust. Both have strengths but few seem to speak on this fact.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:43 am

The only version of the original Doom game I have is Doom on the Saturn :D Its awful, I play an eboot of the PS1 version or the homebrew on on a Hacked Wii.

I will settle for a marginally inferior version, but not if its catastrophically flawed and a dire port. Doom on the Saturn is such a port. I'd be happy to play Duke 3D on the Saturn, N64 or PS1 despite all being worse than the PC counterpart though.

Speedball 2 is one of my all time favourite games, and the best version is on the Amiga. I can however, still settle and play the Megadrive version as its decent enough, just got slightly weaker sound. I however will NOT play the 8-bit Master System version which is poor.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:54 am

I normally stick with what i know but quite like checking out other versions

Eg Space Invaders, i stick with the Atari 2600 version and MAME as i have the best memories of those two, versions on other systems dont interest me.

Bomb Jack i love, Speccy/MAME but did enjoy trying out Mighty Bombjack on the NES i never knew about (and then later Bombjack Twin on MAME)

R-Types another, had this on MAME/Speccy/Gameboy mono and prefer playing it on those versions, PC Engine is good but i never had one back in the day so prefer the older versions i'm used to

I really like the Speccy version of Paperboy as i have the rose tinted memories but also i love the way it looks on the Speccy, yeah sounds odd but the monochrome detailed graphics i really enjoy seeing, find it amazing how they converted some of those classic arcade games into 48k and the way they did it